Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My wife is a teacher and she is getting hammered. Admittedly she works at a private school meaning more is expected but she normally works 2days a week but at the moment she is working around 4 days cause everything is online (but still only getting paid for 2 days)
Yeah but they still get government funding. My sister in law works in a private school also. High school in port Stephens region. She said it was hard initially to get head around the on line stuff but doing it easy. I think the primary school teachers have it easy. She does year 12

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah fair call. Agree with all but unions. The teachers still have a strong representation. And there clearly going against what our prime minister is saying. The nurses have a large union also, but there still doing what’s been asked. Personally in my job I can’t physically keep the required separation. Work with on a standard week 30 different people. So more exposed than teachers. Yet because if we don’t work don’t get paid there’s no choice. Haven’t heard anyone complain though
Yep I understand it’s not easy for some jobs..and I feel bad for people like yourself..I just think if we can use technology to our advantage for some jobs we can reduce infection rates..

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Starting to wonder what the time frame is to totally stamp out this nasty shit from earth, its going to take a few years.
I am over Scott Morrison as well.

But think he will be around for awhile, same as Dutton.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but they still get government funding. My sister in law works in a private school also. High school in port Stephens region. She said it was hard initially to get head around the on line stuff but doing it easy. I think the primary school teachers have it easy. She does year 12
My wife is a primary teacher she certainly doesn't have it easy. Guess some bosses just work people harder then others

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why are we talking about teachers? There’s no debate—they have it easy. Work half days every day and get fuck loads of leave every year. Non competitive environment breeds the lack of quality and the lazy ness. You have to be self motivated to become a good teacher and that’s about 0.00001% of them

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
how hard is it to keep your distance in a queue ffs?

because of the rules I can only see 1 girlfriend at a time now, so I told everyone to line up outside my house and they cant even follow simple instructions to keep apart

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
how hard is it to keep your distance in a queue ffs?

because of the rules I can only see 1 girlfriend at a time now, so I told everyone to line up outside my house and they cant even follow simple instructions to keep apart
It all makes sense now, you are Nathan Cleary!!

4f9df7b0-8990-11ea-9edd-bbf8bc7c1f27.jpeg.jpg

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Well my point is young adults get it..
And children also catch colds, influenza and all manor of unfortunate diseases but we don't stop school for them.

The risk of death for young children as a result of this chinese virus is unbelievably small (and possibly further confined in part to children with pre-existing conditions):

Take a look at the death stats by age for America (CDC website April 29) and it becomes very clear that young kids are (generally speaking) not at risk from the virus. The rates of death in children are generally in the thousands of 1 percentage point. This is not a good reason to stop school from going ahead.

33,513 total deaths in America from Chinese/Wuhan virus
Under 1 year old: 4 (0.01194%)
1 - 4 years old: 2 (0.00597%)
5 - 14 years old: 3 (0.00895%)
15 - 24: 37 (0.11040%)

The stats do not tell us whether these children also had other pre-existing conditions or whether they were truly healthy. I think most reasonable people would assume at least a number of these children would have had pre existing conditions.

For Australia there has been 89 deaths however I couldn't find a table that breaks the deaths down by age. From memory I'm pretty certain that almost all of them are those aged 70 and above with a minority number being in 50's and 60's and possibly one in their 40's?

There have been no deaths in Australia for anyone in their 30's, 20's, teens or any infants.

In addition, the situation in Australia is that the virus is under control, health authorities are able to trace infections in terms of their source (mostly). Most infections have been sourced from overseas (i.e. there is limited spread locally, and most sources were previously travelers returning from overseas.

There are suspicions that teachers (or at least their unions) are playing power games or are just generally lazy and enjoying being paid to do minimal work.

If there are teachers who have existing conditions and are at risk - they should be separated and continued to be employed and paid (and perhaps confined to office or administrative duties for the interim period).

If there are students who have existing conditions, they should also be managed separately from the 99.9% of the other healthy students.

Long story short, the education of children is extremely important and kids staying home is doing an enormous disservice to them. Particularly year 12 students who have their HSC only months away, need to be back at school in front of their teachers.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah fair call. Agree with all but unions. The teachers still have a strong representation. And there clearly going against what our prime minister is saying. The nurses have a large union also, but there still doing what’s been asked. Personally in my job I can’t physically keep the required separation. Work with on a standard week 30 different people. So more exposed than teachers. Yet because if we don’t work don’t get paid there’s no choice. Haven’t heard anyone complain though
Let me get this right the NSW liberal party are bowing to union pressure?

Lmfao

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And children also catch colds, influenza and all manor of unfortunate diseases but we don't stop school for them.

The risk of death for young children as a result of this chinese virus is unbelievably small (and possibly further confined in part to children with pre-existing conditions):

Take a look at the death stats by age for America (CDC website April 29) and it becomes very clear that young kids are (generally speaking) not at risk from the virus. The rates of death in children are generally in the thousands of 1 percentage point. This is not a good reason to stop school from going ahead.

33,513 total deaths in America from Chinese/Wuhan virus
Under 1 year old: 4 (0.01194%)
1 - 4 years old: 2 (0.00597%)
5 - 14 years old: 3 (0.00895%)
15 - 24: 37 (0.11040%)

The stats do not tell us whether these children also had other pre-existing conditions or whether they were truly healthy. I think most reasonable people would assume at least a number of these children would have had pre existing conditions.

For Australia there has been 89 deaths however I couldn't find a table that breaks the deaths down by age. From memory I'm pretty certain that almost all of them are those aged 70 and above with a minority number being in 50's and 60's and possibly one in their 40's?

There have been no deaths in Australia for anyone in their 30's, 20's, teens or any infants.

In addition, the situation in Australia is that the virus is under control, health authorities are able to trace infections in terms of their source (mostly). Most infections have been sourced from overseas (i.e. there is limited spread locally, and most sources were previously travelers returning from overseas.

There are suspicions that teachers (or at least their unions) are playing power games or are just generally lazy and enjoying being paid to do minimal work.

If there are teachers who have existing conditions and are at risk - they should be separated and continued to be employed and paid (and perhaps confined to office or administrative duties for the interim period).

If there are students who have existing conditions, they should also be managed separately from the 99.9% of the other healthy students.

Long story short, the education of children is extremely important and kids staying home is doing an enormous disservice to them. Particularly year 12 students who have their HSC only months away, need to be back at school in front of their teachers.
Firstly it’s a lot more contagious than a simple flu..

But back to my point..technology is there use it..it’s about reducing the chance of spreading it by limiting the amount of people it comes in contact with..that’s the point..if we can take sections of the public..who can work remotely do it..as it can be for learning..As for year 12..certain subjects can be easily done remotely..those that can’t exceptions are made..it’s actually a more attentive approach..it’s more one on one..
Nice throw away line about suspicious of not working and being lazy at home..Have you had experience teaching a class online? You are the stats man..I’ll tell you it is lot more monitored than teaching in a room..the workload is just as intense..if not more..
Additionally im not advocating for remote learning for the rest of the year..only for term 2..term 3 should be the goal..things should be better known by than...flu season winds down.. You can’t get complacent yet..don’t want to go back too early.. be sure..and be safe..

Last edited:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You think America has problems with retarded leaders then Brazil steps up
More than 5,000 Brazilians have lost their lives to the coronavirus – even more people than in China, if its official statistics are to be believed.

But on Tuesday night Brazil’s president shrugged off the news. “So what?” Jair Bolsonaro told reporters when asked about the record 474 deaths that day. “I’m sorry. What do you want me to do?”

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Only 3 new cases NZ, keeping on the low low single digits for the past 12 days now, with no more deaths.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Firstly it’s a lot more contagious than a simple flu..

Nice throw away line about suspicious of not working and being lazy at home..Have you had experience teaching a class online? You are the stats man..I’ll tell you it is lot more monitored than teaching in a room..the workload is just as intense..if not more..
Additionally im not advocating for remote learning for the rest of the year..only for term 2..term 3 should be the goal..things should be better known by than...flu season winds down.. You can’t get complacent yet..don’t want to go back too early.. be sure..and be safe..
It's too late for year 12 students if we wait till term 3. For the rest of school age children, it also does enormous damage as it will mean they have all effectively missed half a year of education

Overall, my point is that it is simply unnecessary for children to be staying home. They are not at risk and it's perfectly safe for them to go to school.

Mr 95% said:
Nice throw away line about suspicious of not working and being lazy at home.
It wasn't a throwaway line, it's a general perception out there in the community and it's only growing at the moment while teachers try to continue to stay at home. Arguing that I can't have an opinion because I'm not a teacher or I don't know a teacher is silly. Anyone can have an opinion so long as it is well reasoned.

For the record my sister in law is a teacher and my Mum was a teacher. My sister in law openly admits to the laziness of (some) teachers.

distance learning is not effective for a reason - learning works best when you have human interaction with not just your teacher but also your peers. You can't sit at home away from the eyes of your teacher and peers while your parents work at home and expect to effectively learn something.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's too late for year 12 students if we wait till term 3. For the rest of school age children, it also does enormous damage as it will mean they have all effectively missed half a year of education

Overall, my point is that it is simply unnecessary for children to be staying home. They are not at risk and it's perfectly safe for them to go to school.

It wasn't a throwaway line, it's a general perception out there in the community and it's only growing at the moment while teachers try to continue to stay at home. Arguing that I can't have an opinion because I'm not a teacher or I don't know a teacher is silly. Anyone can have an opinion so long as it is well reasoned.

For the record my sister in law is a teacher and my Mum was a teacher. My sister in law openly admits to the laziness of (some) teachers.

distance learning is not effective for a reason - learning works best when you have human interaction with not just your teacher but also your peers. You can't sit at home away from the eyes of your teacher and peers while your parents work at home and expect to effectively learn something.
“Distance learning” is a massive disadvantage for any student, especially year 12. Anyone who doesn’t think so, is toeing the teachers union line and won’t be convinced.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know I rag on Sweden for their approach (especially considering that they have a relatively high death rate compared). Odd thing though. Sweden is pretty much the only country who has followed the World Health Organisation's full recommendations.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah well there are opinions called qualified opinions ..it’s from hands on experience.. And your gross generalisation is just that..you generalise public opinion..ie. that they think teachers aren’t working..and you generalise that teachers are not working hard ..which is simply not true.. Additionally, I did not say you couldn’t have an opinion I just don’t agree with yours..
Have you ever heard of the School of the Air in Australia? Look it’s obviously not the best situation..but in extraordinary times..different methods need to be taken..and I don’t think it’s a good idea to go back to school at this moment..not to spread the disease just within the classroom..but swelling the population who do go to work.. It has a knock on effect..more people leads to the possibility of more spreading through squashed trains, buses..you need to limit people out there.. That’s my argument..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.