Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Contact tracing can be very helpful in the intermediate future. I couldn't point it out anymore, but I saw a video from an American in China. They've basically all been given personal swipe cards and most shopping destinations have machines to read them. So if a new case is discovered they can track the vast majority of people that have been in proximity to that person outside of the home. It's less intrusive than an app on your phone, but probably every bit as effective. The main problem I see with this at present is that for an indeterminate amount of time you may transfer the virus to others before you become symptomatic. If you are infected for a week without knowing, you can spread it to many people, who in turn can spread it before knowing they're infected. So while the machines used to track people's movements might be expensive initially. They've largely allowed China to keep on top of new infections.

So while many people see the reduction in cases in China as a conspiracy, I personally think they've developed common sense strategies to stay on top of the new cases in an active way. Rather than pointing fingers at them we should be learning from the successful strategies they're using and tailor our response in similar ways.

Lockdown are helping to curb the spread, but it is still spreading. Tracking and testing can go a long way.

I don't know what measures NZ plan to put in place in conjunction with the reduced level. As you say, it's still leaving the potential to undo the good work so far if people don't take care. But throughout the world some balance needs to be found between perpetual lockdowns and the need to function as a society. Ardern seems pretty switched on and hopefully she and the rest of the NZ government bring a good strategy into play to trace contact between infected people and those who come into proximity with them.
In the early days here, after the first lot of disembarkation cases from Ruby Princess, two people returned to our little town with the instructions of self isolation. They did so and a day after they returned were contacted by Health Department and directed to be tested for the virus. The gentleman was positive, but had only the symptom of a slight headache, nothing else and the woman negative. Those people had minimal contact on the way home as they used their own vehicle and had one stop on the way. So contact tracing would have been pretty much easier then than after extended contact. For there to be effective tracing after quarantine conditions are lifted it will be interesting to see what is actually put in place.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Regarding children, a new complication in children has started popping up. It's important to note that this is still fairly rare in children. But it shows that children are not immune

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...rome-emerges-in-children-20200428-p54nqb.html

'Very worried': Britain issues alert as possible new coronavirus syndrome emerges in children

London: Health officials in Britain warn that a potential new coronavirus-related syndrome is emerging in children, with a rise in cases prompting an urgent alert to doctors across the country.

The alert revealed an "apparent rise in the number of children of all ages presenting with a multi-system inflammatory state requiring intensive care across London and also in other regions of the United Kingdom".
A study done in Australia recently indicated that children who catch Chinese/Wuhan virus generally do not end up passing it on to others (even with close contact). Specifics below:

18 students and staff who contracted the virus were tracked across 15 different schools. Approx 850 people had come within close contact of the 18 infected kids and only 2 of them contracted Covid, indicating the virus does not spread easily from children.

All of this makes me think children should be 100% back at school already and not waiting unnecessarily at home

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The fake news won't give us the truth. We are in for 2 years or more of this bullshit covid19 garbage. In that 2 years we will see the tracking systems get even more draconian.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Our narrow media coverage would have us believe that we are the only country, apart from USA, with whom China are trying to bully and threaten with trade repercusions. It does look they are going harder at us though.

But there are many more Western democracies standing up to them and wanting answers and a comprehensive investigation.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Macron questions China's handling of outbreak
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52319462

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A study done in Australia recently indicated that children who catch Chinese/Wuhan virus generally do not end up passing it on to others (even with close contact). Specifics below:

18 students and staff who contracted the virus were tracked across 15 different schools. Approx 850 people had come within close contact of the 18 infected kids and only 2 of them contracted Covid, indicating the virus does not spread easily from children.

All of this makes me think children should be 100% back at school already and not waiting unnecessarily at home
How old were the kids? Did it in include senior students? When does the virus decide you are no longer a kid?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
My local Coles has toilet paper galore. No one's buying any :tearsofjoy:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
More us citizens has died from the coronavirus than the Vietnam war

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
What about liquid hand soap?...harder to get than sanitizer!
You want to know where to look? Go to your nearest Asian variety store there. I saw the hand sanitizer there and bars of soap relatively cheap. To be honest I'm not a big fan of the liquid soap as I think the bars do a better thorough job.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
How old were the kids? Did it in include senior students? When does the virus decide you are no longer a kid?
It included both primary school and high school students.

As for the 'virus deciding you are no longer a kid', I'm not entirely sure what your question is. It seems well established the virus is fatal for the elderly and people with existing immune and respiratory conditions. Whereas the virus appears (largely) to not affect children.

I would assume that children having only been alive for <18 years have not yet developed any bad illnesses and diseases and are generally healthy human beings and therefore less likely to experience any of the more serious symptoms of the Chinese virus.

However the study also seems to suggest that the transmission to/from children is also far less than amongst adults. It would lend weight to opening schools immediately and having all students back at both primary and high schools.

You can read the results of the study here:

http://ncirs.org.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/NCIRS NSW Schools COVID_Summary_FINAL public_26 April 2020.pdf

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's half the length of the line under your post. How long is the cotton bud part of the stick. Does it hurt or is it just uncomfortable. Hope that the result is negative...
Just uncomfortable. Feels really weird.

Good news is that results came back negative today. Bad news is that I don't know what's wrong with me. Probably just a bad flu.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You want to know what's scary? I think it'll surpass the amount the boxing day tsunami killed :(
You know what's more scarier, that the potential of this once it ravages through 3rd world countries more people could die of starvation than the actual virus

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

I agree. As I said, this condition is rare right now and only happening in one area which suggests that it could be a mutation that's localised. No reason to think the other kids are at risk.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It included both primary school and high school students.

As for the 'virus deciding you are no longer a kid', I'm not entirely sure what your question is. It seems well established the virus is fatal for the elderly and people with existing immune and respiratory conditions. Whereas the virus appears (largely) to not affect children.

I would assume that children having only been alive for <18 years have not yet developed any bad illnesses and diseases and are generally healthy human beings and therefore less likely to experience any of the more serious symptoms of the Chinese virus.

However the study also seems to suggest that the transmission to/from children is also far less than amongst adults. It would lend weight to opening schools immediately and having all students back at both primary and high schools.

You can read the results of the study here:

http://ncirs.org.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/NCIRS NSW Schools COVID_Summary_FINAL public_26 April 2020.pdf
It's definitely a weird one with the kids. Based on loose speculation it could be:

- stronger immune system in kids as they're usually exposed to many things

- lower blood pressure

- stronger lungs and heart

But the weird part is the low spread rate as asymptomatic adults have a fairly high spread rate.

All in all the experts haven't figured it out yet but the important part is that there does seem to be a very low infection rate in kids

Status
Not open for further replies.