Official Todd Greenberg steps down as NRL CEO

Malla

Reaction score
I'm not the CEO for one of the biggest sporting organisations in Australia. Him going in to bat for a speeding drunk driver (not to mention DV exponent) was disgraceful. Why didn't he give character references for anybody else who fucked up during his time as NRL CEO?
He was useless, the tv networks might've had an agenda against him but so what? He was hopeless and paid the price for it. Fair enough result IMO.
That's all I am saying, the TV and media networks had an agenda with him and wanted him gone. Every journo under the sun was having a crack as if it was mandated by their superiors. This is the issue - what happens to the next CEO that falls into the same trap? Then what? A dangerous precedent has been set now moving forward. Keep the networks happy. Let them write absolute garbage, you can't say or do anything about it as the CEO.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Another poster said 'the NRL have never been in a better financial position'. So why is the NRL asking for a loan? Whether it's V'Landys or Greenberg that asked for it, it's on behalf of the NRL. If they are in a great financial state then they shouldn't have to ask for a loan.

Malla

Reaction score
Another poster said 'the NRL have never been in a better financial position'. So why is the NRL asking for a loan? Whether it's V'Landys or Greenberg that asked for it, it's on behalf of the NRL. If they are in a great financial state then they shouldn't have to ask for a loan.
In principal I agree with you, but at the same time nobody would have enough in a 'rainy day' fund to save themselves from what Covid19 has caused. Virgin Aus, after hundreds of millions in funds from the government, has still had to go into voluntary administration. Obviously NRL is a different situation, but in principal it's the same.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
In principal I agree with you, but at the same time nobody would have enough in a 'rainy day' fund to save themselves from what Covid19 has caused. Virgin Aus, after hundreds of millions in funds from the government, has still had to go into voluntary administration. Obviously NRL is a different situation, but in principal it's the same.
Pretty sure the AFL has been able to stand on its own 2 feet through this though.
Fact is the NRL wastes money hand over fist, this virus has just highlighted this. Greenberg was not the only pig slurping more than his share from the trough, but he is the main figurehead of this problem in our game so it's justice that his head rolls first IMO. Hopefully more hangers-on are weeded out of our game as a result, it will be beneficial in the long run.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The media are vultures especially that paul **** bloke. He thrives off of chaos in Rugby League land.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
The media are vultures especially that paul c*** bloke. He thrives off of chaos in Rugby League land.
For sure. They all do though, look through the list of these lowlife *****. Not a decent journalistic piece ever written amongst the lot of them.
Hooper, Weidler, Rothfield, Ritchie, Read, Crawley, Riccio, Badel etc etc etc
They love all the shit surrounding RL because it's all that is keeping them in a job at the moment. They are scum making their living off lies, innuendo and gossip.
One thing I will say for Kent is at least he treads on a few toes and asks some hard questions of people who think they are above reproach. I'll give him that.
One big bonus if the NRL is cancelled for 2020 is that perhaps a few of these "journo" parasites might fall by the wayside in the near future, that would be a huge plus. Imagine getting well paid for just writing/reporting absolute crap that would be better off in Woman's Day. These fuckers have got it made.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That's all I am saying, the TV and media networks had an agenda with him and wanted him gone. Every journo under the sun was having a crack as if it was mandated by their superiors. This is the issue - what happens to the next CEO that falls into the same trap? Then what? A dangerous precedent has been set now moving forward. Keep the networks happy. Let them write absolute garbage, you can't say or do anything about it as the CEO.
Dave Smith, Peter Beattie, John Grant , David Gallop. They all get hounded by Fox and Nine and their media hounds.

Shocking lot of dropkicks who bite the hands who feed them.

Malla

Reaction score
Pretty sure the AFL has been able to stand on its own 2 feet through this though.
Fact is the NRL wastes money hand over fist, this virus has just highlighted this. Greenberg was not the only pig slurping more than his share from the trough, but he is the main figurehead of this problem in our game so it's justice that his head rolls first IMO. Hopefully more hangers-on are weeded out of our game as a result, it will be beneficial in the long run.
Umm did you not hear what the CEO said upon shutting the season down?

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is sooo funny when they set the meme up like the guy on the swing, where it has a long build up then it pans across the different dudes then back to the video for the drop.
Watching, staring, waiting for the inevitable and ready to spring to action.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not saying Greenburg did a good job at all mate. I am saying he is being left out to dry as the scapegoat to a sporting league that is being held by the balls by Newscorp and Ch9.

They wanted Todd gone.

And who cares if he gave a character reference for a drink driver lol I am sure you have a few mates that have done worse that you probably still vouch for.
Greenberg is only one part of the rot in the swamp. When the broadcast deal was announced it was said that the money coming in would allow the NRL to invest in grassroots football among other things. This hasn't happened. Somewhere along the way the money has been siphoned off and it isn't Greenberg alone overseeing the siphoning of the money. I'm glad he's gone. Since he stepped into the CEO role he's been a cancer upon us in terms of punishment for the most minor incidents.

In the grand scheme of things, as mentioned above, he's not the only part of the rot in the swamp. He was just the public face of it. You can manipulate data that gets publicly released any way you want. And I think that the administration has done this very carefully over the years. I just can't understand how the game is able to justify spending so heavily that a small bump in the road is going to break them.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look karma is a bitch
He was parachuted into role from media lackeys that pushed for him and those same clowns got him pushed out.

‘I have no real issue with financial management of the game and those media partners hammering over finances should be calling for the kettle .
Fox making massive losses and is struggling big time , nine got bailed out themselves not long ago and bought out and nrl asked for advance on broadcast money as they were not confident they were going to continue to make payments

‘my issue with Todd is in my opinion him and the nrl under him favoured a few clubs and individuals and ruined the game . also constant kowtowing to media and changing rules mid season , inconsistent punishment to clubs and players . Done nothing to get rid of the wrestle and personally still can’t get over the GI character reference and burgess not having punishment for those photos from his phone

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol now they get their bs broadcast deal with Greenburger gone.

Malla

Reaction score
Greenberg is only one part of the rot in the swamp. When the broadcast deal was announced it was said that the money coming in would allow the NRL to invest in grassroots football among other things. This hasn't happened. Somewhere along the way the money has been siphoned off and it isn't Greenberg alone overseeing the siphoning of the money. I'm glad he's gone. Since he stepped into the CEO role he's been a cancer upon us in terms of punishment for the most minor incidents.

In the grand scheme of things, as mentioned above, he's not the only part of the rot in the swamp. He was just the public face of it. You can manipulate data that gets publicly released any way you want. And I think that the administration has done this very carefully over the years. I just can't understand how the game is able to justify spending so heavily that a small bump in the road is going to break them.
I don't agree with grassroots. I am sick to death of hearing about grass roots footy. Why should that be up to a CEO of a large sporting corporation? End of the day, Greenburg's responsibility is the profitability of the NRL.

Yes he is only part of the swamp, but as you said he is the face of it. As I said before, I am no way acknowledging he did a good job. I can't speak on that because I am not fully across it. The way he treated the Bulldogs, somewhat harsh, but let's be honest - we deserved it after the antics at Mad Monday in 2018. Our coaching and senior front office staff were in attendance. They should have done better.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
TG’s because issue is that he wasn’t a yes man. V’Landys has just sold the game massively short. Ch9 and Fox have fucked the game again and will continue to do so as they please.

https://t.co/l2lJdzZbG1