Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kiwis considering a travel " bubble between nz,aus,and Singapore before year is out , @Lov_Dog kennel bbq Singapore? Lol

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kiwis considering a travel " bubble between nz,aus,and Singapore before year is out , @Lov_Dog kennel bbq Singapore? Lol
Yes please @south of heaven !! Let's get that idea growing some legs! Planning to return home for Christmas since the Easter visit was abandoned.

Though for those interested, Singapore is experiencing a seriously big upswing in case numbers (https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...cross-4000-with-728-cases-in-new-daily-record), due to clusters forming in foreign worker dorms. Very upsetting after all the early mitigation steps.
But we will get a handle on it and stem the new infections.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The problem with America is that the whole country is divided along partisan lines and every issue immediately becomes political even when it has nothing to do with politics.

Look at this coronavirus issue as an example. On the face of it, the issue and trying to tackle it should have nothing to do with politics. It should be an issue that results in the nation coming together to fight a common enemy.

But the environment in america is hyper partisan, and different stakeholders find ways to push their own agendas. Both sides of politics are guilty of it (both republican and democrat), and it happens outside of politicians as well (most notably the media).

I think the main issue in the U.S. is partisanship in the media. Politicians will always be politicians - that will never change. But the media should be acting as independent (in the main) investigators of truth. However, the opposite is true in America. Most of the mainstream media have picked their side and they stick to it religiously.

The only U.S. media person I've found who is mostly interested in 'truth' and just reporting uncomfortable truth is Tucker Carlson. Yes he's on Fox, but he was previously with CNN (or was it MSNBC?) and I find that he is the most likely journalist to report on facts that don't favour his own media companies interests.
Yes the media is clearly divided along partisan lines, but I think trying to claim Trump has not mishandled this crisis from day one is an exercise of partisanship in itself. The media didn't make Trump downplay the threat of the virus, equating it to the flu. The media didn't make Trump tout drugs which were already on the shelves to treat/ prevent the virus despite absolutely no credible evidence suggesting those drugs were effective in treating/ preventing infection - resulting in shortages of those products for people with illnesses they HAVE been proven to effectively treat. The media didn't force Trump to continue to shake hands during diplomatic tours despite clear advice from health bodies and experts that he shouldn't be doing it. The media didn't make Trump talk about reopening America by Easter just as things were really starting to really deteriorate in his country, nor is the media making him plan to prematurely reopen large parts of his country. The media didn't make Trump equate COVID-19 to the latest "hoax" in January, only to backflip on those claims and maintain he knew the issue was serious well before a pandemic was declared. The media didn't fuel Trump's ignorance about COVID-19 or make him believe a standard flu vaccine could be an effective treatment and not just a means of reducing the disease it was designed to protect against to reduce strain on the healthcare system. The media in the US is problematic, but I don't understand why it is being used to divert from serious and warranted criticism of the was the guy has conducted affairs during a national and global crisis. It has been one big clusterfuck.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And there's already talk about opening the borders between us if all is good
I don’t want that too happen, not for another few months to keep it safe. Not worth the risk and it’s not needed.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The problem with America is that the whole country is divided along partisan lines and every issue immediately becomes political even when it has nothing to do with politics.

Look at this coronavirus issue as an example. On the face of it, the issue and trying to tackle it should have nothing to do with politics. It should be an issue that results in the nation coming together to fight a common enemy.

But the environment in america is hyper partisan, and different stakeholders find ways to push their own agendas. Both sides of politics are guilty of it (both republican and democrat), and it happens outside of politicians as well (most notably the media).

I think the main issue in the U.S. is partisanship in the media. Politicians will always be politicians - that will never change. But the media should be acting as independent (in the main) investigators of truth. However, the opposite is true in America. Most of the mainstream media have picked their side and they stick to it religiously.

The only U.S. media person I've found who is mostly interested in 'truth' and just reporting uncomfortable truth is Tucker Carlson. Yes he's on Fox, but he was previously with CNN (or was it MSNBC?) and I find that he is the most likely journalist to report on facts that don't favour his own media companies interests.
Tucker Carlson?...not too sure on his credibility.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t want that too happen, not for another few months to keep it safe. Not worth the risk and it’s not needed.
It won't be for a few months ,emerites has a testing system in place in 10 minutes .they will have their shit sorted by then

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It won't be for a few months ,emerites has a testing system in place in 10 minutes .they will have their shit sorted by then
As long as it’s done by xmas so families can be together over that time then that’s good,no earlier

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am sick of seeing the try hards on TV getting their 5 secs of fame.

Some of the shit they are doing, dressing up in a costume etc to take the bins out. (I don't care)

Doing some fake trick shot & the ball, coin etc does something amazing. (I still don't care)

One thing I have to say is, my lack of care is astounding.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Post the link you think makes it back peddaling i haven't seen it
Lol he's always been somewhat measured and diplomatic. He has to be. He works for the buffoon who is making a total cock up of the situation. In the past he was asked whether he and other experts made recommendations to introduce social distancing measures in early Feb and he sure as shit didn't deny it. He then said there were a number of factors in making such decisions and there was a lot of push back at the time. It's the words push back the media seized on and I think that is understandable. I think he's really regretting that choice of words now. Those words are quite illustrative from a doctor who works for a man who claims to have total authority. It sounds a bit like Trump was more concerned with keeping political colleagues and business leaders happy than he was about heeding medical advice. It's not like the US was the first country hit or the experts advising Trump didn't have a template they could use to predict what might happen. Trump was clearly angered by Fauci's choice of words, or he wouldn't have retweeted a call to fire him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I am sick of seeing the try hards on TV getting their 5 secs of fame.

Some of the shit they are doing, dressing up in a costume etc to take the bins out. (I don't care)

Doing some fake trick shot & the ball, coin etc does something amazing. (I still don't care)

On thing I have to say is, my lack of care is astounding.
I take my bins out naked. It's my form of insurance against anyone who wants to disregard social distancing laws.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

I agree with everything you said except the Tucker Carlson part. Carlson founded The Dialy Caller which has been heavily criticised for fake news. He's also pretty heavily biased. He publicly stated that he refused to vote for George W. Bush (even though he's a strong Republican supporter) because George W. Bush is too left wing.

But that's like anyone. Truth lies in what you want to be true, not what is actually true. Everyone does it.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said except the Tucker Carlson part. Carlson founded The Dialy Caller which has been heavily criticised for fake news. He's also pretty heavily biased. He publicly stated that he refused to vote for George W. Bush (even though he's a strong Republican supporter) because George W. Bush is too left wing.

But that's like anyone. Truth lies in what you want to be true, not what is actually true. Everyone does it.
Your right. Every person has an agenda or bias one way or another. I’m personally a swinging voter. But that makes me bias towards myself, as I vote what is more beneficial to myself and family

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right. Every person has an agenda or bias one way or another. I’m personally a swinging voter. But that makes me bias towards myself, as I vote what is more beneficial to myself and family
I'd rather vote on policy as well but who the fuck knows what that shit is anymore.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

If we go back through anything that anyone has ever said, we will easily be presented with a series of sentences that are probably plainly incorrect, not factual, biased, comical .... the list goes on.

My assessment of Tucker is simply based on watching his 1 hour show each day and asking myself whether I hear him point out inadequacies from both sides of politics (which he does). He regularly calls out the failings of politicians on both sides and he also openly declares what is own political leanings are (which instantly makes him transparent).

As opposed to CNN or MSNBC who generally present themselves as independent and unbiased news organisations, when they are generally (or entirely) opinion based and the opinion is 100% of the time on the progressive side of the debate.

Fox has some presenters who are the same (Laura Ingraham, Hannity), however I would argue that they are more transparent because although they are biased, they also openly tell their viewers that they are conservative people, so of course they are going to present conservative style shows.

What I think America lacks is some old fashioned 'news men' (or women). People who genuinely just give you the news and refuse to give an opinion. One person who I know if who gets closest to this style (i.e. he tells the news but rarely gives his own personal opinion is Brett Baier). I don't know if anyone knows of any others (if they do, please tell me because I'd like to add to my list of people I will watch).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Shes clearly a dumb dumb
This guy said "Dingell expressed her contempt for the people of Michigan" because she pointed out how irresponsible those protesters were to disrupt ambulances and not observe social distancing and put themselves and health workers in jeopardy.

Safe to say the majority of the sensible public agree with Dingell.

Status
Not open for further replies.