Did anyone else watch Braith Anasta talking about the Bulldogs?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'm in 2 minds about anasta. Don't mind him but we let JT go to keep him, then he went a year later anyway

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Topic from 2005:

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/sherwin-rumours-utter-crap-folkes-merged.4348/

Sherwin wants to sort Dogs future
By Brad Walter
July 5, 2005

Out of form Bulldogs halfback Brent Sherwin has sought reassurances about his future after receiving approaches from rival clubs.

The premiers last week admitted they were unable to retain NSW Origin five-eighth Braith Anasta after re-signing Test forward Willie Mason, and speculation has intensified that Sherwin may be released to free up room under the salary cap.

At least one NRL club is known to have made an enquiry about his availability next season and he has also been linked to a move to English Super League.

Sherwin's agent Mark Rowan insisted yesterday the former City Origin playmaker had no intention of leaving the club, but

admitted he had spoken to Bulldogs management about the rumours. Rowan said he was assured Sherwin remained an integral part of the Bulldogs plans, despite being dropped to the interchange bench for the match against Manly two weeks ago.

"I've obviously heard the rumours and I've asked the club about them as recently as Sunday," Rowan said. "They said that they're happy with Brent. They're obviously not happy with his form at the moment but you don't need to be Einstein to work that out.

"I know he probably didn't play that well on Saturday night against Melbourne but he trained well last week and I think he's just down a bit in confidence at the moment. I think he's still getting over his back problems and to be fair the whole team isn't going that well."

Yet so strong have been the rumours of Sherwin's departure from the Bulldogs within league circles that an official from a rival club phoned Rowan to find out whether they could make him an offer.

A Bulldogs director received three phone calls yesterday enquiring whether the club was going to release Sherwin. "That was the first I'd heard of it but the rumour has obviously been pretty strong," Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad said.

"But it's not something that has ever been discussed in here so as far as the club is concerned it is not an issue."

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are continuing negotiations with back-rower Tony Grimaldi and hooker Adam Brideson, while centre Jamal Lolesi is expected to play in England next year before returning to the new Gold Coast club in 2007.

Anasta said he hoped to decide between offers from South Sydney and Sydney Roosters after tomorrow night's deciding Origin match in Brisbane.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Topic from 2005:

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/sherwin-rumours-utter-crap-folkes-merged.4348/

Sherwin wants to sort Dogs future
By Brad Walter
July 5, 2005

Out of form Bulldogs halfback Brent Sherwin has sought reassurances about his future after receiving approaches from rival clubs.

The premiers last week admitted they were unable to retain NSW Origin five-eighth Braith Anasta after re-signing Test forward Willie Mason, and speculation has intensified that Sherwin may be released to free up room under the salary cap.

At least one NRL club is known to have made an enquiry about his availability next season and he has also been linked to a move to English Super League.

Sherwin's agent Mark Rowan insisted yesterday the former City Origin playmaker had no intention of leaving the club, but

admitted he had spoken to Bulldogs management about the rumours. Rowan said he was assured Sherwin remained an integral part of the Bulldogs plans, despite being dropped to the interchange bench for the match against Manly two weeks ago.

"I've obviously heard the rumours and I've asked the club about them as recently as Sunday," Rowan said. "They said that they're happy with Brent. They're obviously not happy with his form at the moment but you don't need to be Einstein to work that out.

"I know he probably didn't play that well on Saturday night against Melbourne but he trained well last week and I think he's just down a bit in confidence at the moment. I think he's still getting over his back problems and to be fair the whole team isn't going that well."

Yet so strong have been the rumours of Sherwin's departure from the Bulldogs within league circles that an official from a rival club phoned Rowan to find out whether they could make him an offer.

A Bulldogs director received three phone calls yesterday enquiring whether the club was going to release Sherwin. "That was the first I'd heard of it but the rumour has obviously been pretty strong," Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad said.

"But it's not something that has ever been discussed in here so as far as the club is concerned it is not an issue."

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are continuing negotiations with back-rower Tony Grimaldi and hooker Adam Brideson, while centre Jamal Lolesi is expected to play in England next year before returning to the new Gold Coast club in 2007.

Anasta said he hoped to decide between offers from South Sydney and Sydney Roosters after tomorrow night's deciding Origin match in Brisbane.
Jeez Adam Brideson brings backs some memories I used to call him the curse because we hardly won whenever he played.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2005 was a shocker of a year. Mason injured himself for the Kangaroos real bad, we saw some hope in Rd1 where we creamed the Dragons and then it just got worse and worse as the year went on. I've never seen a team in the NRL have so many players out injured.

Sherwin copped a lot of unfair blame that year. If you look back that season the moment his season ended was the moment we started getting creamed in games towards the end there. No halfback in existence could've saved us in 2005.

Back to Anasta, I went to our last home game against the Panthers that year and the shit he was copping from Doggies fans in the crowd was immense. Swearing and booing whenever his hands touched the ball all game. Ironically he scored our only try that game haha

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jeez Adam Brideson brings backs some memories I used to call him the curse because we hardly won whenever he played.
We had a 31.82% winning rate when he played. Considering he played between 2002-2007 which we consider our modern golden years, that's abysmal.

Another fun fact, he turns 40 tomorrow! haha

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say when roosters turfed him to the tigers he realised who had his best interests at heart all along.
Does anyone agree with me on this that the roosters are sorta like palpatine ? And they lure in a player like anakin and use him then when they got what they wanted they discard him.. it’s like no loyalty and only business .. I know they get results but we have won more battles when it comes to war

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah but no one expected him to turn it up at the Cowboys straight away like he did. FMD he killed it.
I honestly did, i watched him in reserve grade for many years, back then when reserves played before first grade. I used to go early and he was miles ahead of anyone. He was a freak.
At dogs he was stuck behind Sherwin and Anasta and one of Folkes worst traits was loyalty, hence why he left.
Obviously didnt know he would become a future possible immortal but kids skills was always there.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anasta saying Shifty has the best kicking game out of anyone’s he played with

As an aside sounds like Shifty missus at the time (assuming they not together now) was a slut

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt he cope it hard too from roosters boys with his ex candice falzon and brett finch?
I remember reading his uncle piggins was not impressed he signed with roosters instead of south. Saying how could he signed with roosters when they got a set play named after his ex.
Is that Because the whole team gets role lol

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anasta saying Shifty has the best kicking game out of anyone’s he played with

As an aside sounds like Shifty missus at the time (assuming they not together now) was a slut
Na there not together I remember seeing shifty around narrellan after it happened and a bit at the local pools he wasn’t happy and sherwin was staying with ben Roberts temporarily and yeah said shifty had shit going on privately. it was the beginning of his downfall in form sadly

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No we signed him over Jonathon Thurston,as said by Graham Hughes today on 2sm today

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We should've re-signed JT and Steven Price and let go of Willie Mason and Braith Anasta at the end of 2004. Anasta was our highest paid player at that time.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
So what is your version of the true story????
He's technically right. But it wasn't that we lowballed jt that made it a bad offer, it was we offered him a bench player contract which is obviously less game time, coz he was only a backup for Sherwin and anasta at the time. Cowboys were thin on troops then and offered him a fulltime starter role, which obviously pays better.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Na there not together I remember seeing shifty around narrellan after it happened and a bit at the local pools he wasn’t happy and sherwin was staying with ben Roberts temporarily and yeah said shifty had shit going on privately. it was the beginning of his downfall in form sadly
I drank with Shifty most Friday or Sat night at CTs, depending on when he played. He was staying at his aunts place, not Ben Roberts, although Roberts was always with him. Ben played juniors for the Narellen Jets. Wasn’t that talented as a junior played alright though.

Shifty is a great man.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We should've re-signed JT and Steven Price and let go of Willie Mason and Braith Anasta at the end of 2004. Anasta was our highest paid player at that time.
With hindsight yes. But who drops a premiership winning and origin half for a rookie with potential? Same goes for Willie. He was at the peak of his powers back then and would be hard to let go.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I honestly did, i watched him in reserve grade for many years, back then when reserves played before first grade. I used to go early and he was miles ahead of anyone. He was a freak.
At dogs he was stuck behind Sherwin and Anasta and one of Folkes worst traits was loyalty, hence why he left.
Obviously didnt know he would become a future possible immortal but kids skills was always there.
Thurston and sherwin were starting halves in 04 anasta at lock. Thurston got injured and couldn't get his starting spot back. Anasta was good but would buckle under pressure.
Hindsight we should've kept Thurston at all costs but we were strapped with talent back then.