Votes: 22 40.0%

Votes: 1 1.8%

Votes: 26 47.3%

• Total voters

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As the title says which is your best team that didn't win the comp? I'm going to mainly focus on teams post 1990 but feel free to add any team you want.

1993 (minor premiers) - Terry Lamb managed to lead a very youthful team to the minor premiership. A lot of the premiership winning Presidents Cup team of 91 were starting to establish themselves as first graders. Martin Bella and Mark Brokenshire were the hard heads up front with a youthful backrow of Jim Dymock, Smith brothers and Dean Pay made up a intimidating pack. Craig Polla Mounter played every game at was our leading try scorer. Unfortunately we went out in straight sets to the Dragons and Broncos. We were blown off the park against the Dragons and very unlucky to go down to the eventual premiers in Brisbane.

1994 (minor premiers) - Despite Terry Lamb missing 8 weeks with a broken arm the team still managed to be minor premiers. New buys Darren Britt, Daryl Halligan and Jason Hetherington strengthened the team and they only lost 4 games in the regular season. Dean Pay and the Smith brothers went to another level and made their rep debuts. They won their major semi against the Raiders in one of the best finals games of all time but ran into a buzz saw in the grand final. That Raiders team was phenomenal and it shows you how this Bulldogs team was to beat them twice that year.

1999 (5th place) - On the back of a grand final appearance in 98 and the addition of Ricky Stuart, Brad Clyde and Darren Smith big things were expected. A shock round 1 loss to Souths set the tone for a inconsistent start to the year including getting blown off the park against the Roosters at the SFS. They finished the season string winning 6 from 8 including a grinding win against minor primer Cronulla. The Dogs disposed of the Roosters in a brutal game in their first final before being knocked out by the Storm in week 2 of the finals by a very ill placed kick from Stuart.

2006 (2nd place) - After a injury interrupted 2005 the majority of the 2004 team was back together and fit and firing. Daniel Holdsworth replaced Braith Anasta as the only major change to the roster. With an all star pack this team could dominate anyone when they wanted to as demonstrated by a annihilation of the Dragons at Kogarah. They cruised to 2nd place and and beat Canberra convincingly in a rain soaked week 1 final. This set up a grand qualifier against Brisbane at the SFS and leading 20-6 at halftime a grand final was in sight however a second half collapse lead to one of the most painful losses in Bulldogs history.

2009 (2nd place) - A new coach and massive roster changes in 2009 should have lead the club to another minor premiership if it wasn't for a milkman at Kogarah. Kevin Moore rebuilt the Dogs and had instant success with veterans Brett Kimmorley and David Stagg being joined by Micheal Ennis, Josh Morris and Greg Eastwood. A great round 1 against reigning premiers Manly got the team off to a great start losing only 6 games. after finsihing in second spot the Dogs knocked off Newcastle in the first week of the finals to set up a blockbuster grand final qualifier against the Eels. Despite Brett Kimmorley being rushed back into the side back from injury it wasn't enough with Parra ending out season.

2012 (minor premiers) - Des Hasler led the Dogs to the minor premiership ridding on the back of a new style of play and magical season from Ben Barba. New recruit James Graham also left his mark with his aggression and ball playing. The Dogs rode a wave of free flowing football in the last half of the year only losing once after round 10. Josh Morris established himself as one of the games premier centres. The Dogs made it fairly comfortably into the GF but couldn't grind out a win against the Storm. Sisa Waqa played the game of his life and managed to shut down the block play for Barba which had proved so successful during the year.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Great post Spoon. My vote was ‘94 - we were a great side that season and really should’ve won it, we just cocked up the GF so badly. The male model Martin Bella knocked on from the kick-off, the Raiders smelled blood and we simply never recovered. Luckily we made up for it the following year.

I reckon we could’ve also won in 2012. A couple of key moments swung the momentum - when Bupa ‘allegedly’ got the munchies on Slater’s ear and J-Moz having an open run to the line but didn’t see the defender (again Slater if memory serves me) coming behind him who forced a mistake - and we just couldn’t match it with the Storm in the last 20 especially.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As the title says which is your best team that didn't win the comp? I'm going to mainly focus on teams post 1990 but feel free to add any team you want.

1993 (minor premiers) - Terry Lamb managed to lead a very youthful team to the minor premiership. A lot of the premiership winning Presidents Cup team of 91 were starting to establish themselves as first graders. Martin Bella and Mark Brokenshire were the hard heads up front with a youthful backrow of Jim Dymock, Smith brothers and Dean Pay made up a intimidating pack. Craig Polla Mounter played every game at was our leading try scorer. Unfortunately we went out in straight sets to the Dragons and Broncos. We were blown off the park against the Dragons and very unlucky to go down to the eventual premiers in Brisbane.

1994 (minor premiers) - Despite Terry Lamb missing 8 weeks with a broken arm the team still managed to be minor premiers. New buys Darren Britt, Daryl Halligan and Jason Hetherington strengthened the team and they only lost 4 games in the regular season. Dean Pay and the Smith brothers went to another level and made their rep debuts. They won their major semi against the Raiders in one of the best finals games of all time but ran into a buzz saw in the grand final. That Raiders team was phenomenal and it shows you how this Bulldogs team was to beat them twice that year.

1999 (5th place) - On the back of a grand final appearance in 98 and the addition of Ricky Stuart, Brad Clyde and Darren Smith big things were expected. A shock round 1 loss to Souths set the tone for a inconsistent start to the year including getting blown off the park against the Roosters at the SFS. They finished the season string winning 6 from 8 including a grinding win against minor primer Cronulla. The Dogs disposed of the Roosters in a brutal game in their first final before being knocked out by the Storm in week 2 of the finals by a very ill placed kick from Stuart.

2006 (2nd place) - After a injury interrupted 2005 the majority of the 2004 team was back together and fit and firing. Daniel Holdsworth replaced Braith Anasta as the only major change to the roster. With an all star pack this team could dominate anyone when they wanted to as demonstrated by a annihilation of the Dragons at Kogarah. They cruised to 2nd place and and beat Canberra convincingly in a rain soaked week 1 final. This set up a grand qualifier against Brisbane at the SFS and leading 20-6 at halftime a grand final was in sight however a second half collapse lead to one of the most painful losses in Bulldogs history.

2009 (2nd place) - A new coach and massive roster changes in 2009 should have lead the club to another minor premiership if it wasn't for a milkman at Kogarah. Kevin Moore rebuilt the Dogs and had instant success with veterans Brett Kimmorley and David Stagg being joined by Micheal Ennis, Josh Morris and Greg Eastwood. A great round 1 against reigning premiers Manly got the team off to a great start losing only 6 games. after finsihing in second spot the Dogs knocked off Newcastle in the first week of the finals to set up a blockbuster grand final qualifier against the Eels. Despite Brett Kimmorley being rushed back into the side back from injury it wasn't enough with Parra ending out season.

2012 (minor premiers) - Des Hasler led the Dogs to the minor premiership ridding on the back of a new style of play and magical season from Ben Barba. New recruit James Graham also left his mark with his aggression and ball playing. The Dogs rode a wave of free flowing football in the last half of the year only losing once after round 10. Josh Morris established himself as one of the games premier centres. The Dogs made it fairly comfortably into the GF but couldn't grind out a win against the Storm. Sisa Waqa played the game of his life and managed to shut down the block play for Barba which had proved so successful during the year.
All worthy though 2002 and 2013 deserve a mention....

2002 - CoVid year.

2012 - Better team than 2012 that just broke down...

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
06 and 12 broke my heart the most. after loosing in 2012 I went into my brothers room and he had bunk beds, I punched the bottom bunk mattress and my arm bounced off and me elbow hit the top bunk base. Fuck me that hurt so much and I was even more angry lmfao. Fuck my elbow had some serious swelling, it was purple to the dog so every time I looked at it, it reminded me of the loss and the Storm colours :sob::tearsofjoy:

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post Spoon. My vote was ‘94 - we were a great side that season and really should’ve won it, we just cocked up the GF so badly. The male model Martin Bella knocked on from the kick-off, the Raiders smelled blood and we simply never recovered. Luckily we made up for it the following year.

I reckon we could’ve also won in 2012. A couple of key moments swung the momentum - when Bupa ‘allegedly’ got the munchies on Slater’s ear and J-Moz having an open run to the line but didn’t see the defender (again Slater if memory serves me) coming behind him who forced a mistake - and we just couldn’t match it with the Storm in the last 20 especially.
2012 because it was a long time since we had won it

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
06 takes the cake. I’m still hurting lol

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2006 was heartbreaking. Most feared team in the comp that year and I’ll never forget MG saying that if he was playing he’d be “scared shitless of this team”. If we win that semi, we win the comp for sure

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1967 deserves a small mention. Came a very good 3rd in Regular Season then went on to end St George's 11 Year Premiership streak before losing in the Grand Final narrowly.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2012. Just check highlights from that year and it would be dominated by our tries. A season full of OMG moments.
2002 team should be included in the list.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Second that on the post. Nice having some good content on here to talk about.

I'd go with '94. Fucking Bella. Damn it. Not all on him but the Raiders steamrolled us. We had a fucking great side though.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Whilst that second half capitulation in 06 sucked ass, Broncos had beaten us twice in the regular season (R12. 25-6 and R24. 30-0) especially considering that last result we should have been better mentally prepared, so id say by the end of that season we were drained, mentally weak flat track bullies.

So because of that reason id have to say 2012 as we were the side that could score from anywhere and most people had us tipped as premiers before the finals even began...

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
06 easily, why? Because of what happened in 05! The amount of injuries that year was unbelievable. We had the team to three-peat. We could have won 4 or 5 in a row from 03 to 07.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It wasn't the most consistent of seasons, but the 98 team falling flat in the second half was very hard to see after having fought to win in extended time for the run to the gf.

02 was also a sad way to cap a brilliant season. I worked with a massive Broncos fan (in terms of him being a foot taller than me and maybe 40kg heavier as well as being a die hard fan) at the time who was shit stirring for 15 minutes after they announced that our points were getting stripped. I kept my mouth shut for that long while my anger was building then got an inch from his face and said very softly "say one more fucking word about it". **** went white and didn't get within a few metres of me for the rest of the day. He told me a couple of weeks later that he'd almost shit himself at the look on my face and the fact that I'd almost growled those words. It was pretty devastating to see one of the best teams we'd ever assembled denied the chance to play in the finals.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
2006 season breakdown and the prelim line ups.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NRL_season_results
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2006/prelim-final/bulldogs-vs-brisbane/summary.html

We had 24+ points scored against us in our first 5 losses, the next 2 losses that followed were from memory an origin affected 28-26 loss to Canberra and then a heartbreaking 16-12 loss to Melbourne in the last 3 seconds on the match which was the only time we played them.
Following that we lost to the Broncos 30-0, Manly 21-20 who had previously beat us 40-14 in round 7. So yeah the big pattern for the 06 season when we lost, we generally had the points piled on us even when the losing margin was small.
Considering that Broncos beat Knights 50-6 the week before they met us in the prelim we should have been ready for that second half onslaught. Its unfortunate to bow out the way we did, but looking back on it objectively our defence was very bad at times, whereas Broncos had the best defence with only 392 against averaging out at 16 points per game. Having Ben Roberts and Andrew Emileo at centre didn't really help our cause defensively either i guess... and going into the GF if we made it they would have had to mark up against Inglis / King and i think they wouldn't have been able to contain them... sucks how it ended but thats life.

Last edited:

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
93 and 94 it was such a great side. Depends when ur born i reckon. Your memory always favours the era you grew up in. The 80's and 90's we were so dominant. Deserved a few premierships in the 90's.

2012 was unlucky. Had morris been awarded that try it would of changed the game,and possibly the result we dominated the whole season

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
93 and 94 it was such a great side. Depends when ur born i reckon. Your memory always favours the era you grew up in. The 80's and 90's we were so dominant. Deserved a few premierships in the 90's.

2012 was unlucky. Had morris been awarded that try it would of changed the game,and possibly the result we dominated the whole season
2012 was unlucky.
* Perrett takes the intercept in the first 2 minutes of the game maybe we score first.
* Wright knocks the ball forward and Reynolds races away to score what he thinks is a try... If he takes a tackle we score a few tackles later.
* Morris getting the unlucky bounce off Barbas left edge raid and ultimately imo being interfered / pushed in the back by Slater.

Just wasn't our day and Slater has gone over it before but they identified the constant disconnect between Reynolds and Inu when defending on the line and they punished us for it.

Quite unfortunate that Lafai copped a season ending shoulder injury as I would have preferred him play centre and push Inu to the wing and we would have had a genuine threat in the air.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
2002 - we would have won for sure, but had all our points deducted, heartbreakingly, on the eve of the finals. We played brilliantly all year, and had the minor premiership sewn up. Remember that goal from the sideline, right on full time, by Haz against the Knights?

Other teams have since had points deducted, but none have had them taken away when the finals were about to be played. The hurt that caused was the cruellest of blows by the NRL.

Salt was rubbed into our wounds when the Storm lost points before their season started - and the media were out in full sympathy for the club and its fans - yet they were braying for us to be stripped of all points in 2002, and celebrating when it happened.

1967 - that intercept by McCarthy was another devastating blow; and it came when we had the Bunnies on the ropes.But, nothing can beat the heartache of losing all our points on the eve of the finals.