We need a whole new team and coach

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
problem is for the past 6 years the club has been happy to plug along with mediocre and below par players, the biggest investment is foran and hes barely made the field, over all thies comes down to management, we need people in charge who know what it takes to run a successful business abd use that model to make the club and team a successful one again,
no more hiring people because of the so called bulldogs dna, thats bullshit, its all about hiring the best for that position, be it the ceo or half back or any spots, get the right people in the right spots
I don't get the whole Bulldogs DNA thing either you can have a outsider come in and do a great job. You really pigeon hole yourself into only a handful of options by doing this too.

As long as an outsider respects the past and embraces the clubs culture there is no problem. Des didn't do that but it's stupid thinking everyone will do that.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yep I agree. Give him a chance with a full salary cap and without our salary tied up with blokes like Foran.
If he fails we need to find a better coach who is available
I think it would be fair to give him 1 year with better players HOWEVER go spending that coin on extending Lewis, C.Smith, Katoa and unfit Stimson I tend to lose faith in him. Interesting times ahead and like most have said there aren't many options if we do end up having to go the other way

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't get the whole Bulldogs DNA thing either you can have a outsider come in and do a great job. You really pigeon hole yourself into only a handful of options by doing this too.

As long as an outsider respects the past and embraces the clubs culture there is no problem. Des didn't do that but it's stupid thinking everyone will do that.
I don’t think that’s the case mate.
The club would be stupid to narrow their choices, even with the experience of Des (but they must apply that experience that for a future coach everything matters, not just the NRL squad). I don’t think Pay got the job only because he was an ex-Bulldog. We know Madge knocked us back after a look at the books at the time and who knows who else.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s the case mate.
The club would be stupid to narrow their choices, even with the experience of Des (but they must apply that experience that for a future coach everything matters, not just the NRL squad). I don’t think Pay got the job only because he was an ex-Bulldog. We know Madge knocked us back after a look at the books at the time and who knows who else.
Look at all the appointments that the club has made under this board and there’s not many that haven’t had a previous connection at the club. Pay was appointed by Dib though so it’s kind of irrelevant now.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Look at all the appointments that the club has made under this board and there’s not many that haven’t had a previous connection at the club. Pay was appointed by Dib though so it’s kind of irrelevant now.
They were guaranteed re-election this time around. Maybe not in 2022 if the results don’t come. They can’t be ignorant to that fact.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They were guaranteed re-election this time around. Maybe not in 2022 if the results don’t come. They can’t be ignorant to that fact.
Getting re-elected isn’t really the point. Pay loves his ex Mounties staff while the board likes Bulldogs DNA. Getting some diversity through the place would be nice.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Getting re-elected isn’t really the point. Pay loves his ex Mounties staff while the board likes Bulldogs DNA. Getting some diversity through the place would be nice.
That happens in every workplace though. New people in charge always bring in ‘their people’. Not saying it’s right but it happens.

My point was - these jobs are somewhat in the public eye - it’s not like they’re Directors of the local RSL and nobody knows who they are. They need success and they need to keep all avenues open to achieve that success. If they don’t they are both foolish and will likely lose their jobs. I don’t think they’re foolish...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That happens in every workplace though. New people in charge always bring in ‘their people’. Not saying it’s right but it happens.

My point was - these jobs are somewhat in the public eye - it’s not like they’re Directors of the local RSL and nobody knows who they are. They need success and they need to keep all avenues open to achieve that success. If they don’t they are both foolish and will likely lose their jobs. I don’t think they’re foolish...
I don’t think they are foolish either but time will tell.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why, look at the score and crowd.

The crowd was so small if you were on the other side of the ground you probably could see yourself.

Like this guys clips

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When the game returns we need to remove all the staff who are involved with our attack and replace them.. whatever it takes

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to listen to commentary of our games by Dogs supporters.

Would be a great listen.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We just need to recruit well an get back to the doggs of old, being a force, being feared and not taken as a joke.!! Full revamp..!!

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just need to recruit well an get back to the doggs of old, being a force, being feared and not taken as a joke.!! Full revamp..!!
And even with millions to spend you think we will recruit well with a dud coach in pay?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wrote before that you cant win a Melbourne Cup with a camel. That's what Dean Pay is stuck with, a team of camels.
Until such times the roster is bought up to scratch, very little will happen.
We have the nucleus of a good side, but just need a few quality additions to make it really good.
Some of the young guys will improve when play resumes. I have high hopes for Averillo, Tass, to go to the next level.

#PAYSTAYS.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
And even with millions to spend you think we will recruit well with a dud coach in pay?
Knights did with Brown.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
All I want is Canterbury to recruit talent ,they have money it's time to spend it wisely

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
All I want is Canterbury to recruit talent ,they have money it's time to spend it wisely
It depends what you mean by wisely. We can't recruit like a top club. If you just mean recruiting in X position then we can do that if it's available.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You could have all the money in the world and still be 2nd to Brisbane and Roosters. It's not always about the money you have.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You could have all the money in the world and still be 2nd to Brisbane and Roosters. It's not always about the money you have.
This is correct.
But we do/did have things going for us.
Facilities, history etc.

I thought we were going well when we were talking about the family club and saying things like 'we ride together, we die together' and 'death before dishonour' and 'loyalty is everything' but we undid all of this when we hung CHN on a meat hook to please the Rashay guy, who isn't sponsoring us anyway.

So we have lost the only advantage we have. I bet Thommo is filthy.
Also hearing some of our newer recruits feel they have been lied too and sold a dump, but can't verify that at all.