News Footy is back on May 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
what I meant was is that it's silly to say essential services only, yet you can go and buy alcohol and place bets, non-essential activities... I've no issue with actual essential services remaining in operation, of course
Tbh mate. I agree with @TwinTurbo pretty much all the time as he's always spot on with things. Now tho ... For me it's clear what you were talking about and find it weird it's gone this way. Anyway, misunderstandings happen

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My point was I don't think any of us are qualified to determine what is and what isn't an essential service, ie; we don't know more than the informed experts. Whereas I'm OK if, say, a psychiatrist recommends for one his patients that watching horses racing is therapeutic, keeps him sane, or maybe just reduces his dependancy on anti psychotic drugs. In doing so, if he wages an amount that he can afford to lose, then i have no issue with that either. What is essential to him may not be essential to us. In my case I find a glass of wine over dinner helps me sleep at night, medically proven to be better for my health than taking drugs in order to get to sleep. What is essential to me may not be essential to you.

Go Dogs
Get that mate. Really do. Think his point is valid tho as from outside rating the supply of alcohol as essential is a little strange. Fucking alcoholic Australians

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
My point was I don't think any of us are qualified to determine what is and what isn't an essential service, ie; we don't know more than the informed experts. Whereas I'm OK if, say, a psychiatrist recommends for one his patients that watching horses racing is therapeutic, keeps him sane, or maybe just reduces his dependancy on anti psychotic drugs. In doing so, if he wages an amount that he can afford to lose, then i have no issue with that either. What is essential to him may not be essential to us. In my case I find a glass of wine over dinner helps me sleep at night, medically proven to be better for my health than taking drugs in order to get to sleep. What is essential to me may not be essential to you.

Go Dogs

ok so we bring back everything that is therapeutic.... that could be just about anything lol.. not to mention actually working keeps a lot of people sane

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s Australia mate. 100% deny the natives being forced to stay at home booze and you’d have riots. Social distancing can be maintained for the battle cruiser but not necessarily the nuclear sub. It’s no different to other retail that’s still open so I wouldn’t read too much into the ‘essential’ bit here.
Get that but it's still fair game to question why it's rated as an essential item. You could also argue that consumption of alcohol when in confined spaces for an exponential amount of time will lead to an increase in domestic abuse, as seen in Europe (not saying that the rise in domestic abuse in Europe has been directly attributed to alcohol btw) ;)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Get that but it's still fair game to question why it's rated as an essential item. You could also argue that consumption of alcohol when in confined spaces for an exponential amount of time will lead to an increase in domestic abuse, as seen in Europe (not saying that the rise in domestic abuse in Europe has been directly attributed to alcohol btw) ;)
You could slice 100 different things 100 different ways. Take away booze is retail and therefore ‘filed’ under essential whether it literally is or not. If you shut down drive through booze do you also shut down drive through McDonalds, which could hardly be considered ‘essential’? The point is whilst the spread has to be stopped the economy also has to function and job losses etc need to be minimised. I get it, non-drinkers don’t see it as essential, but the bottom line is it’s no different to many other businesses still operating. As for DV, it’s a problem regardless. I’d argue that despite any spikes being seen short term the vast majority of those who enjoy a drink are not perps of DV or any other misdemeanour.

A

Alexander the Great

Wow we agree on something. Alcohol is not a essential item just like horse racing.

Anyone that argues that alcohol is a essential is a addict.

A

Alexander the Great

Alcohol as a product is not essential. The less people interacting the better and i enjoy my beers but I would be willing to give it up if it meant we can slow/stop this thing down.

So you think a doctor isn’t an essential service? How about a policeman? A nurse? A bus driver, or a train driver, to get the doctors and nurses to work? How about the catering staff that feed the patients, nurses and doctors, not essential? How about the technicians who service the doors and lifts in the hospital, they don’t work you can’t get in to have your life saved by the doctors inside? What about the shelf packers at your local supermarket, no food you starve, do you consider them essential? The refrigeration technicians, don’t need them?

The fact is what is essential to me may not be essential to you. So what is determined as “essential“ is best left to the experts, who have all of the information necessary to make the call, that they are empowered to make. And there’s ~6 weeks for them to do exactly that.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wow we agree on something. Alcohol is not a essential item just like horse racing.

Anyone that argues that alcohol is a essential is a addict.
Nah. I've walked past bottlo's since the lockdown and not bought or even been tempted to buy anything.
But I support the people working there to be able to keep their jobs.
Yet you're arguing that because at times I like a drink I'm an 'addict' - pardon the pun MaxAbuBob but your argument is as weak as piss :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Alcohol as a product is not essential. The less people interacting the better and i enjoy my beers but I would be willing to give it up if it meant we can slow/stop this thing down.
You enjoy your beers, eh? Which of the below is your favourite?
EstonianBeers.jpg

BTW - really appreciate the account follow.
Maybe when this thing is over we can meet up at your favourite pub in 'Manly' and have a couple.
Oh that's right - you're a married female aren't you - maybe your husband doesn't like you following other men on forums?
Oh well, there goes the idea of a drink together. Shattering.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Corona could be a great competitor leveller.
Imagine if the Storm are on a 6/6 winning spree then Smith, Munster and Earl get corona virtually at once. Although knowing their luck it'll be the Titans who get floored with it.

some may say that comment has shades of troll in it, but is it?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Peter V'landy etc are dumb.

The QLD & NSW governments are saying, they haven't spoken to them & basically it's not happening.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

The QLD & NSW governments are saying, they haven't spoken to them & basically it's not happening.
But hasn't the NSW government indicates elsewhere that restrictions will start to ease in May?
Presumably they are running on ten back of those comments.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Corona could be a great competitor leveller.
Imagine if the Storm are on a 6/6 winning spree then Smith, Munster and Earl get corona virtually at once.

some may say that comment has shades of troll in it, but is it?
You do know, if they get it, the comp will stop. :tearsofjoy:

Not that the comp will restart.

IMO: Yes you are trolling.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You do know, if they get it, the comp will stop. :tearsofjoy:

Not that the comp will restart.

IMO: Yes you are trolling.
well if they start the company again, they would have to think mathematically a player is bound to get it. 17 players x 16= 300 players a week. So they would no doubt be saying they are willing to break some eggs to make this omelette happen. They will only stop it again if it spreads multiple teams and multiple players.

chances are itll spread to the team because players love to embrace each other.

this means these players will be off a minimum of three weeks.

so it's likely that if a team based in a hotspot like Melbourne get it, they will suffer badly, and they are a team you'd think could very well be 6/6.
Storm, broncos, easts, manly are more prone to getting the virus than the other teams mathematically.

A

Alexander the Great

Looks like you two love birds are getting along ...

well if they start the company again, they would have to think mathematically a player is bound to get it. 17 players x 16= 300 players a week. So they would no doubt be saying they are willing to break some eggs to make this omelette happen. They will only stop it again if it spreads multiple teams and multiple players.

so it's likely that if a team based in a hotspot like Melbourne get it, they will suffer badly, and they are a team you'd think could very well be 6/6.
Storm, broncos, easts, manly are more prone to getting the virus than the other teams mathematically.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s not how I read it, the NRL hasn’t asked YET, because until they know the process of playing games and the location/s of them they don’t know what to ask for. Hence the ~6 weeks to have that sorted.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Normally I don't bother responding to your posts, but I'll make an exception in this case. I don't think you understand the basics, firstly NRL players, coaches, support and other staff won't be associating with the genpop. They will basically compromise a "family unit", that has no one with the virus in it and does not come into contact with anyone else with the virus. They will ge isolated into their "family unit" 2 weeks before there season restarts and be fully tested multiple times a day, including bloods for the foreseeable future (ie; the duration of the season). They dwn't ride on buses, trains, trams or other other form of "public transport" including no commercial flights, only private charters, no clubbing, restaurants, bars etc. Hence their location is irrelevant because they won't be associating with anyone outside their "family unit".

Go Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.