News Footy is back on May 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: thinking Melanie is hot..... Think I need to marry her ....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This doing the rounds on FB.

Let me get this right
Hundreds of Entitled footballers get paid $500,000 to not play football this year
But thousands of nurses get paid less than $50k per year for risking their lives every day ?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is some serious karma. By taking the game away from the fan and the local park only to appease its broadcast paymasters, NRL head office made itself both slave and privy to the whims of an electronic overlord. THAT'S the reason it's back on the park. It can't afford not to be!
The broadcasters are the villians for sure;but the NRL has displayed no spine.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Ruby Princess was a boat load of people that had already had the virus spreading in a confined space that got released into the community before social distancing was in place. It’s the longest bow to draw in history to compare it to the NRL starting the comp again in seven weeks time.

The infection rate when they stopped the comp was over 20% and it’s just over 1% currently so if people continue to do the right thing imagine what it would be like in 7 weeks. They are taking the right precautions and if things turn bad I’m sure they won’t start back up.

Construction sites are in full swing and many other places of business are still running. The NRL are going to use very similar protocols as horse racing have been and they haven’t had any problems so far.
Too soon for a game that requires heavy physical contact, and not just between players but also trainers and medicos- some of whom may in the vulnerable age group.
They may also be unknowing carriers. When the number of cases is beginning to drop, it is unwise to immediately wind back restrictions. These things take time to defeat.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too soon for a game that requires heavy physical contact, and not just between players but also trainers and medicos- some of whom may in the vulnerable age group.
They may also be unknowing carriers. When the number of cases is beginning to drop, it is unwise to immediately wind back restrictions. These things take time to defeat.
The infection rate is already down to around 1% and has been trending down for sometime of course if that starts to rise again then it changes things but if it continues like it is then it should be under 1% in 7 weeks time. They didn’t get an infected player when the rate was much higher so that suggests to me that the precautions they took in rounds 1 and 2 worked. These same precautions have worked in horse racing too. Life has to start again at some point and the first people or businesses to do it will always be questioned but on the surface the facts and stats add up for the NRL to get going again if things continue as they are.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
lol.. essential services is the biggest load of shit
So you think a doctor isn’t an essential service? How about a policeman? A nurse? A bus driver, or a train driver, to get the doctors and nurses to work? How about the catering staff that feed the patients, nurses and doctors, not essential? How about the technicians who service the doors and lifts in the hospital, they don’t work you can’t get in to have your life saved by the doctors inside? What about the shelf packers at your local supermarket, no food you starve, do you consider them essential? The refrigeration technicians, don’t need them?

The fact is what is essential to me may not be essential to you. So what is determined as “essential“ is best left to the experts, who have all of the information necessary to make the call, that they are empowered to make. And there’s ~6 weeks for them to do exactly that.

Go Dogs

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you think a doctor isn’t an essential service? How about a policeman? A nurse? A bus driver, or a train driver, to get the doctors and nurses to work? How about the catering staff that feed the patients, nurses and doctors, not essential? How about the technicians who service the doors and lifts in the hospital, they don’t work you can’t get in to have your life saved by the doctors inside? What about the shelf packers at your local supermarket, no food you starve, do you consider them essential? The refrigeration technicians, don’t need them?

The fact is what is essential to me may not be essential to you. So what is determined as “essential“ is best left to the experts, who have all of the information necessary to make the call, that they are empowered to make. And there’s ~6 weeks for them to do exactly that.

Go Dogs

When did I ever say any of those things were not essential services?!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How else is one to read your post?

Go Dogs

what I meant was is that it's silly to say essential services only, yet you can go and buy alcohol and place bets, non-essential activities... I've no issue with actual essential services remaining in operation, of course

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
what I meant was is that it's silly to say essential services only, yet you can go and buy alcohol and place bets, non-essential activities... I've no issue with actual essential services remaining in operation, of course
You can't win with him Howie. I think Twin Turbo's essential service to The Kennel is to take everything out of context, to completely miss the point and to lack common sense.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
advertises should stand by channel nines pig sty and still pay they cant just switch camps to greta thunberg all the sudden

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that alcohol is not an essential item. Stating so is crazy imo
It’s Australia mate. 100% deny the natives being forced to stay at home booze and you’d have riots. Social distancing can be maintained for the battle cruiser but not necessarily the nuclear sub. It’s no different to other retail that’s still open so I wouldn’t read too much into the ‘essential’ bit here.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My point was I don't think any of us are qualified to determine what is and what isn't an essential service, ie; we don't know more than the informed experts. Whereas I'm OK if, say, a psychiatrist recommends for one his patients that watching horses racing is therapeutic, keeps him sane, or maybe just reduces his dependancy on anti psychotic drugs. In doing so, if he wages an amount that he can afford to lose, then i have no issue with that either. What is essential to him may not be essential to us. In my case I find a glass of wine over dinner helps me sleep at night, medically proven to be better for my health than taking drugs in order to get to sleep. What is essential to me may not be essential to you.

Go Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.