Will NRL survive under its current format?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're all starved of our NRL fix due to this Virus and most know that the game can't really afford to be suspended for to long. Great that they've taken action to hopefully save the game from going broke and folding but I worry that IF they don't resume in the next 1 to 2 months with or without crowds then some Clubs will fold. Not worried about the Dogs as we have the backing of the Leagues Club but there a few other Clubs that aren't as financially strong and could be in trouble without the help of the NRL and they aren't travelling to well themselves judging by recent reports.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The main issue i think is they pay the players too much. Trying to make the game seem more prestigious with all the million dollar players and even rookies making 5 figures. But the result is the NRL is living paycheck to paycheck, spending money as fast as it comes in, and not putting anything aside for a rainy day (or virus outbreak). They live like i do lol.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We're all starved of our NRL fix due to this Virus and most know that the game can't really afford to be suspended for to long. Great that they've taken action to hopefully save the game from going broke and folding but I worry that IF they don't resume in the next 1 to 2 months with or without crowds then some Clubs will fold. Not worried about the Dogs as we have the backing of the Leagues Club but there a few other Clubs that aren't as financially strong and could be in trouble without the help of the NRL and they aren't travelling to well themselves judging by recent reports.
To me it's just highlighted the fact that the NRL administration has grossly mismanaged the funds. Even before this there were a few clubs that faced financial issues that were operating with annual net losses. Moving forward I hope that the clubs force headquarters to trim the fat in executive roles and funnel a bit more money to clubs.

If the current administration is not willing to do this I think that clubs need to band together and threaten to withhold their services. I don't think it will play out this way. But for the good of the game it probably needs to.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily be putting our "leagues club backing" as any guarantee at the moment. We have no idea how many millions it will lose itself in the coming months.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily be putting our "leagues club backing" as any guarantee at the moment. We have no idea how many millions it will lose itself in the coming months.
Exactly. I am sure the club is well structured and run. And does own all of the property. And I’m sure the gains and losses they portray every year is more based on tax purposes then actual loss.

But no doubt they have taken a hit and doubt they will be opening up and start spending like a scomo cabinet. Dogs may survive. But if the football club don’t have their crap in order and can stand on their own feet they will struggle. And now without a major sponsor and other sponsorships that were lost since the previous board left.

The next few months will show if Lynn can lead us through tough times and can get funding for us to survive. Her dad did all those years ago. If she wants to live under his legacy then hopefully she can pull something out of the hat when it’s needed the most.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
nobody goes to the game and there is like 3-4 teams who are genuinely competitive each year... the amount of teams who are allowed to be mediocre year in year out, and the amount of players who get away with being lazy is astonishing.. big changes are needed urgently

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
nobody goes to the game and there is like 3-4 teams who are genuinely competitive each year... the amount of teams who are allowed to be mediocre year in year out, and the amount of players who get away with being lazy is astonishing.. big changes are needed urgently
Yup big changes certainly, but the comp must stay..!!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup big changes certainly, but the comp must stay..!!
Mate I think once we get rid of Greenberg and crew and get some people in who are focused on the footy the future will start to look clearer

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think once all is said and done, what will likely happen is the NRL will remain with 16 teams. They'll try to relocate a few teams in the next few years.

Greenberg will definitely be fired. They'll definitely change their financial model and the Bunker, Two refs etc will all probably be scrapped.

Hopefully out of all this, smarter people (and more importantly Rugby League people) are running the game and get the code back to it's roots as opposed to the watered down, reactionary PC rule interpretation bullshit we've seen for the past decade or more.