Position 1st Team 2nd Team 3rd Team
1 Les Johns Ben Barba Luke Patten
2 Hazem El Masri (gk) Daryl Halligan (gk) Greg Brentnall
3 Josh Morris Chris Mortimer Nigel Vagana
4 Johnny Greaves Willie Tonga Andrew Farrar
5 Chris Anderson Matt Utai Edgar Newham
6 Terry Lamb Craig Polla-Mounter Braith Anasta
7 Steve Mortimer Brent Sherwin Trent Hodkinson
8 Willie Mason Mark O'Meley Dean Pay (c)
9 George Peponis © Michael Ennis Jason Hetherington
10 Steve Price David Klemmer Eddie Burns
11 Sonny Bill Williams Greg Eastwood Frank Pritchard
12 Brian Davies Andrew Ryan Paul Langmack
13 James Graham Steve Folkes Peter Tunks

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No doubt a great player, but, I didn't see him play, I've seen highlights but not enough for him to be included as one of my favourites.
It's not meant to be an all time greats type of thing, just my favourite players somehow crammed into 17.
Fair enough

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, there’s a lot of names there from my youth, Johnny Greaves a policeman during the week and a world class centre on the weekend. Johnny Rhodes, playing outside of him, so fast and with a sidestep to make a Langlands cry (Belmore oval 1967). Merv Hicks, OMG I couldn’t understand a word he said with his thick Welsh accent. When he finished playing, if I remember rightly, he bought a pub up on the central coast. Greg Brentnall, that guy could kick a football a mile, ex Aussie rules, he kicked the ball so hard I could hear the thud from the sidelines at Belmore. I’ve never heard anyone kick the ball so hard, before or after.

Go Dogs
Had a soft spot for Peter cassillas as kid all time fav robbo crowd would just lift when he was on one of his charges my deepest respect is for Turvey he’s blue and white to the core

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I didn’t get the 80’s though from my time and adding a few I seen highlights off and loved.

Barba
Utai
Jmoz
Vagana
Hazem
Thurston
Lamb
Price
Hethrington
Klemmer
Sbw
Ryan
Jacko

Ennis
Mason
Smith
O‘meley
Graham
Asotasi
Reni
Pay
Britt
Pritchard

Make
The bench somehow lkl

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn’t get the 80’s though from my time and adding a few I seen highlights off and loved.

Barba
Utai
Jmoz
Vagana
Hazem
Thurston
Lamb
Price
Hethrington
Klemmer
Sbw
Ryan
Jacko

Ennis
Mason
Smith
O‘meley
Graham
Asotasi
Reni
Pay
Britt
Pritchard

Make
The bench somehow lkl
1980 through to 1988 was like being in bulldogs heaven ok we lost one in 86 but 4 wins pretty happy at that

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Billy Ngwini deserves a bench spot..

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barba
Halligan
Talau
Morris
Farrar
Lamb
Mortimer
Kelley
Polla mounter
Britt
Folkes
Gillespie
Langmack

SBW
Sherwin
Omeley
Smith

Its to fricken hard i could pick 4 teams as good as each other

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Ben Barba
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Willie Talau
5. Matt Utai
6. Terry Lamb
7. Steve Mortimer
8. Peter Tunks
9. Jason Hethrington
10. Mark O'Meley
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Paul Langmack

14. Willie Mason
15. Steve Folkes
16. Jason Smith
17. Ewan McGrady

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
My Fav doesn't mean best.
1-Silva
2-Dallas
3- McCracken
4-Timu
5- Utai
6-Lamb
7-Polla mounter
8-Omeally
9-Ennis
10-Gellespie
11-Mason
12- JSmith
13- Dymock
14- Davies
15- D Smith
16- Prichard
17- Pay

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1.Silva
2.B.Morris
3.C.Mortimer
4. Vagana
5..El masri
6. Lamb
7. Duncan Mcrae
8. Tunks
9.Hetherington
10. Price
11. Pritchard
12. Gillespie
13.J.Smith
14. Clyde
15. SBW
16.Mason
17. Barba

Doginator

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Duncan McRae, that will do me!
Sure you don’t want Montoya in there somewhere or maybe even Jarrod ‘custard guts’ Hickey

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine would be
1. Greg Brentnall. Good hands towering kick big fast breaks tackles.
2. Hazim el Mazri. Great goalkicker and finisher. Smart defender.
3. Chris Mortimer. Great defender strong runner with ball.
4. Andrew Farrar. Powerful runner. Strong defender.
5. Nigel Vagana. Great finisher. A centre but cant unseat Farrar or Mortimer.
6. Terry Lamb. Best support player in history of rugby league.
7. Steve Mortimer. Most dangerous attacking player ever.
8. Peter Kelly. Toughest meanest prop. The forward leader.
9. George Peponis. Great striker for the ball. Great pass off ground. Aust Captain speaks for itself.
10. Peter Tunks. Our best ever ball distributing prop. Tough.
11. Willie Mason. Damaging runner. Handful to contain.
12. Sonny Bill Williams. Most athletic player to ever play for us. Has all the skills then some.
13. Paul Langmack. Tireless, ballplayer, solid defender.
14. Ewan McGrady. Dally M winner, mercurial, spontaneous, gifted attacker.
15. Bradley Clyde. Australian backrower, cross between Cordner and Menzies.
16. Andrew Ryan. Mr consistent, reliable, solid defender, could run a good line.
17. Gary Hughes. Most underrated 5/8 in the game. Smartest football brain we've had for 50 years. Lack of pace cost him Australian rep honours.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Why leave our Rod Silva?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People here are forgetting about Kennel favourite Aaron Groom..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Ben Barba;
2. Hazem El Masri;
3. Nigel Vagana;
4. Josh Morris;
5. Curtis Rona;
6. Terry Lamb (c);
7. Brent Sherwin;
8. Steve Price;
9. Craig Polla-Mounter;
10. Mark O'Meley;
11. Willie Mason;
12. David Gillespie;
13. Jim Dymock;

14. Darren Smith; 15. James Graham; 16. Dean Pay; 17. Sonny Bill Williams (there was a line used by Barca fans for Figo after he signed for Real and would return to the Nou Camp for Clasicos --> "We hate you so because we loved you then")

Steve Mortimer was not considered because I was not old enough to appreciate his greatness when he was in his prime

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My choices reflect the fact that I was born in 1979, so my memories of players before I was 7 or 8 years old are probably a bit dim. And I plan to not follow the rules by naming a 17 man squad anyway. But with that said.

Fullbacks
Rod Silva- loved seeing him drift slowly across the field then shoot through a gap like he was fired from a cannon.
Luke Patten- Ultra reliable. Pretty good in attack and rarely made mistakes in defence.

Wingers
Hazem- Not the most gifted athletically, but I thought his ability to read the game was brilliant. Aside from that his goal kicking won us many close games.
Matt Utai- I can only compare him to a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Not really very tall, but all power. Very hard to stop especially when close to the line.
Brett Dallas- was pretty close to the fastest player in the game at the time. Not the most elusive, but if given a half gap he was going to be tough to stop.

Centres. (Quite a few favourites here)
Nigel Vagana- Quick and elusive.
Willie 'get outta my way' Talau- Not super quick, but he packed a punch in attack and was equally able to dominate in defence. I wouldn't want to run at him or try to stop him if he was running at me.
Willie Tonga- Speedster with plenty of skill. I liken him to Latrell Mitchell without the tendency to be lazy.
J-Moz- Had all the skills. Could read the game, had enough pace and a great step and could make the most out of half chances. Also a great defender.
Krishnan Inu- His first season with us was brilliant. He didn't back it up, but I loved seeing him have a great year with us.

5/8
Terry Lamb- it's been said already, but his support play was hard to match. Even late in his career when his knees were too wrecked to train, he was still producing on game day.
Josh Reynolds- Might cop some flack for mentioning him here. But in spite of not being the most skilled half to have worn blue and white, he was one of those players that lifted the team with his never say die attitude.
Ben Roberts- Also copped a lot of criticism. But he was a master of drawing players in and getting a good pass away. In part that was because he had great acceleration and a big sidestep.

Halfback
Brent Sherwin- Probably the best kicking game of any player I've seen for our club. Not only that but I used to love the fact that he could show up twice in a quick backline movement by passing to someone then getting outside them to get the ball back two seconds later. I really think he deserved to be ahead of John's for rep teams back in his day. He's probably my favourite player of all time.
Steve Mortimer- I don't have a huge range of memories of him playing. But I have a few, and they're enough to get him on my list.

Utility half & Hooker
Craig Polla-Mounter- I had to create a special spot for him. Ultimate competitor. I think he'd have had a good career in any of these positions if not for the fact that he played amongst a great group of halves and hookers at the club.

Hookers
Michael Ennis- Another player that just competed in everything. A lot of fans here don't rate him, but he just did the simple things right. Quick accurate device, choosing the right option to pass to and the occasional scoot from dh.
Jason Hetherington- People these days wouldn't think highly of him. But at the time a different skillset was required when good hookers won scrums.
Corey Hughes- Another player that many people wouldn't rate. But he just went about the basics very well.

Props
Steve Price.
Darren Britt.
Robert Relf
Roy Asotasi.
Mark O'Meley.
James Graham.
Aiden Tolman.

Second row
Willie Mason
Darren Smith
Frank Pritchard
Kane Cleal- admittedly not a great player, but he ran like a maniac to win my respect.
SBW- Hate the prick for his actions in running out on his contract, but was good while here.
Greg Eastwood.

Locks
Travis Norton.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
My choices reflect the fact that I was born in 1979, so my memories of players before I was 7 or 8 years old are probably a bit dim. And I plan to not follow the rules by naming a 17 man squad anyway. But with that said.

Fullbacks
Rod Silva- loved seeing him drift slowly across the field then shoot through a gap like he was fired from a cannon.
Luke Patten- Ultra reliable. Pretty good in attack and rarely made mistakes in defence.

Wingers
Hazem- Not the most gifted athletically, but I thought his ability to read the game was brilliant. Aside from that his goal kicking won us many close games.
Matt Utai- I can only compare him to a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Not really very tall, but all power. Very hard to stop especially when close to the line.
Brett Dallas- was pretty close to the fastest player in the game at the time. Not the most elusive, but if given a half gap he was going to be tough to stop.

Centres. (Quite a few favourites here)
Nigel Vagana- Quick and elusive.
Willie 'get outta my way' Talau- Not super quick, but he packed a punch in attack and was equally able to dominate in defence. I wouldn't want to run at him or try to stop him if he was running at me.
Willie Tonga- Speedster with plenty of skill. I liken him to Latrell Mitchell without the tendency to be lazy.
J-Moz- Had all the skills. Could read the game, had enough pace and a great step and could make the most out of half chances. Also a great defender.
Krishnan Inu- His first season with us was brilliant. He didn't back it up, but I loved seeing him have a great year with us.

5/8
Terry Lamb- it's been said already, but his support play was hard to match. Even late in his career when his knees were too wrecked to train, he was still producing on game day.
Josh Reynolds- Might cop some flack for mentioning him here. But in spite of not being the most skilled half to have worn blue and white, he was one of those players that lifted the team with his never say die attitude.
Ben Roberts- Also copped a lot of criticism. But he was a master of drawing players in and getting a good pass away. In part that was because he had great acceleration and a big sidestep.

Halfback
Brent Sherwin- Probably the best kicking game of any player I've seen for our club. Not only that but I used to love the fact that he could show up twice in a quick backline movement by passing to someone then getting outside them to get the ball back two seconds later. I really think he deserved to be ahead of John's for rep teams back in his day. He's probably my favourite player of all time.
Steve Mortimer- I don't have a huge range of memories of him playing. But I have a few, and they're enough to get him on my list.

Utility half & Hooker
Craig Polla-Mounter- I had to create a special spot for him. Ultimate competitor. I think he'd have had a good career in any of these positions if not for the fact that he played amongst a great group of halves and hookers at the club.

Hookers
Michael Ennis- Another player that just competed in everything. A lot of fans here don't rate him, but he just did the simple things right. Quick accurate device, choosing the right option to pass to and the occasional scoot from dh.
Jason Hetherington- People these days wouldn't think highly of him. But at the time a different skillset was required when good hookers won scrums.
Corey Hughes- Another player that many people wouldn't rate. But he just went about the basics very well.

Props
Steve Price.
Darren Britt.
Robert Relf
Roy Asotasi.
Mark O'Meley.
James Graham.
Aiden Tolman.

Second row
Willie Mason
Darren Smith
Frank Pritchard
Kane Cleal- admittedly not a great player, but he ran like a maniac to win my respect.
SBW- Hate the prick for his actions in running out on his contract, but was good while here.
Greg Eastwood.

Locks
Travis Norton.
kane Cleal and Ben Roberts ??

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
kane Cleal and Ben Roberts ??

This isn't about the greatest players of all time, it's about your favourite players. My criteria is my own. And to some extent if I think a player cops more criticism than is warranted I'll look for the good things they do. Cleal wasn't skillful or physically imposing, but he could get smashed in his four previous tackles and get back up and run the ball with the same level of aggression. Players with bucket loads of skills are great. But bravery and a never say die attitude are also admirable traits.