Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
141E65EB-2463-45BE-955B-58D686824D51.jpeg
141E65EB-2463-45BE-955B-58D686824D51.jpeg
For most atheists they also have something greater than themselves. It's just the vastness of the universe that they see as greater than themselves.

It's an interesting difference between the religious and the non-religious. The religious see God as the larger picture and humans as God's chosen, special creatures. While atheists see the vastness of the universe and realise that while significant, we're just a spec of sand in a billion oceans.

Regardless of your belief, there's always something greater than yourself.
Without going into too much details, the thoughts summed in this meme sums u my thoughts about atheism in general.
Why be an atheist when you should at least be agnostic ?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 14354 View attachment 14354
Without going into too much details, the thoughts summed in this meme sums u my thoughts about atheism in general.
Why be an atheist when you should at least be agnostic ?
I am agnostic. Here's the thing though. That meme is wrong.

Atheism by definition is:

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Basically put, it's not a definitive belief that God doesn't exist, it's just a lack of belief or disbelief that God exists.

There's different levels of belief. Dawkins has a scale of 7 but I prefer the standard scale of 4:

1) 100% believe God exists - Gnostic Theist
2) Believe God exists but not 100% sure - Agnostic Theist
3) Don't believe God exists but not 100% sure - Agnostic Atheist
4) 100% believe that God doesn't exist - Gnostic Atheist

Personally I sit at the 3. I also believe that no one can be certain either way so 1 and 4 are scientifically inaccurate. But I understand that Theists beliefs require them to be a 1 so that's fine. But a 4 is just dishonest. No matter how much you don't believe God exists, you can't ever be 100% certain.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Basically put, it's not a definitive belief that God doesn't exist, it's just a lack of belief or disbelief that God exists.

There's different levels of belief. Dawkins has a scale of 7 but I prefer the standard scale of 4:

Personally I sit at the 3. I also believe that no one can be certain either way so 1 and 4 are scientifically inaccurate. But I understand that Theists beliefs require them to be a 1 so that's fine. But a 4 is just dishonest. No matter how much you don't believe God exists, you can't ever be 100% certain.
My point is you can be any number you pick, just don't force your pick on others.

I don't bother to "preach" or give my point of view if they didn't ask for it but will defend my belief if attacked. PS asking genuine questions is different than attacking/being a fuckwit for the sake of being a fuckwit.

Not going to lie and say I understand 100%. We are not meant to understand 100%. If we could then faith would not exist, either everyone would be a believe or wouldn't, eliminating free will which is against God.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You may find this funny.

Love Carlin.

I have to be careful when it comes to religious debate. I'm always happy for people to have their own beliefs but when I start getting hounded for not being religious I tend to respond with things like, "so... Why did your church leave some books out of the bible? What about the book of Judas?"

That always starts a shit fight.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My point is you can be any number you pick, just don't force your pick on others.

I don't bother to "preach" or give my point of view if they didn't ask for it but will defend my belief if attacked. PS asking genuine questions is different than attacking/being a fuckwit for the sake of being a fuckwit.
100%

I often ask people questions about their religion 'cause I'm genuinely curious. Even though I'm not religious, I find religion fascinating.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
But I do always find it funny that a person can support a single religion while openly criticising other religions, like Scientology.

... I'm kidding. Scientology is a joke. Most religions I have the utmost respect for. Not Scientology though. It is a scam.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I volunteer at the local church op shop.

I think I am the only heathen there. Lol

They don't go on about religion.

I am probably lucifer in their eyes. haha

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I volunteer at the local church op shop.

I think I am the only heathen there. Lol

They don't go on about religion.

I am probably lucifer in their eyes. haha
Lucifer is a cool dude though, has a nightclub, does favours for people and solves crimes on the side.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am a fan of sci-fi and crime as well. Sci-fi wise i am more into the Cyberpunk style, about futuristic dystopia or post apocalyptic compared to say, Star Trek style sci-fi.

Crime wise, anything goes really. Though i do like noir style.

I also like Fantasy style, Medievil times etc.
Love Star Trek; all forms of it. Have complete series of each on DVD. As of this point in time because i don't have Amazon Prime I have not seen Picard. My son has watched it and likes it.

Have you watched the Shannara Chronicles, Black Mirror, Dr Who, Umbrella Academy, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits?

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I do always find it funny that a person can support a single religion while openly criticising other religions, like Scientology.

... I'm kidding. Scientology is a joke. Most religions I have the utmost respect for. Not Scientology though. It is a scam.
I can't believe people actually believe in that crap, one thing I do find funny about one religion is South Park's send up of the morman faith, dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb, my apologies to anyone I have offended but that send up was hilarious.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Reading is great. IMO a great novel is more interesting than a great film. Love laying in bed on a rainy night reading a good book (would swap it for a nymphomaniac with nipples like door-stops but you make do with whatever you've got at hand lol).
Dean R Koontz and the Les Norton series would be amongst my favourites.
I agree about books vs films. Love reading a good book on a rainy night but not really into nymphos....;).
Dean R Koontz..for you do you like the film adaptations of his books? Plenty of them to pick from.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

It's an interesting thought but this is just Dawkins thoughts and ideas.

it's the theological equivalent of 72 genders.

yi unsound kore agnostic so that's cool.

for me, 100 percent there is a God and the books are true. There is questions though, because I think some things aren't entirely accurate and have been lost in translation, and I think some of the Old Testament stuff has been embellished but rooted in truth.

perfext example is Noah's ark.

The Bible tells it the way Trump or a leb would tell it 'covered the whole world' 'every animal cuz'.

i believe there was a great flood in the muddle east, science backs this up. But to the people affected, it seems like the whole world.
Then Dawkins rolls in sniggering with the 'what about koalas lol' type logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.