Vagana Scores 5

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
5th April 2002
Bulldogs centre Nigel Vagana catches fire with five tries in his team's 32-6 defeat of Souths at Aussie Stadium. Vagana's feat equals the Bulldogs' record set by winger Edgar Newham in 1942. Auckland-born Vagana tops the NRL in tries that season and is named Dally M Centre of the Year.

Great memories!

Go Dogs

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How good did the bloke move
Speed ,evasive , always in the right spot

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Felt for the bloke that he was one of the players to leave us on the cusp of a premiership. An absolute weapon for us in the 3/4 line. Like so many players at around that time, career went downhill after leaving us (Vagana, Harris, Norton, Asotasi, Mason, O'Meley).

But then again - had he not gone, we would have not seen the emergence of Willie Tonga. And that game he had where we gave Hodges a bath... just wow.

A

Alexander the Great

Speed to burn baby.... man he was solid. I actually forgot how fast he was and how nimble he was.

The last try was pushing it but he got the goods.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I miss the days when we had an elusive centre one side and a powerful centre on the other. Nigel was a great player.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
5th April 2002
Bulldogs centre Nigel Vagana catches fire with five tries in his team's 32-6 defeat of Souths at Aussie Stadium. Vagana's feat equals the Bulldogs' record set by winger Edgar Newham in 1942. Auckland-born Vagana tops the NRL in tries that season and is named Dally M Centre of the Year.

Great memories!

Go Dogs
I remember that game well. Nigel could well have scored 6 or 7 tries that night. I remember sometime late in the 2nd half the ball was thrown to him (and it would've set him off for another try) however he dropped it, and Rabbits said "Vagana, he's human" :D:grinning::tearsofjoy:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He deserved a premiership.. Him & Talau probably the best centre pairing ive seen at our club from the 90s on..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
the best part about it this effort being that it wasn't a complete mauling, he was able to get 5 out of the 6-7? tries scored

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When I saw the title I thought it said vagina. Opening it without confirmation only to find Vagana.

was expecting another type of 5 scores. But still a solid video and a solid night. Can’t believe it’s been so long.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
5th April 2002

Great memories!

Go Dogs
Great Payer, there is no substitute for speed, I had forgotten just how fast he was. but he was surrounded by a sensational team. We were the " Dogs of War" Will ever see another team like that in blue & white? Bring back the glory days

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I was at the game that day. A few of the boys and i had called in sick and went. Awesome game to watch, Vagana ran riot that day, and when he scored his 5th try, the camera panned to me and the boys who were going crazy, ended up on TV.... busted big time. Haha

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I was there that night also and won’t forget that... he was an awesome defender too... great hitter..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Some of these old clips really show that you don't see these kind of tries where one guy beats 6 players as much anymore. Professionalism and coaching has made the sport bland a bit I'm thinking. Also killed the effectiveness of the fast and elusive player.

Vagana in those clips reminds me a little of Kerrod Holland. I know Vagana has worked with players in the past, I wonder if he has been teaching Kerrod in the past?

A

Alexander the Great

What a bust!!
I was at the game that day. A few of the boys and i had called in sick and went. Awesome game to watch, Vagana ran riot that day, and when he scored his 5th try, the camera panned to me and the boys who were going crazy, ended up on TV.... busted big time. Haha

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I could cry just thinking about theyear that never wS

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
5th April 2002

Great memories!

Go Dogs
Jamal lolesi, tricky trindall all good players in the same position but i still remember coming back to Brisbane on a Friday night , I was in the amateur boxing for qld team when I was 12 and everyone on my bus was paying me out for being a doggies supporter, I was sad but came home to watch it taped by my dad and when he counted his 5 tries that was epic . So good !

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nige was one of the classiest centres of his era and was a phenomenal signing for us.

I was always a fan of his brother Joe too. He made Darren Britt look like Craig Field. He was still incredibly skillful though and had pretty good fitness for someone his size.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Nige was one of the classiest centres of his era and was a phenomenal signing for us.

I was always a fan of his brother Joe too. He made Darren Britt look like Craig Field. He was still incredibly skillful though and had pretty good fitness for someone his size.
Hahaha saw a photo of big Joe next to Ruben Wiki a year or so ago and Wiki looked tiny next to him