News Put down the phone. Read a book. Don't be knob heads

A

Alexander the Great

He sounds blocked up in the nose. I'd say the gear has eaten away at most of it.
I hate his voice, he’s opinions are generally bias and his demeanor is like he owns the town. I met him in person last year and he was an arrogant c***! He can EAD

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Are y'all saying that Andrew Johns is not qualified to give advice because he's made mistakes ?
Are you saying he is excluded from an opinion ?

If someone is sent to gaol, are they not allowed to give advice like 'prison no good, don't break the law?'
Nasheed.
Larry Lawton.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's a bit rich coming from the biggest druggie and booze hound footy player of his generation, which is saying something in the coke and pills era that he played in.

I love how players like him with such an extensive history of off field issues act as if they were saints when they played. Freddy is just as bad with the hypocrisy.. If Joey played in the social media era he would have been de-registered by the NRL by his second season.

Johns devalued the immortal status once he was admitted. His antics, self admission of dabbling with the bad stuff should have precluded him from this status especially when the
selecting body knew of all of this. He dodged testing and brought the game into disrepute on several occasions. You would have to question why he has adopted this approach at this time.
Surely he would know his record would tarnish his views but perhaps he's back on the stuff and his judgement is blurred. Johns was a good footballer but his growth to the next level was enhanced and protected. The NRL, at this time, doesn't need this bloke and channel 9 should wake up to themselves. Our blokes, let face it, did the wrong thing despite legalities or whatever but Johns's attempt to get mileage out of this is mistimed, hypocritical, self indulgent and down right stupid. About time he visited another airport and rolled around the floor and demanded a kiss. At least now he would probably escape the media due to our airport inactivity through coronavirus. Coronavirus be buggered, he's not a virus, he's a fucking germ !

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Do you reckon Joey has ever touched a book in his life? Fair dinkum!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I like Johns and he is bloody smart but I don't really know if media is for him.

would be a better coach I think.
Not as bad as Thurston though who is rubbish. Guess it's another category johns is slightly better than him at

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's a personal friend of mine and proves my point

Your right, he should not be excluded from an opinion but it would contain greater sense and credibility if it was
consistent with his past actions which he has not considered inappropriate.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'proves my point'.
As a personal friend of yours can you please pass on a message for me - tell him to shut the fuck up !

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Your right, he should not be excluded from an opinion but it would contain greater sense and credibility if it was
consistent with his past actions which he has not considered inappropriate.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'proves my point'.
As a personal friend of yours can you please pass on a message for me - tell him to shut the fuck up !
soemtiems it's better if he's been through the wash.

If you tell me not to go to prison and I say no lol it's mad, what can you say to that?

Lawton can gibem e the low down on the rape gangs and that

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol please he played in an era with no bounds. These modern day players are taught from 14 years old what it is to be a NRL player.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bit rich from Joey who spent most of his weekends at stilettos on the gear and giving Eddie and the boys a few tips for the weekend.
He is reading the script the show's writers have prepared.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm currently listening to Rachmaninov's Symphony No1 - it has a great intro to the fourth movement.

I have two books I'm reading while stuck at home - one on the history of the Antarctic Research ship "Aurora Australis". I often see her in Hobart when I'm conducting tours of Tassie. She's an Icebreaker, built in Newcastle NSW, and has had some pretty scary adventures. I also know an ex crewman who nearly died on one of the re-supply journeys.

The other book is the latest by Mantell - the third of the Henry VIII series. If you get a chance to see the TV series of the first volume,"Wolf Hall", you'll know what to expect.

I'm putting together a tour of the Dinosaur Trail in Outback Qld. where we'll take the overnight train from Brisbane to Longreach, then spend time at Age of Dinosaurs in Winton - visit the "stampede" at lark Quarry; then head to Richmond to visit "Kronosaurus Korner", Hughenden, Charters Towers and finish in Townsville and a quick tour to Magnetic Island. There will be opportunities to do some hands on digging and lab work with the paleontologists. I'm in the final throws of getting pricing and accommodation locked in. It will only be a small tour - 16 people max. Hoping it will be popular.

Also trying to learn German for my Swiss tours, and working on the model railway.

Best to keep busy while I can't go out. Hope everyone else is staying active.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
players should follow Johns advice and just rest. Andrew leads by example:
images (68).jpeg

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bang on mate. It's really only the technology and hence likelihood of getting caught that's changed.
After all, you can't put brains in statues...

To be fair though, it's not just footballers. I remember Mike Whitney (cricket) saying something like 'Thank Christ we didn't have camera phones and social media in our day - some careers would've ended a lot sooner than they did'...
I'm a bit "yes and no" on this point.

I remember sitting with some mates a few years ago - guys who i lived with for 3 years in an all male university college (the type the media likes to dig dirt on come the start of every university year). The behaviour was so bad in the early 90s that a former principal even write a book on it. Now, we were all talking about how relieved we were that smartphones weren't around etc, as none of us would be able to ever tun for higher office... but if those things were around, would be still have acted the we we did, or would we have learned to curb it a bit for the sake of our future selves? I mean you certainly can't fix stupid, and getting an 18 year old to understand how consequences work would be a challenge to put it mildly, but with all the education around now, particularly for players coming into grade, there must be a point where people just learn to behave a bit differently/discreetly?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm a bit "yes and no" on this point.

I remember sitting with some mates a few years ago - guys who i lived with for 3 years in an all male university college (the type the media likes to dig dirt on come the start of every university year). The behaviour was so bad in the early 90s that a former principal even write a book on it. Now, we were all talking about how relieved we were that smartphones weren't around etc, as none of us would be able to ever tun for higher office... but if those things were around, would be still have acted the we we did, or would we have learned to curb it a bit for the sake of our future selves? I mean you certainly can't fix stupid, and getting an 18 year old to understand how consequences work would be a challenge to put it mildly, but with all the education around now, particularly for players coming into grade, there must be a point where people just learn to behave a bit differently/discreetly?
You're right CD and it's a great point. It's not black and white around technology - but obviously that has played a part.
Absolutely times have also changed in education of footy players and others in terms of codes of conduct, what is and isn't acceptable and where lines will be drawn.
People have to take responsibility for their own actions, especially when they've been educated on those specifics.
As I said, you can't put brains in statues, so there unfortunately will always be some exceptions...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love the thread title.!!

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he was credible he would have included that he was talking from personal experience - his advice should have been own your indiscretions, learn from them and try to be a better person.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he was credible he would have included that he was talking from personal experience - his advice should have been own your indiscretions, learn from them and try to be a better person.
Great point.
Share his experience, not just point the finger. His past could be a great asset in helping current players. Infact as an immortal with a tainted past, youd think he'd use the opportunity to do so.

Back in his day there were probably enablers of bad behavior around him. Not now in club land, plenty of education etc.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
meanwhile, making reference to wanting to get on it, on Freddy and the 8th this week

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone knew Joey was a pill popper, including those in the NRL, they just didn’t care until he got caught. They have a lot to answer for but no one put the spot light on them. Because of this it will be a cold day in hell before I take moral direction from the NRL.
I still remember my boss telling me about Johns and his “activities” several years before he got caught. I didn’t believe him at the time..