Who to replace JO & CHN?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who do you want to sign then? What category of players? You do realise the best top talent coming through is expensive too right? (and people say that's risky too) If you want to develop players you do that on the side and we've already been doing that... after that rejects and "expensive players" - good players that won't join a struggling club for what they're worth are all that are left. We've already picked up our fair share of opportunist players and we're a bottom four side. We need better. Add JAC, Cotric, Milford and Friend (or players alike) to go with Luke Thompson and we're a 5th-8th team imo.
Is Thompson is still coming ?
If so, here is my priority signings
Hooker...Someone with great direction fast on the feet and between the ears who has the ability to make everyone around him look good, we have missed out on so many I can't think of anyone now !
Halfback...Can we afford to take our time with the quality we have ?
Fullback...I am not convinced we have found our Rockstar fullback yet
Running back-rower...We have lost CHN now we are desperate for Fifita
I know it's hard to name players
We should be buying quality only

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hooker...Someone with great direction fast on the feet and between the ears who has the ability to make everyone around him look good, we have missed out on so many I can't think of anyone now !
At this stage Thompson is still coming. It depends on the financial situation of NRL vs Super League after the Coronavirus pandemic passes.
Not a lot of quality off contract left in the spine positions. No halfbacks worth buying we're better off sticking with Wakeham. The fullback position looks much the same (Milford is one of the only options I actually see and he's a better five-eighth).
Fifita is the strike second rower that stands out. Will be excess of 1m to sign him (whatever that is in the new salary cap).

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At this stage Thompson is still coming. It depends on the financial situation of NRL vs Super League after the Coronavirus pandemic passes.
Not a lot of quality off contract left in the spine positions. No halfbacks worth buying we're better off sticking with Wakeham. The fullback position looks much the same (Milford is one of the only options I actually see and he's a better five-eighth).
Fifita is the strike second rower that stands out. Will be excess of 1m to sign him (whatever that is in the new salary cap).
This is why players signings should have started by November 2019.
We have missed out on too many great talents :rage::rage::rage:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is why players signings should have started by November 2019.
We have missed out on too many great talents :rage::rage::rage:
and in 2008 (for 2009) we signed Ennis, Eastwood, Stagg and Hannant all from the same team. As well as Josh Morris and Brett Kimmorley to add to that. We need another recruitment raid like that again for 2021. If we don't get that I have massive concerns regarding who's in charge and what they're actually doing.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
and in 2008 (for 2009) we signed Ennis, Eastwood, Stagg and Hannant all from the same team. As well as Josh Morris and Brett Kimmorley to add to that. We need another recruitment raid like that again for 2021. If we don't get that I have massive concerns regarding who's in charge and what they're actually doing.
Don't forget...
The four ex Gronkos were advised to join us by none other than their coach Wayne Bennett
We had some credibility left then...This is now !!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don't forget...
The four ex Gronkos were advised to join us by none other than their coach Wayne Bennett
We had some credibility left then...This is now !!!
Well our 2008 side is where we want to get back to next year (5th-8th). We're a bottom four team atm. So recruitment is different.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Well our 2008 side is where we want to get back to next year (5th-8th). We're a bottom four team atm. So recruitment is different.
I take it you mean 2009?
2008 was our spoon year...

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sign Cameron Smith for 2 years that bloke can play until he is 40

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I take it you mean 2009?
2008 was our spoon year...
I got 2007 and 8 mixed up. That's worse than I thought. Well it's from the same position then just in a different era. 2nd after the spoon is pretty impressive. I'm just hoping we can get back into finals, 5th-8th position. If we were able to recruit those six players back then I don't see why we can't do something similar again.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's not Pay's fault...
But I do question some of his selections !!!
That's all I'm saying too. Like happened with Des. The best players, in their correct positions, seldom happened.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There wont be any decisions made until the Covid-19 thing is settled.
There will be a massive change in player values due to this.
Players wont command the big dollars and clubs wont have the cash to pay big dollars.
At least two thirds of the currant squad will be retained. Its a wait and see scenario.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate...I know it is very ambitious and possibly unrealistic,
But year in year out we should have the belief and the mentality that we can win the premiership irrespective of whom we have in the team, positive thinking would automatically channel down to the players generating a winning feeling and self belief through the squad especially the young players !!!
Expectations must be at a supreme level therefore aiming for a spot in the top eight accepted as success I considered failure, I worry we have started accepting that " also run " attitude
We have to go back to our traditions our strong beliefs and tough mentality otherwise no mater who we buy we will never be successful !!!
Geographically we can not attract talent to our club, but if we truly restore our ways...we will !!!

Last edited:

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd suggest that all bets are off, there will be financial restructuring if RL is to continue at a professional level. Some players may decide they are going to focus on other areas of life.

We have to wait and see what happens in the next 6 months.
I dont think there will be to many that could make the same money in the real world !