DOOM BREAK: Quarantine Cooking Thread

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't done that myself but I imagine it's just like shaving your testicles.... Which I also haven't done.
It takes skill, trust me. The last thing you wanna do is nick your nuts.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As a chef what has been the most over hyped product or dish?

Me Personally I feel like Foie Gras was huge at one stage (didn't ratee it) and then then truffle bandwagon.

The process of how Foie gras turned me off a bit... force feeding corn down their gobs
Depends on the cooking style. There's lots of them. Foie Gras is definitely a big one. And Truffles too, especially recently. Sure, they're good (acquired taste), but adding them to everything is ridiculous.

There's many other ones though. Fine dining in general is shit. There is a place for it but only if it's to make an absolute taste experience. Most fine dining dishes you try are crap. It's your usual stuff in small portions.

There's this other big drive you see which I call the "Master Chef Drive". It's where you go to a restaurant and look a the menu and the whole menu is a wank. It's "Duck confit with zucchini flowers and salt of the peak of everest". Then you eat it and everyone around you says, "Yes, I can really taste the dead bodies from the peak of everest" and you say, "Fuck off. It's salt and butter. That's all you're tasting. Salt and fucking butter"

There's so much wanky bullshit out there.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was about 13 I came up with a bolognese sauce that was ridiculously good. Everyone who tried it absolutely loved it. But it was also really unhealthy so I stopped cooking it after a while. After working as a chef and putting constant recipes through my head for the last 20 years, I can't remember the exact ingredients now. All I remember is that it had worchestershire sauce, lemon pepper and mayo. And the mayo made the dish.
I mix Worcestershire sauce with bbq as well as add a Cajun seasoning when making my shepard pie or meatloaf. Just adds a little extra to it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Side note. If you're going to eat out, look at the menu before hand. If there's at least 6 ingredients that you don't recognise, give the place a miss.

On the back of Jamie Oliver and Masterchef, all these restaurants started pushing out bullshit. There's a stream of restaurants that have unqualified chefs picking a bunch of ingredients that no one has ever heard of and throwing them together 'cause they think that makes them a "master chef". It's all bullshit.

If you see a menu like that, check who the head chef is. If they don't list their head chef then it's a wank. If they list their head chef and his qualifications are, "I created the Maccas special sauce by jerking into a sock", then avoid it.

There's very few Chefs I know that run restaurants like that with exotic ingredients that actually make something special with them. Most are just absolute trash.

A

Alexander the Great

I normally have a good indication when something has hit the scene when fast food joints add the items to their menu with either fake or watered down products.

Example the Truffle burgers at McDonald. Mainly the oil based truffle product that has been man made.

The deep fried zucchini flower's got a huge run. They started to appear everywhere over night.

I've done a few up market joints and Sepia is pretty special for me. Care and thought has been put into the menu. Don't mind handing my coin over to a place like that.
Depends on the cooking style. There's lots of them. Foie Gras is definitely a big one. And Truffles too, especially recently. Sure, they're good (acquired taste), but adding them to everything is ridiculous.

There's many other ones though. Fine dining in general is shit. There is a place for it but only if it's to make an absolute taste experience. Most fine dining dishes you try are crap. It's your usual stuff in small portions.

There's this other big drive you see which I call the "Master Chef Drive". It's where you go to a restaurant and look a the menu and the whole menu is a wank. It's "Duck confit with zucchini flowers and salt of the peak of everest". Then you eat it and everyone around you says, "Yes, I can really taste the dead bodies from the peak of everest" and you say, "Fuck off. It's salt and butter. That's all you're tasting. Salt and fucking butter"

A

Alexander the Great

If anyone is into Jap this place I have found to be a pretty wicked experience. Outside of Japan is close as it gets for me

Only seats 8 people and the chef his wife and son cook everything in front of you.

The detail the chef goes into in explaining the food , ingredients and step by step details of what he is doing makes you want to go back to try the different things on the menu he prepares.

http://www.raitanoda.com.au

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Hahaha so true and you’re out of pocket $400 maybe $500 for matching wine for 2.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I normally have a good indication when something has hit the scene when fast food joints add the items to their menu with either fake or watered down products.

Example the Truffle burgers at McDonald. Mainly the oil based truffle product that has been man made.

The deep fried zucchini flower's got a huge run. They started to appear everywhere over night.

I've done a few up market joints and Sepia is pretty special for me. Care and thought has been put into the menu. Don't mind handing my coin over to a place like that.
I’ll let you in on a little secret those truffle oils don’t even have real truffle in them. Not even kidding.

A

Alexander the Great

Yeah they are just oil with just the smell through it. The intense smell is normally a give away compared to when I have had the proper stuff its alot more easy on the nose and not as strong in flavour.
Shit *****.
I’ll let you in on a little secret those truffle oils don’t even have real truffle in them. Not even kidding.

A

Alexander the Great

More if you stick around and keep drinking and end up out all night Did all this before we had the kid. Now it's only for specials occasions so it's kinda good in a way. You appreciate it more.
Hahaha so true and you’re out of pocket $400 maybe $500 for matching wine for 2.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's true for most products. The difference between cheap truffle oil and expensive truffle oil is that cheap truffle oil has artificial truffle oil flavour. Expensive truffle oil has about 5% truffle. If you're lucky.

Try blue cheese dip/sauce. If you're lucky it has 2% blue cheese in it. I make my own which is about 40% blue cheese with sour cream, butter milk, mayonnaise and lemon juice. It's 100 times better than anything you buy in a bottle.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they list their head chef and his qualifications are, "I created the Maccas special sauce by jerking into a sock", then avoid it.
That is sound advice.

I would never that thought of that.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It's true for most products. The difference between cheap truffle oil and expensive truffle oil is that cheap truffle oil has artificial truffle oil flavour. Expensive truffle oil has about 5% truffle. If you're lucky.

Try blue cheese dip/sauce. If you're lucky it has 2% blue cheese in it. I make my own which is about 40% blue cheese with sour cream, butter milk, mayonnaise and lemon juice. It's 100 times better than anything you buy in a bottle.
I got hooked on blue cheese sauce in Murika. I can drink that shit.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I got hooked on blue cheese sauce in Murika. I can drink that shit.
Are there any good ones we can get here from the supermarket? Is blue cheese sauce the same as buffalo wings sauce? Have only tried buffalo wings once and they were pretty tasty.