DOOM BREAK: Quarantine Cooking Thread

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Did you do it the traditional Peking way?

When I learned how it's traditionally done, it turned me off Peking Duck a bit.

The main trick with Peking Duck is that the skin needs to be slightly detached from the meat to get that real crispiness. The traditional way is to make a small incision near the neck then take a straw and blow in it with your mouth.

Something to keep in mind. When you're eating Peking Duck, you're also eating the spit of some old Chinese guy.
I skipped that part on purpose lol

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It’s a full process. I can’t remember exactly but I remember there was a lot involved and was never bothered.
Well I had the duck and I have time now lol

Its drying out now for 24 hours. Should be ready for Sunday lunch.

PS I'm even going to make the pancakes too.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I had the duck and I have time now lol

Its drying out now for 24 hours. Should be ready for Sunday lunch.

PS I'm even going to make the pancakes too.
don’t forget the hoisin sauce, shallot and cucumber

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you tried to searing steaks with mayo? Game changer!!!!
When I was about 13 I came up with a bolognese sauce that was ridiculously good. Everyone who tried it absolutely loved it. But it was also really unhealthy so I stopped cooking it after a while. After working as a chef and putting constant recipes through my head for the last 20 years, I can't remember the exact ingredients now. All I remember is that it had worchestershire sauce, lemon pepper and mayo. And the mayo made the dish.

A

Alexander the Great

I think I watched pitmaster x do this with mayo and butter. Good little video
lol mayo as in mayonnaise. Yeah sounds weird but it’s a thing google it.

Coat your steak in mayo and pan sear in a cast iron or BBQ crate. Whichever, the mayo acts like a protective layer and oil. You’ll have a perfect seared crust steak.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
lol mayo as in mayonnaise. Yeah sounds weird but it’s a thing google it.

Coat your steak in mayo and pan sear in a cast iron or BBQ crate. Whichever, the mayo acts like a protective layer and oil. You’ll have a perfect seared crust steak.
The thing people don't realise is that Mayo is about 90-95% fat/oil. So it's great for that sort of thing. But it depends on the type of mayo used. A whole egg mayo will not work so well as it'll end up tasting like scrambled eggs.

A

Alexander the Great

As a chef what has been the most over hyped product or dish?

Me Personally I feel like Foie Gras was huge at one stage (didn't ratee it) and then then truffle bandwagon.

The process of how Foie gras turned me off a bit... force feeding corn down their gobs
When I was about 13 I came up with a bolognese sauce that was ridiculously good. Everyone who tried it absolutely loved it. But it was also really unhealthy so I stopped cooking it after a while. After working as a chef and putting constant recipes through my head for the last 20 years, I can't remember the exact ingredients now. All I remember is that it had worchestershire sauce, lemon pepper and mayo. And the mayo made the dish.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing people don't realise is that Mayo is about 90-95% fat/oil. So it's great for that sort of thing. But it depends on the type of mayo used. A whole egg mayo will not work so well as it'll end up tasting like scrambled eggs.
Exactly! Although I do use egg mayo just a moderate coat and not to much or to little.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think I watched pitmaster x do this with mayo and butter. Good little video
Yup, usually sear then baste with butter/garlic

bloody unreal.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds delicious. Please remember and share recipe. Love a good spagbowl.

Back in the day we would hit up mammas kitchen up top level of Haymarket for $3.

Not there anymore.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds delicious. Please remember and share recipe. Love a good spagbowl.

Back in the day we would hit up mammas kitchen up top level of Haymarket for $3.

Not there anymore.
I have about 20 different spagbol recipes. Just depends what I feel like at the time. For a fresh, clean one I like to go the blend of fresh herbs and tomatoes, including garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, chives and bay leaves. A few other small things like a bit of worchestershire sauce, but the rest is just the fresh stuff. Then there's the more indulgent ones with extra worchestershire sauce, mushrooms, sugar, mustard, soy sauce.

Of course each recipe has many other ingredients but that's just a sample of the stuff I like doing with spagbol. It's probably my favourite dish of all time. But I can't cook it too often as I love it too much and can't stop eating it. Seriously. I gain 5 Kgs in one night eating spagbol and there's no regrets.