News Put down the phone. Read a book. Don't be knob heads

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put down the phone. Read a book. Don't be knob heads... That is Andrew Johns' tip for NRL players to mull over in self-isolation, saying it could help avoid off-field scandals like the recent Canterbury controversy.

The rugby league Immortal was left shaking his head over the behaviour of Bulldogs players Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera who were this week deregistered by the NRL after it was revealed the pair had sex with teenage schoolgirls on a team trip to Port Macquarie in February.

Okunbor, 23, and Harawira-Naera, 24, were accused of contacting the girls on social media and inviting them to the team hotel for consensual sex after earlier visiting a high school for a promotional NRL visit.

Johns said players didn't need any more education from the NRL on how to conduct themselves but still offered some free, old school advice.

"How much education can you give them?" he told Wide World of Sports.

"I will give them some education - get your phones, put them in your bag and don't get them out.

"Don't look at social media. It's not real life.

"A little bit of old school (advice) - don't be knobheads, be smart.

"Go and buy a book, read some books, you might find you actually enjoy it."

While frustrated by the Bulldogs players' behaviour, Johns reckoned one of them may be seen in the NRL again.

"I don't know the whole story (but) Harawira-Naera I think will be back ... within a year or two (Harawira-Naera) will pop up," he said.

"Okunbor it's a different case ... he got the young girl from school.

"Okunbor I think, maybe (career over), I don't know."

Despite the controversy, Johns was not concerned about the Bulldogs' team culture with CEO Andrew Hill and coach Dean Pay at the helm.

"I have to say, the Bulldogs in all of this should be applauded with the way this was handled," he said.

"You can see Andrew Hill and Dean Pay have been trying to change the culture at the club."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's a bit rich coming from the biggest druggie and booze hound footy player of his generation, which is saying something in the coke and pills era that he played in.

I love how players like him with such an extensive history of off field issues act as if they were saints when they played. Freddy is just as bad with the hypocrisy.. If Joey played in the social media era he would have been de-registered by the NRL by his second season.

A

Alexander the Great

Not just him but in all walks of life we see this.

People up in arms about certain behaviour but are guilty of it themselves.
Shit humans.
It's a bit rich coming from the biggest druggie and booze hound footy player of his generation, which is saying something in the coke and pills era that he played in.

I love how players like him with such an extensive history of off field issues act as if they were saints when they played. Freddy is just as bad with the hypocrisy.. If Joey played in the social media era he would have been de-registered by the NRL by his second season.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't stand Andrew john,he's opinion stands for nothing in my eyes, but on this occasion I agree witt th h him 200%,watch them on game day when they arrive,they are glued to their mobile,my wife and I were having dinner at Canterbury leagues,after a game last year we were fortunate to sit in close proximity to a couple of the clubs young players,and their girlfriends or friends,from the moment they sat down,they hardly looked at each other,communication was non exhistant,until the food arrived,this is not just the players this is,2020, unfortunately it's a problem across society,communication is just lost,the mobile phone was meant to be a necessity,not an obsession.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At least these two weren't arrested for what they did as opposed to John's having been arrested for possession of drugs. Maybe Okunbor and CHN should have followed his brothers example and climbed in windows to join a gangbang. I can't stand hypocrites that act like their shit don't stink.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
His credibility is that of some kennelers. Wouldn’t take it to the bank

Tas Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
This guy's hypocrisy knows no bounds. Can everyone remember this one?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/le...our-at-toowoomba-airport-20151003-gk0irk.html

League Immortal Andrew Johns apologises for 'disgraceful' behaviour at Toowoomba airport

League legend Andrew Johns has apologised to a woman who accused him of "disgusting, disgraceful" behaviour while heavily drunk at an airport in Queensland.

Johns was photographed lying on the floor at Toowoomba's Wellcamp airport on Friday night after allegedly propositioning the married woman, who labelled Johns' behaviour "a very bad example".

"Andrew Johns was absolutely disgraceful," Helen Wright posted in a Facebook message to Channel Nine's Today Show on Saturday morning.

"He was severely intoxicated. I am a 42 year old woman that he asked to kiss him. When I refused to kiss him and replied I was happily married and had three sons, his question to me was 'did you have a cesarean birth?'

"Disgusting, disgraceful and a very bad example for all to see. Then he proceeded to pass out on the floor of the airport. Many people were not impressed with his behaviour."

Mrs Wright said Nine, Johns' employer, "should be ashamed" of the former Blues halfback's behaviour. She claimed a witness suggested she post the photo and description of her experience on social media.

"I wish that football commentators [had] more pride and a much higher standard of behaviour in public," she wrote in the post.

"This is not an example that should be presented to children that were present! Many of the children had taken photos of him passed out. My own sons have played football all their lives and we love the game. But not this aspect of the game. Regards Helen Wright."

Nine did not wish to comment on the incident. However, it is understood Johns apologised directly to the Wright family and it was accepted. Fairfax Media tried to contact Mrs Wright. The post was later removed from Facebook.

Johns was named the game's eighth Immortal in 2012 ahead of contenders Norm Provan, Ron Coote and Mal Meninga. Johns' on-field achievements were never in doubt. However, his elevation was met coolly by some, who felt his behaviour off the field did not live up to the title.

Johns dropped a bombshell in his biography, admitting to frequent drug and alcohol abuse throughout his career.

"I feel like the game's forgiven me," he said upon being named an Immortal.

"I'd love to go back and change some things but unfortunately you can't do that.

"They were hard times but they shape the person you are. We all make mistakes, don't we."

The post on Facebook on Saturday received thousands of responses. The most popular comment was "1 word. Legend".

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Are y'all saying that Andrew Johns is not qualified to give advice because he's made mistakes ?
Are you saying he is excluded from an opinion ?

If someone is sent to gaol, are they not allowed to give advice like 'prison no good, don't break the law?'
Nasheed.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Are y'all saying that Andrew Johns is not qualified to give advice because he's made mistakes ?
Are you saying he is excluded from an opinion ?

If someone is sent to gaol, are they not allowed to give advice like 'prison no good, don't break the law?'
Nasheed.
yes

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Have you seen the Joey Johns Meal available at McDonalds?

No burger, no fries - just coke and ice :-).

Yeah, he was a grub in his day, no question. I’ll at least give him some credit for showing that maybe he finally grew up too and everyone has to take responsibility for their own actions.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Put down the phone. Read a book. Don't be knob heads... That is Andrew Johns' tip for NRL players to mull over in self-isolation, saying it could help avoid off-field scandals like the recent Canterbury controversy.

The rugby league Immortal was left shaking his head over the behaviour of Bulldogs players Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera who were this week deregistered by the NRL after it was revealed the pair had sex with teenage schoolgirls on a team trip to Port Macquarie in February.

Okunbor, 23, and Harawira-Naera, 24, were accused of contacting the girls on social media and inviting them to the team hotel for consensual sex after earlier visiting a high school for a promotional NRL visit.

Johns said players didn't need any more education from the NRL on how to conduct themselves but still offered some free, old school advice.

"How much education can you give them?" he told Wide World of Sports.

"I will give them some education - get your phones, put them in your bag and don't get them out.

"Don't look at social media. It's not real life.

"A little bit of old school (advice) - don't be knobheads, be smart.

"Go and buy a book, read some books, you might find you actually enjoy it."

While frustrated by the Bulldogs players' behaviour, Johns reckoned one of them may be seen in the NRL again.

"I don't know the whole story (but) Harawira-Naera I think will be back ... within a year or two (Harawira-Naera) will pop up," he said.

"Okunbor it's a different case ... he got the young girl from school.

"Okunbor I think, maybe (career over), I don't know."

Despite the controversy, Johns was not concerned about the Bulldogs' team culture with CEO Andrew Hill and coach Dean Pay at the helm.

"I have to say, the Bulldogs in all of this should be applauded with the way this was handled," he said.

"You can see Andrew Hill and Dean Pay have been trying to change the culture at the club."
Remember Newcastle friends telling stories of running into him the night before big games out on the town in Newcastle. Totally coked up. Aggressive with women. etc. etc.

Agree with the content he's saying. 100% But coming from him? Literally only a few days ago there was a story about a punchup between him and his bro / bro's girlfriend when Joey was completey shitfaced. By all means hold the player up as one of the greatest to ever play, but stick to the playing part. Him making comments on the social / behaviour aspects of rugby league players is absolutely insulting.

A

Alexander the Great

I see he read plenty of books in his time as a player. Better than Lego Joeyimages.jpeg-60.jpegimages.jpeg-59.jpegimages.jpeg-58.jpeg

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Bit rich from Joey who spent most of his weekends at stilettos on the gear and giving Eddie and the boys a few tips for the weekend.
...passed out on the bathroom floor at Fanny's night club.. stumbling out of the Castle night club and down steele st to the brothel.. "smelling" the top of the amp on stage at the Jolly Roger... and that's only 3 occasions that I ran into him out on the town back in the day..

Footballers in that time were lucky we didnt have mobile phones with cameras let alone social media!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
...passed out on the bathroom floor at Fanny's night club.. stumbling out of the Castle night club and down steele st to the brothel.. "smelling" the top of the amp on stage at the Jolly Roger... and that's only 3 occasions that I ran into him out on the town back in the day..

Footballers in that time were lucky we didnt have mobile phones with cameras let alone social media!
Bang on mate. It's really only the technology and hence likelihood of getting caught that's changed.
After all, you can't put brains in statues...

To be fair though, it's not just footballers. I remember Mike Whitney (cricket) saying something like 'Thank Christ we didn't have camera phones and social media in our day - some careers would've ended a lot sooner than they did'...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Sounds very similar to what I've heard. He was a maggot. You're absolutely right about mobile phones. By God they would've been in a world of pain, especially him!

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate his voice, he’s opinions are generally bias and his demeanor is like he owns the town. I met him in person last year and he was an arrogant ****! He can EAD