Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I read a really good article in the Sydney Morning Herald the other day that was written by a physician which basically says, "Stop asking nurses and physicians for information about this virus". It points out that there's experts who spent their whole lives studying pandemics and those same experts are advising the world leaders. There's a vacuum of information that often gets filled by people in authority including Doctors, but they are just saying what they know. Realistically they don't know that much about it. The article was mainly in criticism of Dr Norman Swan. Personally I really like Swan's work with the Coronavirus podcast. The stuff he does there is great as he provides only the facts that we know so far in a publicly digestable way. But he also criticises the government policies publicly for not doing certain things like "Not testing everyone" even though we don't have enough tests to test everyone. For "Not shutting down schools" even though this would likely put more strain on our hospital system when nurses and Doctors have to stay at home to take care of their kids.

I do it myself. We all do. We're happy to criticise everyone, we just have to keep in mind that no one knows that much about the virus yet but the actual experts that are handling it definintely know a lot more than us.

Personally I think the government is doing well. I definitely think they were too slow to respond but I think they're doing well now with the forced social distancing and free child care. There's going to be massive economic fallout which is unavoidable but I think they're doing the best they can with a bad situation.
Good to know as it was a genuine question as I'm not there. Numbers seem to be OK so it's definitely a good start. Does the warmer weather have anything to do with it? And should Australia be more worried heading into winter?

Again, early on I read / watched some pretty prominant people say the weather has nothing to do with it however more and more experts are saying that it does. Anyone have anything on this? Again, sorry if you've talked about it already but this thread goes pretty quickly and it's hard to keep up with sometimes!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And should Australia be more worried heading into winter?
I'm no doctor or claim to be an expert but I personally think 100% it does. Coming to the in Flu season, people are more prone to get more sick from the normal flu or cold.

Now, if the CV19 situation doesn't flatten or stop I think we will see more cases of the spread because there are more people with the normal flu that may have the virus to spread.

Its just makes logical sense.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I read a really good article in the Sydney Morning Herald the other day that was written by a physician which basically says, "Stop asking nurses and physicians for information about this virus". It points out that there's experts who spent their whole lives studying pandemics and those same experts are advising the world leaders. There's a vacuum of information that often gets filled by people in authority including Doctors, but they are just saying what they know. Realistically they don't know that much about it. The article was mainly in criticism of Dr Norman Swan. Personally I really like Swan's work with the Coronavirus podcast. The stuff he does there is great as he provides only the facts that we know so far in a publicly digestable way. But he also criticises the government policies publicly for not doing certain things like "Not testing everyone" even though we don't have enough tests to test everyone. For "Not shutting down schools" even though this would likely put more strain on our hospital system when nurses and Doctors have to stay at home to take care of their kids.

I do it myself. We all do. We're happy to criticise everyone, we just have to keep in mind that no one knows that much about the virus yet but the actual experts that are handling it definintely know a lot more than us.

Personally I think the government is doing well. I definitely think they were too slow to respond but I think they're doing well now with the forced social distancing and free child care. There's going to be massive economic fallout which is unavoidable but I think they're doing the best they can with a bad situation.
exactly right. People have dedicated there life in this field, extremely smart people. This is who is guiding us through it. Like you say with nurses. Why would you take advice from a nurse on this topic. Be the same as getting a residential builder to quote on a commercial project. Completely different skill sets

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have seen this or debated the origin on this Coronavirus, but found this an interesting starting point to further studies if anyone is interested in the conspiracy behind it all.

My old girl, along with so many other Murdoch disciples, believes that the Chinese set it out on purpose, like yeah, let's set it out in our own country. I would be more likely to believe that America set it off in China, if anything, but I don't believe anybody actually set it off on purpose

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to know as it was a genuine question as I'm not there. Numbers seem to be OK so it's definitely a good start. Does the warmer weather have anything to do with it? And should Australia be more worried heading into winter?

Again, early on I read / watched some pretty prominant people say the weather has nothing to do with it however more and more experts are saying that it does. Anyone have anything on this? Again, sorry if you've talked about it already but this thread goes pretty quickly and it's hard to keep up with sometimes!
From what I've seen they're still trying to figure that out. Generally with the flu, the reason it spreads so badly in winter is because people are more likely to be closer in winter. People tend to flock to inside places like bars where they all mingle. In summer people are more likely to be out in the open, at beaches and parks. That makes it less likely to spread.

In that regard, the separation measures should take care of that.

The other factor is humidity. In a humid environment there's likely to be less dust, and heavier air so the virus stays in the air for less time. Low humidity/high dust environment leads to more time for the virus to stay in the air.

The other factors I think we're not sure about yet.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Allegations that the ruby princess was allowed to dock because it contained in laws of federal liberal mp and had Hillsong members on it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
My old girl, along with so many other Murdoch disciples, believes that the Chinese set it out on purpose, like yeah, let's set it out in our own country. I would be more likely to believe that America set it off in China, if anything, but I don't believe anybody actually set it off on purpose
I believe it's a bioweapon but we aren't in a biowar (yet).

BUT

It would not surprise me one bit if Winnie the pooh infected his people as a cover up to hide his evil intentions IE 911.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Allegations that the ruby princess was allowed to dock because it contained in laws of federal liberal mp and had Hillsong members on it.
Allegations? I thought this was common knowledge?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe it's a bioweapon but we aren't in a biowar (yet).

BUT

It would not surprise me one bit if Winnie the pooh infected his people as a cover up to hide his evil intentions IE 911.

yeah fair enough, I mean I personally don't think there is any conspiracy, but if somebody came out with evidence in re to America setting this thing off and blaming it on China it would not surprise me... we do know pestilences would arrive in the time of the final generation

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Oh of course, it's always Hillsong isn't it

Well I will have you know that my employer just came home via plane from Asia and they were all allowed to go straight home, so there's that.

A

Alexander the Great

tried having a look at this online and couldn't fine much. Can you post a link for me mate?

A

Alexander the Great

Oh of course, it's always Hillsong isn't it

Well I will have you know that my employer just came home via plane from Asia and they were all allowed to go straight home, so there's that.
Friends from Romania were also allowed to come home straight away from the airport and no contact has been made with them for 2 days........... its a stitch up.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Allegations? I thought this was common knowledge?
Nothing in MSM but an independent journalist, who originally broke the Barnaby Joyce mistress story 3 months before MSM picked up on it, is reporting it. (MSM conveniently waited until after the election o break the Barnaby Joyce mistress story).

Federal libs and state nsw are completely quiet about the ruby princess.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s all about cooperation. We need to understand this is how it is..this is what we gotta do..it is simple as that..we work together and we can do our best to minimise the impact that the coronavirus will have on us..we work against each other and the coronavirus will run rampant..Short term pain for long term gain..
The politicians have lost the trust of the public, their respect and lost authority.

We are rampant with one upmanship and distain for authorities. Mixed messages confusing the ill informed and gullible.

No Parliament so no accountability.

Those issues aren't helping IMO.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
China has a possible second wave ,and Bullshited on their numbers Italy may actually have double the death toll due to not testing the dead ,Spain's fucked and this is the beginning
Edit Spain just hit 10000 dead
I just don't understand some people's logic. I just read the same about the second wave, I have no doubt China's numbers are far more than what's been told. Italy, Spain and the US are fked.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Labor and the unions were calling for all those measures at least 2-3 weeks ago tho to be fair.

A

Alexander the Great

Nothing in MSM but an independent journalist, who originally broke the Barnaby Joyce mistress story 3 months before MSM picked up on it, is reporting it. (MSM conveniently waited until after the election o break the Barnaby Joyce mistress story).

Federal libs and state nsw are completely quiet about the ruby princess.
Interesting considering the MSM media will normally have no issues sticking the shanks in the Libs/Religious groups of some kind.
They must have enough content for now to keep their propaganda machine running.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Trump said it will all go away when the weather warms up Nat so don't worry you are coming into your summer :grinning:

Hows the numbers going over there btw?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope that every one is staying safe and well.

Got a phone call last night from the guy who sits in front of us at the footy a beautiful older man around 70 years of age who has a family season pass for him, his wife, son and daughter in law and he was informed that his son and family who currently reside in the US with work commitments all have COVID 19. Touch and go for his son and daughter in law, the kids are doing well.I for one could not imagine getting a call like that.

It really rams home the importance of following the protocol set out by health authorities and thinking of others not just yourself. You may become infected and cope well, with a full recovery but in turn you may infect others who are not so lucky.

Already the lottery is beginning with UK Doctors being told they need to put aside the elderly who become very ill ( and may have other issues) in favour of the young who have a better chance of recovery. It is sad to think that they who are entrusted with our health and well being and who are healers are being faced with the unenviable choice of basically playing God. Life can be beautiful but cruel at the same time.

Holiday makers have been told to stay at home and cancellations are running at a high rate not just from the point of view of those taking the holiday but from the estate agents who booked it. 90 days ban and it is being enforced by the Police. Still there have been reports of people who are making their way to town because they want to escape Sydney. People we have small rural hospitals that will have an issue already in coping with cases which are up in the 60's.

It will be interesting to see just how parents go with keeping their kids at home come end of next week when school officially breaks up. . I have seen groups of them out here in our little village riding around during normal school hours when it was stated that if they were to be kept home parents were to ensure that they did just that...stay at home. Yes, they can exercise but still need to do social distancing. I had to leave home today to go to Centrelink as I received a letter from them that contradicted information I was given a few days ago.Try getting through on the phone even though hours have increased to 12 per day. I went past one of the local schools and there they were a small group of about ten to fifteen kids all playing in the play ground in a space of around ten metres. I know they are kids but they need to learn that they too have to abide by the rules..all the precautions in the world won't help if there are groups still doing the wrong thing.

So what do we know? The best chance of avoiding infection is to stay at home or at the very least minimise possibility of exposure by leaving home as little as possible and when you do abide by social distancing. Maintain good hygiene. Stay as healthy as you can. For mental well being talk to someone if you are having issues. Reconnect with family whether by phone, email, Facetime, social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.