Opinion NRL Numbers

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
These numbers from the NRL's latest financial report

Total Revenue: $528m
(not broken down, but the broadcast deal is the vast majority of this).

Club & State Distributions: $278m
Development: $40m
Operating Costs: $181m
Surplus $30m

Operating on a profit of ~5%

The costs seem far too high.
I'd love to know the breakdown of those operating costs. Let's say staffing is 10% - $18m just for the Chairman, Commissioners, Executives and HQ Staff. Who else do they pay - referees and who else. It's a very large number for how many people?

What other costs do they incur - Stadium Hire?, Travel/Accommodation?, Rent of their Moore Park abode (because they don't own anything). Tax? Sales/Marketing (including advertising)? Loans/Debts? What else?

From 2012-2016 they managed to put away $54m for a rainy day fund but this was eventually spent on other items so there was very little left in the kitty when Covid-19 arrived. Pretty clear that when the vast majority of your revenues disappear because there's no games it's going to get ugly very quickly.

Now the talk is that 50% of the operating costs and staff will go 'so the game can survive' 'and react to future unforeseen events'. Which begs the question - if you are 'forced' to cut expenditure of $90m annually to survive and save for a rainy day - what the hell were you spending the other $90m on?? Or it would seem not all the cuts are coming from the operating costs, but the club grants too - hence a possible cap reduction and why the players will get a haircut too.

I'm just baffled how there was no rainy day fund. There appears to be plenty of room to have created it. Granted this is an unprecedented phenomena - the last time the competition was cancelled I believe was WWII. If as suggested in 2012 $50m was put aside annually for this there would be $400m + interest today to be able to cope with this crisis. Instead it seems everyone cops more pain than they should and they're requesting the ANZ renovation be put on hold so they can have that money - when not so long ago they threatened to take the GF to Brisbane if Sydney didn't get its 'world class' stadiums.

If anyone can shed further light please do - because I can't see where the money has gone...

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They squandered millions on the bunker. On top of that they are paying 3 or 4 times the wages for on field refs. Go back to 1 ref and get rid of the wrestle.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The fat cats have just had a free for all at the trough is my uneducated guess and now the money is gone. They thought there would never be anything like this to expose it and no-one would ever know. Yet here we are....

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I know they have advertised NRL signage aggressively at the Indonesian ports.

the only thing I can conclude from that is they are investing heavily in new refugees ?

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL should be run more conservatively.

Trying to do too much too soon.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Advertising can also be done by the networks who want to sell their product.

The NRL team selves should not be spending that much money.

please remember all the player innovations is from the club and international game is run but the IRFL or whatever it is.

I've seen on seek in the past they have hired aboriginal community liaison officers and Pacific Islander community liaison officers and that's where the money is lost.

There's only one ethnic group the NRL should be trying to focus on right now and that's the whites and Asians.

the white heart and mind is torn between the AFL, the A league, normal league and Union. They also are drawn to cricket more than any other. They are a confused race. But they are the biggest market.

arabians are 2% of the population but they only are drawn to league, soccer and fighting.

aboriginals are also 2% of the population, but they have no money. They provide athletes.

Pacific Islanders the same.

why are the NRL focused so pointedly on them when Indians and Asians have not Adopted any Aussie sport yet and the white market is the biggest and in a big tussle of war?

so many Indians have asked me what sport they should watch in winter here because no one has shown them the way yet or been up in their beeswax.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
400 staff on NRL books.
That's fucking crazy. I read somewhere the ARL in early to mid 90s had more money in the bank to NRL had. This was mid last year. The only good to come out of this bad situation is changed will come. League will be better for it. Greenberg will go.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They squandered millions on the bunker. On top of that they are paying 3 or 4 times the wages for on field refs. Go back to 1 ref and get rid of the wrestle.
Mate couldn’t agree more my friends boyfriend is a new ref in the nrl, they get their own hotel room every weekend not sharing their own, Uber voucher , all food and merchandise, apparently they get given skins, under armour merchandise including socks , shirts and heaps of free stuff , I’ve gotten a few pairs of socks from her . So if a ref is on 100-180 k a year and they get the hotels , the flights etc then it shows the nrl just spends on shit. Hoping this is the shake up we all need

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Surplus $30m

I'd love to know the breakdown of those operating costs. Let's say staffing is 10% - $18m just for the Chairman, Commissioners, Executives and HQ Staff. Who else do they pay - referees and who else. It's a very large number for how many people?

What other costs do they incur - Stadium Hire?, Travel/Accommodation?, Rent of their Moore Park abode (because they don't own anything). Tax? Sales/Marketing (including advertising)? Loans/Debts? What else?

From 2012-2016 they managed to put away $54m for a rainy day fund but this was eventually spent on other items so there was very little left in the kitty when Covid-19 arrived. Pretty clear that when the vast majority of your revenues disappear because there's no games it's going to get ugly very quickly.

Now the talk is that 50% of the operating costs and staff will go 'so the game can survive' 'and react to future unforeseen events'. Which begs the question - if you are 'forced' to cut expenditure of $90m annually to survive and save for a rainy day - what the hell were you spending the other $90m on?? Or it would seem not all the cuts are coming from the operating costs, but the club grants too - hence a possible cap reduction and why the players will get a haircut too.

I'm just baffled how there was no rainy day fund. There appears to be plenty of room to have created it. Granted this is an unprecedented phenomena - the last time the competition was cancelled I believe was WWII. If as suggested in 2012 $50m was put aside annually for this there would be $400m + interest today to be able to cope with this crisis. Instead it seems everyone cops more pain than they should and they're requesting the ANZ renovation be put on hold so they can have that money - when not so long ago they threatened to take the GF to Brisbane if Sydney didn't get its 'world class' stadiums.

If anyone can shed further light please do - because I can't see where the money has gone...
They should have a shit tonne of money from all the unfair fines dished out to us over the years. It simply comes down to jobs for the boys and spending money on lavish trips and "meetings"... Corrupt the lot of them and I hope the all fall on their sword as a result of Covid-19.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate couldn’t agree more my friends boyfriend is a new ref in the nrl, they get their own hotel room every weekend not sharing their own, Uber voucher , all food and merchandise, apparently they get given skins, under armour merchandise including socks , shirts and heaps of free stuff , I’ve gotten a few pairs of socks from her . So if a ref is on 100-180 k a year and they get the hotels , the flights etc then it shows the nrl just spends on shit. Hoping this is the shake up we all need
Skins and stuff would be sponsors.
And it's important refs are well looked after.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should have a shit tonne of money from all the unfair fines dished out to us over the years. It simply comes down to jobs for the boys and spending money on lavish trips and "meetings"... Corrupt the lot of them and I hope the all fall on their sword as a result of Covid-19.
Makes sense can imagine 2 of them being like “jsut fine him, the money we get we can use for the wife and kids mate ! Yeh ! Oh wait he plays the the broncos .. ok who else can we fine ? Anyone from the bulldogs mate . Take your pick “

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Numbers crunch.!!!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Surplus $30m

this isn’t their full P&L is that something they get ally share?

Share it and I’ll take a look.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
this isn’t their full P&L is that something they get ally share?

Share it and I’ll take a look.
I don't have the full report hence full picture mate, so it's vague, but those numbers were pulled from the financial report.
Definitely more info needed to make more sense of it I agree, because something doesn't pass the smell test on the surface.
I'll see what else I can find...

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't have the full report hence full picture mate, so it's vague, but those numbers were pulled from the financial report.
Definitely more info needed to make more sense of it I agree, because something doesn't pass the smell test on the surface.
I'll see what else I can find...
Question. Is the NRL and each club their own entity? Public or private? Anyone know?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Question. Is the NRL and each club their own entity? Public or private? Anyone know?
Don't think any club is publically owned. Could be wrong though.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Public company. Their financials should be public

View attachment 14235
I get the Bulldogs financials as a member, so that's not an issue.
I was referring to the NRL's annual report with the numbers in my original post.
The NRL isn't public I don't think - but I could be wrong about that, I've never really looked into it.