News The advice that sparked Averillo's magic moment

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a piece of advice from Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson that inspired Jake Averillo to produce a moment to remember in his first-grade debut.

The scene had been set for his childhood dream to turn into reality after he received his jersey from Jackson just before kick-off against North Queensland last Thursday night.
Averillo also received a surprise video message from his family, who were at ANZ Stadium that night but unable to visit the dressing room due to COVID-19 protocols.

While he was on the verge of tears as he watched his mum, dad and partner send a final good luck message, it was Jackson’s inspirational address that rendered him speechless.

‘He said that ‘you’re one of the most talented players that I’ve seen at your age,’ and that blew me away to be honest,” Averillo told NSWRL.com.au

“It’s probably the biggest rap you can get.

“He pulled me aside (again) and told me just to back my ability and make sure I get some early touches, and not to be afraid to run the ball, because that’s what I’m good at.”

While the Bulldogs were unable to complete the fairy-tale after going down 24-16 to the Cowboys, the 19-year-old will always reflect on the moment with enormous pride.

He replaced halfback Lachlan Lewis midway through the second-half, and despite playing centre for the past two seasons, felt right at home when he slotted into his preferred position of five-eighth.

He showed exactly what he could do in the dying stages of the contest with a deft grubber for Christian Crichton to score in the right-hand corner.

It was the faith that Jackson and the rest of the Bulldogs squad had instilled in Averillo that gave him the confidence to come up with that moment of magic.

“I told (Brandom Wakeham) to give me the ball early and I had a look up and I noticed the fullback was all on the way of the other side of the field,” he said.The boys had a lot of confidence in me and were telling me to back myself, and we didn’t have that much to lose at that point in the game so I thought why not?”

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was a piece of advice from Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson that inspired Jake Averillo to produce a moment to remember in his first-grade debut.

The scene had been set for his childhood dream to turn into reality after he received his jersey from Jackson just before kick-off against North Queensland last Thursday night.
Averillo also received a surprise video message from his family, who were at ANZ Stadium that night but unable to visit the dressing room due to COVID-19 protocols.

While he was on the verge of tears as he watched his mum, dad and partner send a final good luck message, it was Jackson’s inspirational address that rendered him speechless.

‘He said that ‘you’re one of the most talented players that I’ve seen at your age,’ and that blew me away to be honest,” Averillo told NSWRL.com.au

“It’s probably the biggest rap you can get.

“He pulled me aside (again) and told me just to back my ability and make sure I get some early touches, and not to be afraid to run the ball, because that’s what I’m good at.”

While the Bulldogs were unable to complete the fairy-tale after going down 24-16 to the Cowboys, the 19-year-old will always reflect on the moment with enormous pride.

He replaced halfback Lachlan Lewis midway through the second-half, and despite playing centre for the past two seasons, felt right at home when he slotted into his preferred position of five-eighth.

He showed exactly what he could do in the dying stages of the contest with a deft grubber for Christian Crichton to score in the right-hand corner.

It was the faith that Jackson and the rest of the Bulldogs squad had instilled in Averillo that gave him the confidence to come up with that moment of magic.

“I told (Brandom Wakeham) to give me the ball early and I had a look up and I noticed the fullback was all on the way of the other side of the field,” he said.The boys had a lot of confidence in me and were telling me to back myself, and we didn’t have that much to lose at that point in the game so I thought why not?”
Awesome post mate. Thanks :-)

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The most talented half we have. Would like to see him and Cogger together.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love this kid. Hope Pay does too

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Magic moment?
Lol

The game was done and dusted by then

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Calling for the ball on debut because he can see the fullback is out of position, could he actually be a real half?
And a halfback being in position to deliver him clean ball. Would've been good to see Averillo and Wakeham get a solid month of footy in together but it wasn't to be with all that's going on.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
And a halfback being in position to deliver him clean ball. Would've been good to see Averillo and Wakeham get a solid month of footy in together but it wasn't to be with all that's going on.
They are definitely the future need to persevere with them when the comp restarts. Young halves will make mistakes but huge talents both of them. Would be awesome to see them behind a dominate pack. Cogger and Lewis would be really good NSW cup players and back ups when required.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And then there was SHUT DOWN!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A couple of good moments on debut in that sort of game is something he can be happy with

Both he and Wakeham have good short kicking games.. Wakeham has struggled a bit with confidence but I also think he is the type of player who likes to build a game, and has not had the chance with Lewis getting in the way, so here's hoping we see these two together again whenever football returns

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They are definitely the future need to persevere with them when the comp restarts. Young halves will make mistakes but huge talents both of them. Would be awesome to see them behind a dominate pack. Cogger and Lewis would be really good NSW cup players and back ups when required.
100% these two are both capable of playing a style of footy that could potentially spark our attack, so like you said if the Footy is back then Pay needs to run with them and set the team up around them. If Foran is back then I'd try to fit all 3 in the lineup and have then learn as much as possible playing with him before his contract expires.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A couple of good moments on debut in that sort of game is something he can be happy with

Both he and Wakeham have good short kicking games.. Wakeham has struggled a bit with confidence but I also think he is the type of player who likes to build a game, and has not had the chance with Lewis getting in the way, so here's hoping we see these two together again whenever football returns
I wouldn't say it's confidence with Wakeham, I think it was more to do with not playing in a role he's comfortable with and receiving shitty ball from his halves partner.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's confidence with Wakeham, I think it was more to do with not playing in a role he's comfortable with and receiving shitty ball from his halves partner.
Yeah you're right, man just about every ball from Lachy is received right at the line.. it's no surprise we have so many issues re handling

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah you're right, man just about every ball from Lachy is received right at the line.. it's no surprise we have so many issues re handling
Its the same issue he had with Lichaa, the fact that he would pick the ball up and step before passing it meant that our players had rushing defenders in their face by the time they received the ball and Lewis has a similar issue of not giving our outside backs early ball, he needs to be a lot quicker on the ball to give others the time to create something.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its the same issue he had with Lichaa, the fact that he would pick the ball up and step before passing it meant that our players had rushing defenders in their face by the time they received the ball and Lewis has a similar issue of not giving our outside backs early ball, he needs to be a lot quicker on the ball to give others the time to create something.
yeah I know what you mean. I always get so nervous when somebody is receiving the ball from Lachy because they only have a matter of milliseconds before being hit... what can you do with that? but I also think JMK is similar, maybe slightly quicker than Lichaa but it's still not giving our big men enough to work with, where as Katoa has very speedy service... what ever happens, we cannot continue doing the same things that don't work

A

Alexander the Great

Well done on Jacko. That's how a player should be welcomed into the squad for his big day. Hooky Lewis should take note...............

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He puts more pressure on his support than the defence and as a result he has pretty much crippled a lot of our ball movement. The defence pretty much eases up on him and pressure our support players because they know he's going to run the wrong lines and hit the wrong player, and as you said they leads to issue like ball handling.

What I like about Wakeham is that he schemes and is constantly trying to manipulate the defence throughout the game and this is something we have lacked for years. I also like that he doesn't need to rack up a massive amount of touches to do this and can instead act as a support option while pushing players where he wants them before deciding to inject himself. Unfortunately when partnered with Lewis he couldn't do this as he was stuck out on an edge and not around the ruck where he could float around see what was happening.

Averillo does look special though and moves so well with the ball in hand because of his combination of athleticism and awareness, he can pretty much pick up the ball in numerous positions and immediately attack the defence and apply pressure.

Really excited to see what these two can do if given the chance, think they will be on the same page a lot of the time and won't step on each others toes and can build a very strong partnership that can lead us forward over the coming years.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes playing what's in front of him is nice to see for a half. Foran does the same and maybe Wakeham but don't see any of it in Lewis or Cogger

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great read.

As fans we have to be patient with this type of talent and accept that he is learning and will make mistakes. I was watching a Bulldogs game from 2003 the other day and watched Thurston make a number of mistakes. He did some good things too but overplayed his hand at times and just made simple mistakes at other times. We have to accept that these young blokes struggle with the week-in week-out grind of first grade footy. He will hopefully become one of our greats but it's unlikely to happen within the first few years.