Are we able to sign anyone now?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Well thats how the clubs up the top do business,( and we used to) if you want to accept mediocre why not just follow parramatta
No other club has managed to uproot Bellamy from Melbourne in 2 decades so I'm not holding my breath for it to happen

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
And yet the Knights have signed Frizzel. Do you think Bullfrog would have waited for the pandemic to pass or made the most of it?
I don't see why you wouldn't sign a player in these times if you were going to anyways. As long as it's in the contract that they'll still lose a % due to the salary cap decreasing. I'm sure that's what the Knights have done. If anything everyone is vulnerable right now so possibly able to use it to our advantage regarding players with one year left.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not necessarily a good move trying to sign anyone now. You might get them cheaper later if the cap gets reduced

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No other club has managed to uproot Bellamy from Melbourne in 2 decades so I'm not holding my breath for it to happen
But that was back in the days of Cronk, Slater, Smith and Inglis before that. Times have changed and Bellamy’s record is Melbourne only, maybe he might want to prove it with another team.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see why you wouldn't sign a player in these times if you were going to anyways. As long as it's in the contract that they'll still lose a % due to the salary cap decreasing. I'm sure that's what the Knights have done. If anything everyone is vulnerable right now so possibly able to use it to our advantage regarding players with one year left.
The new player doesn’t have to loose a % if the Cap is reduced, the club can achieve compliance however they like. For example by not resigning players off contract and replacing them with lower cost players.

Go Dogs

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would you sign anyone? If any club falls, we will be in a great position to cherry pick some players to fill our ranks.
Agree.
We would be able to pilfer manly when they fall and we go to their territory
Turbo's !

bullpup71

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I will tell you again it ain’t going to happen stop talking out your arse

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we should sign Nicho Hynes before the Storm realise how overrated Papenhuyzen is.

Moving Drinkwater on will come back to haunt them and I also think Hynes offers more than Papenhuyzen who really only offers speed

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we should sign Nicho Hynes before the Storm realise how overrated Papenhuyzen is.

Moving Drinkwater on will come back to haunt them and I also think Hynes offers more than Papenhuyzen who really only offers speed
Overrated?
One season (and not even that).
His form demanded him to start fullback over Hughes (who is actually the one who took Drinkwater's spot due to injury).

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Overrated?
One season (and not even that).
His form demanded him to start fullback over Hughes (who is actually the one who took Drinkwater's spot due to injury).
Exactly.. One season but he's being hyped up like he is the next Slater. I've been watching him this year and he hasn't appeared to offer a whole lot. I just think they should have persisted with Drinkwater because he offers more.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The knights havent signed frizzell. Contract is not registered. Issue is NRL is going down gurgler and rugby league's earning capacity is reducing so no club in their right mind is going to sign anyone until their is clarity around their own finance & the leagues viability. If the dogs end up in a strong financial position post Corona then they will be in a great position to pick up players whose clubs went up the shitter.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Papenhuyzen overrated? Lol bruh..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Papenhuyzen overrated? Lol bruh..
you been watching this year? hasn't looked threatening at all... I know it's only two rounds but it is reminiscent of Cook at the end of last year when the running game doesn't work, there is no option B... I am not saying he is no good, just not the as good as the hype surrounding him and he has big shoes to fill.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The knights havent signed frizzell. Contract is not registered. Issue is NRL is going down gurgler and rugby league's earning capacity is reducing so no club in their right mind is going to sign anyone until their is clarity around their own finance & the leagues viability. If the dogs end up in a strong financial position post Corona then they will be in a great position to pick up players whose clubs went up the shitter.
Newcastle have a legal contract with Fizzle, it is enforceable at law from 1st November 2020. The NRL has to register the contract before he can play for Newcastle in the 2021 season. But if the NRL refuses to recognise it then he can’t play for Newcastle or anyone else in 2021. That’s about as “signed” as there is, with only the escape being if both parties agree to terminate it, which is exactly the same as every other player signed to every other club.

Go Dogs

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
And yet the Knights have signed Frizzel. Do you think Bullfrog would have waited for the pandemic to pass or made the most of it?
Probably wait like everyone else. He was sensible and realistic.

The Frizzel thing must have been in the wind since before corona. Just announced it at a weird time.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Overrated is a massive call. I mentioned in another post a long time ago that if we were willing to restructure our whole backline and we still want Addo-Carr that we could easily entice him by signing his mate Nico.

Either way DWZ isn't a fullback... We need to give Meaney a go again and if he fails, then players like Nico and Sailor are worth looking at

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Overrated is a massive call. I mentioned in another post a long time ago that if we were willing to restructure our whole backline and we still want Addo-Carr that we could easily entice him by signing his mate Nico.

Either way DWZ isn't a fullback... We need to give Meaney a go again and if he fails, then players like Nico and Sailor are worth looking at
Well when you play in the spine at Melbourne there is big expectations.. I've seen some nice highlights from him, mostly against shit teams, but nothing to suggest he is Billy's replacement, yet.

I am keen to see Meaney have another go.. You could say Hoppa is our best fullback option but he can play multiple positions, where as Meaney, though he had a fair season last year in a struggling team, is a fullback, nothing else. Oh and we should probably also play the actual hooker that we bought as well

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can negotiate at this time, we don't even know what we can offer players for next year yet, or what the cap will be. I'm mystified how the frizzel thing was possible unless he really wanted to go the knights and said he would go at any price
Now, this the time where we really need Desi, Raelean & Ray Back, They will get us some great deals on some great players