Movie Discussion

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Scarface is like the #1 movie in the Lebanese community.
It's the one the Lebs all love, the character they try to emulate and the style they try to be.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s also smoking joints in some clips, enjoy his style.
Him and some of his guests get baked, or pissed, or both during the podcast.

Also Joey Diaz podcast, who also goes on Joe's podcast a lot, is good for a listen to. He is a good story teller makes me laugh just with how he talks. It's called The Church Of What's Happening Now.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Scarface is like the #1 movie in the Lebanese community.
It's the one the Lebs all love, the character they try to emulate and the style they try to be.
How'd that work out for Tony Montana :yum:

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you liked The Babadook, or Aussie films set during the 1800’s, then check out The Nightingale on Foxtel.

Both films directed by an exciting female Aussie whose career I will definitely follow.

Also it’s a great example of how Aboriginals and South Indians look the same, confirming to me at least, further evidence me that Aboriginals travelled to Australia via South India and must of been there for a while before exploring further east.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm starting to get sick of every Aussie movie having to have an aboriginal theme or a hush theme or both.
Can't we just drop the aborigine politics just once and make a good story?

they are 2 percent of the population. I've personally never met one. I don't need every film to be about the history of them.
I rented a movie that had the English dude from Fargo and the office in it, Aussie movie about a killer disease that turned people into 28 weeks later zombies.
Cool I thought. A big actor in an Aussie zombie flick.

Ended up half being about aboriginal rights and burying head in the sand and looked like it was directed by whoever directed the latrell interlude on the NRL promo. Had to turn it off.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm starting to get sick of every Aussie movie having to have an aboriginal theme or a hush theme or both.

they are 2 percent of the population. I've personally never met one. I don't need every film to be about the history of them.
I rented a movie that had the English dude from Fargo and the office in it, Aussie movie about a killer disease that turned people into 28 weeks later zombies.

Ended up half being about aboriginal rights and burying head in the sand and looked like it was directed by whoever directed the latrell interlude on the NRL promo. Had to turn it off.

Wahesh

Reaction score

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190080/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A frustrated writer struggles to keep his family alive when a series of global catastrophes threatens to annihilate mankind.

Everyone' heard of this movie which was filmed in 2009. Basically, America (and the rest of the world) starts to shit itself as the Earth starts to crumble. Tidal waves are on their way, and it's not going to end pretty. A mass evacuation of humanity heads to China in search or Archs that have been created to take 100,000 people each in the hope of survival. The writer, Jackson Curtis, escapes with his family, eventually managing to get them on a plane and head to China. Near miss after near miss, they eventually find the archs and sneak on via a rare route. After a few complications, the water from the tidal waves recede and they discover that Africa is the only continent not under water and they head there... and live happily ever after. The end.

5/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
New Year's Eve

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598822/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_9

The lives of several couples and singles in New York City intertwine over the course of New Year's Eve.

Not a bad movie I must admit. I find some of the things that take place pretty unrealistic (such as re-hiring someone to fix the New Years ball who was fired weeks prior), and an a classy girl falling in love with a douche in an elevator, however overall it's ok. It goes to show how people's lives intertwine overall, in this case it's primarily about how it does so on NYE. Instead of watching the entire, just watch the end credits below - that's the best part.

It also has an all-star cast - Robert De Niro, Halle Berre, Zac Efron, Julia Roberts, Bon Jovi, too many to name...

7/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Grown Ups

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375670/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

After their high school basketball coach passes away, five good friends and former teammates reunite for a Fourth of July holiday weekend.

This is one of those movies with heaps of lame one-liners that the characters LOL at... yet I found them to be quite... well... lame! I actually think that Salma Hayek is the best actor in this movie. Everything else was bordering on stupid. It didn't have a strong storyline at all, so relax, you're not missing out on anything if you don't watch this.

4/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The First Purge

upload_2020-3-30_8-53-10.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6133466/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

America's third political party, the New Founding Fathers of America, comes to power and conducts an experiment: no laws for 12 hours on Staten Island. No one has to stay on the island, but $5,000 is given to anyone who does.

I actually think that this movie is right up @The_Chimpster's alley. Staten Island basically turns into a lawless warzone for 12 hours, and the more people you kill, the more you get paid. Petty crimes start taking place, like looting and vandalism, but soon, the creators of this experiment realise that no one is really doing much damage, there's party's taking place in the street and people seeking refuge. As a result, they send in Mercs disguised as White Supremacist's who are conducting mass killings. They were not counting on the brotherhood to be there, so an all-in-war ensues.

Not a bad movie, plenty of action and attempts to scare people.

7/10.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Major over exaggeration.

The truth about the Black Wars in Tasmania that nearly killed all aboriginals during the 1800's is an inconvenient truth that surely warrants an reference to in a Australian film.

If you like films with an aboriginal theme then check out the following classic movie trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVG5ahQd5kLnLLTsw95ECjaXyfQdM2-E

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The First Purge

View attachment 14147

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6133466/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

America's third political party, the New Founding Fathers of America, comes to power and conducts an experiment: no laws for 12 hours on Staten Island. No one has to stay on the island, but $5,000 is given to anyone who does.

I actually think that this movie is right up @The_Chimpster's alley. Staten Island basically turns into a lawless warzone for 12 hours, and the more people you kill, the more you get paid. Petty crimes start taking place, like looting and vandalism, but soon, the creators of this experiment realise that no one is really doing much damage, there's party's taking place in the street and people seeking refuge. As a result, they send in Mercs disguised as White Supremacist's who are conducting mass killings. They were not counting on the brotherhood to be there, so an all-in-war ensues.

Not a bad movie, plenty of action and attempts to scare people.

7/10.
I've seen all of the purge movies, a good idea but I can take them of leave them personally

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
birds-of-prey-poster.jpg

After splitting with the Joker, Harley Quinn joins superheroes Black Canary, Huntress and Renee Montoya to save a young girl from an evil crime lord.

I wasn't expecting anything from this, and wasn't disappointed. Shoddy direction, poor casting, annoying choreography and a theme that grows more tiresome (men are awful and stupid, women are God deal) the longer it drags on.

I don't mind the look of Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, but she can't do the voice at all, and her Australia accent is very obvious at times.

Only good thing was Ewan McGregor, and even he didn't look like he wanted to be there

1/5

Wahesh

Reaction score
View attachment 14157
After splitting with the Joker, Harley Quinn joins superheroes Black Canary, Huntress and Renee Montoya to save a young girl from an evil crime lord.

I wasn't expecting anything from this, and wasn't disappointed. Shoddy direction, poor casting, annoying choreography and a theme that grows more tiresome (men are awful and stupid, women are God deal) the longer it drags on.

I don't mind the look of Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, but she can't do the voice at all, and her Australia accent is very obvious at times.

Only good thing was Ewan McGregor, and even he didn't look like he wanted to be there

1/5
I heard that Sonic outdone this movie.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I heard that Sonic outdone this movie.
Doesn't surprise me. They had to change the title from birds of prey to birds of prey and the the fabulous emancipation of Harley Quinn because people were too dense to know what the Harley Quinn movie was when doing searches.

Pity the end product still sucked balls

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. They had to change the title from birds of prey to birds of prey and the the fabulous emancipation of Harley Quinn because people were too dense to know what the Harley Quinn movie was when doing searches.

Pity the end product still sucked balls
It tanked big time and all the SJW's snowflakes were blaming men for not seeing it and tried their hardest to derail Sonic movie by slamming it online but it all backfired. You would think by now Hollywood would realise you go woke you go broke. Woke movies fail time and time again, but it's everyone else's fault when they do.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It tanked big time and all the SJW's snowflakes were blaming men for not seeing it and tried their hardest to derail Sonic movie by slamming it online but it all backfired. You would think by now Hollywood would realise you go woke you go broke. Woke movies fail time and time again, but it's everyone else's fault when they do.
It had the potential to actually be a decent movie. But silly crap like fight scenes being turned into a dance routine annoyed me far more than any amount of representing girl power. And certain things like finding a hyena in a petstore were just pointless and insignificant parts of the movie that didn't need to be there. In the end I didn't hate the movie and since I'd not heard much to spruik it I wasn't really expecting it to be a great movie. It had some decent scenes. To me the big downside of the movie was that it leaned more towards goofiness when I had hoped it might be a bit dark.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JoJo rabbit.
The latest in a list of Taika Waititi movies that I've seen. It's not my favourite of them but I did enjoy it. It's a mixture of drama and comedy.

The movie is about a 10yo boy growing up during WW2. He's obsessed with becoming a good Nazi and even has Adolph Hitler as his imaginary friend. An accident while attending his local Hitler youth group excludes him from training to become a soldier and this leads him to having to face some interesting lessons in life.

As mentioned above this isn't the best of his movies in my opinion, but it's still worth a watch. It leans more towards drama but does have some funny moments.

6/10

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you liked The Babadook, or Aussie films set during the 1800’s, then check out The Nightingale on Foxtel.

Both films directed by an exciting female Aussie whose career I will definitely follow.

Also it’s a great example of how Aboriginals and South Indians look the same, confirming to me at least, further evidence me that Aboriginals travelled to Australia via South India and must of been there for a while before exploring further east.
I actually just watched The Nightingale. I thought it was a decent film. Some brutal and disturbing scenes at times, well not for me but i guess for others. It was worth the watch anyway.