Merging

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Financially the Wests Group and Canterbury Leagues Club would be a power house.

But as for Rugby League teams to merge no way. We need the rivalry. That's what makes the game so great.
I totally agree though rivalries can always be forged. The Cronulla and Melbourne rivalry as well as the Broncos and Cowboys are recent ones which are enjoyable as any these days.

I wouldn't mind if the Dogs merged with Tigers tbh and ran all areas that branch off the Hume... It just makes sense to me but only if its a must of course and a name like Wests Bulldogs to go with.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dogs offered to merge with Wests before. Wests rejected the offer saying it would be a dogs takeover not a joint venture. Wests went into a JV with Balmain which went belly up as a result of the Balmain Leagues Club redevelopment debacle. So now it only Wests Ashfield club keeping the team going. And good on them. Fought hard to stay in the comp, including the famous court action. With both Canterbury Leagues club b and West Ashfield closed. Who knows.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mergers don't work in Rugby League.

The Northern Eagles were an unmitigated disaster. The Wests Tigers won a comp but have lost the best juniors and players from two great nurseries over the years and the two sides are constantly at war with each other while also being in financial ruin. St.Merge just took over the Steelers without changing their logo or jerseys and aside from a few games in the Gong, you wouldn't even know Illawarra were part of the "joint venture".

The NRL need to relocate clubs that are in financial peril or cut the ones that can't survive. Merging just alienates two sets of fanbases and creates a soulless and toxic club which will struggle mightily to succeed.

I can't see us merging and I hope no clubs merge. I wouldn't support us if we merged with another club and would just stop watching league completely. I'm sure most fans at other clubs feel the same.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I totally agree though rivalries can always be forged. The Cronulla and Melbourne rivalry as well as the Broncos and Cowboys are recent ones which are enjoyable as any these days.

I wouldn't mind if the Dogs merged with Tigers tbh and ran all areas that branch off the Hume... It just makes sense to me but only if its a must of course and a name like Wests Bulldogs to go with.
fuck that,
'Wests' is an abbreviation and shouldn't be an official name of anything. It's stupid now and it will be even more stupid if we merge with them.

we need it to be 'western Sydney Bulldogs' or 'SWS Bulldogs' and even 'inner west Bulldogs' should we decide to take over that area instead. 'Wests' is dumb.

I wouldn't mind taking the tigers logo with our colours, maybe someone can do a mock up of the logo with orange turned to royal blue?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
2 easy merges to pick imo:

Sharks and dragons. More ppl in the shire go for st George than sharks anyway. I grew up in Gymea Bay. My whole family apart from me go for dragons. It's because dragons were around a lot longer before the sharks. So dragons was the most local team for most ppl in the shire, for a long time. And were very successful for a period before the sharks existed.

Also dragons covering st George and Illawarra regions, its all adjourning the shire.

Next would be titans and Broncos. I live on gc now so know there are more Broncos fans here than titans fans. Same reason as dragons support in the shire. Broncos were around a lot longer than titans. And Broncos have been pretty successful too for a long time. Nobody would care if titans were absorbed by Broncos. Broncos already own se qld.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The leagues club has heaps of assets so I think the Dogs will be ok. I’m wondering what sponsors will do with not having teams playing and no advertising. Will some pull out due to there own hardship so did we kind of ‘dodge a bullet’ having to give bigotry back to a sponsor. We will do it tough but I think we will stand alone

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Rugby League has to reinvent itself, then it's only fair that every club either merges or folds. No favours for anyone.

Yes South's and Roosters Merge as they would be the most stubborn.

What other mergers??

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
2 easy merges to pick imo:

Sharks and dragons. More ppl in the shire go for st George than sharks anyway. I grew up in Gymea Bay. My whole family apart from me go for dragons. It's because dragons were around a lot longer before the sharks. So dragons was the most local team for most ppl in the shire, for a long time. And were very successful for a period before the sharks existed.

Also dragons covering st George and Illawarra regions, its all adjourning the shire.

Next would be titans and Broncos. I live on gc now so know there are more Broncos fans here than titans fans. Same reason as dragons support in the shire. Broncos were around a lot longer than titans. And Broncos have been pretty successful too for a long time. Nobody would care if titans were absorbed by Broncos. Broncos already own se qld.
There is no way the Bronx will merge with the Titans. Titans don't bring anything to the table except juniors, but Brisbane have the best nursery already. They'd rather Titans die. Them dying is essentially a takeover anyway.
Where will a Gold Coast junior fall under without the Titans? Not Newcastle or Nth QLD. Will be broncos by default. Them dying is the takeover.

besides, NRL would never approve a merger even if broncos were feeling generous and ignored my above statement. NRL want to break that monopoly, not strengthen it.

now that I think about it, my point also applies to Cronulla. They die, St George step in anyway. Like you say, they engulf the area and have a sizeable chunk of supporters in the shire anyway. The only way around that is if Cronulla get VERY spiteful and give the territory to Souths. That episode be very nasty and hard on the juniors but I guess it's possible, but it wouldn't be worth St. George's time merging and Souths won't merge no way, I will not let that happen!

I actually think Cronulla are in trouble, I really think the NRL are more than happy to let them fail.
It makes the territory of St. George less complicated, it shaves a Sydney team off which they are desperate to do, and they aren't profitable. Low fan base.
Cronulla-Sutherland future would be much better suited as a feeder team to Souths operating from NSW cup, or a relocation to CC.
That's if we have to kill.

Last edited:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The reason the NRL was pushing for expansion and why it may resist shrinking the number of sides, is the TV deals are worth less with less games played / televised.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1988 a company's rep that followed the Balmain tigers walks into my place of work, as usual we started talking football and out of nowhere he said... Soon there will be no Balmain or Canterbury
I said what are you talking about
he said..The ARL are planing to amalgamate teams in Sydney in attempt to create a national competition
Canterbury, St George and Cronulla 1 team
Balmain, East and Souths 1 team
Manly and Norths 1 team
Wests, Parramatta and Penrith 1 team
He continued...This will happen between 10 to 15 years !
I asked him...How do you know all that ?
he answered...I am a Balmain juniors board member and have been told this information.
That was 1988, then came 1995 supper league
Now it's 2020 will COVID-19 make the NRL (ARL) dream came true ???

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1988 a company's rep that followed the Balmain tigers walks into my place of work, as usual we started talking football and out of nowhere he said... Soon there will be no Balmain or Canterbury
I said what are you talking about
he said..The ARL are planing to amalgamate teams in Sydney in attempt to create a national competition
Canterbury, St George and Cronulla 1 team
Balmain, East and Souths 1 team
Manly and Norths 1 team
Wests, Parramatta and Penrith 1 team
He continued...This will happen between 10 to 15 years !
I asked him...How do you know all that ?
he answered...I am a Balmain juniors board member and have been told this information.
That was 1988, then came 1995 supper league
Now it's 2020 will COVID-19 make the NRL (ARL) dream came true ???
Perhaps by saying 10-15 years he actually meant 32 years plus ... There's no way the Dogs will be merged with those two. Plus the Rorters and Souths? Come on mate. I thought @Nasheed was the shit stirrer on here.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is going to piss people off, but it makes sense for Para and Penrith to merge,and for Canterbury to merge with wests, piss Balmain off it's a joke
That's great, then we can have Josh Reynolds back ( Just Kidding ) If the NRL Merge our club with any other team they will lose me and a lot of other supporters, apart from that the jerseys will look like some kind of gay pride flag with blue, white, orange, & black.