Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe. The daily new cases have dropped a bit but that doesn't factor in every variable. For example, we don't know if the cases dropped due to an actual number of less infections or due to less testing. When the hospital system is under full load they may not have time for efficient testing.

But there's other factors to take into account. The virus has a gestation period of 2 - 14 days. So you could go 14 days without symptoms, then unless you're an extreme case you could go another week without being tested or maybe not get tested at all, and test results generally take a couple of days to come back. So realistically the amount of new cases could be dropping but we could just be looking at a backlog right now.
Hacky, isn't it also true that some people who have been ill are reporting 3+ weeks of actual illness? It could take 2 weeks to see the effect of full lock down, if not longer...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It took years for me to appreciate the special qualities of Italy. I hold their casual way of life yet strong global influences for fine things such as food, fashion, luxuries as a rare balance of successful living.
This thing will change them for sure
Wolfy do you know the impact of nurses being laid off due to cancelling of elective surgery at present?

That seems weird. In possibly 3 weeks time they will be under the pump working extensive hours and probably no overtime. Is that the realistic scenario?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe. The daily new cases have dropped a bit but that doesn't factor in every variable. For example, we don't know if the cases dropped due to an actual number of less infections or due to less testing. When the hospital system is under full load they may not have time for efficient testing.

But there's other factors to take into account. The virus has a gestation period of 2 - 14 days. So you could go 14 days without symptoms, then unless you're an extreme case you could go another week without being tested or maybe not get tested at all, and test results generally take a couple of days to come back. So realistically the amount of new cases could be dropping but we could just be looking at a backlog right now.

So many variables Hacky..so hard to nail exact statistics..I guess that’s the nature of them..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The healthcare system totally needs a hacky to get through this..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wolfy do you know the impact of nurses being laid off due to cancelling of elective surgery at present?

That seems weird. In possibly 3 weeks time they will be under the pump working extensive hours and probably no overtime. Is that the realistic scenario?
I'm not going to be correct in numbers but our hospital has just sent out hundreds of cancelled surgeries based on what, I don't know

As far as nurses go... They have not been laid off.. The exact opposite is happening, we are getting newbies from closed wards to work in Emergency due to nurses being directed into self isolation awaiting test results

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not going to be correct in numbers but our hospital has just sent out hundreds of cancelled surgeries based on what, I don't know

As far as nurses go... They have not been laid off.. The exact opposite is happening, we are getting newbies from closed wards to work in Emergency due to nurses being directed into self isolation awaiting test results
Wolfy could you explain the extra precautions you are taking?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
US Presidential politics has a thing known as "rally around the flag", a phenomena in which times of crisis is greeted by increased trust in the President. Probably the biggest example of this is when George W Bush jumped from 50% to 90% the day after 9/11. But the same kind of thing has happened with most recent Presidents. It doesn't mean they will win the next election though, or that their approval will last. Carter had a bounce before losing because of the bad economy, Bush Snr had a bounce because of the Gulf War, but lost the election also because of a bad economy. Bush Jnr had a woeful approval rating when his second term ended, which was in the middle of the GFC. Apparently the uptick in Trumps approval isn't all that big compared with past rally around the flag bounces. What Trump and his advisors will be really worried about is the economy, which will be the real factor in his reelection chances. If it tanks, it will make it very tough for him to win again, if history is anything to go by.

Details for the above, and also an interesting finding that such rally around the flag bounces have changed to become very partisan in the Obama-Trump era can be read in this article.

It is the growing partisanship in politics that underlines what is going wrong in western democracy of late.
Trump is not your every day politician though. The reason his spike has been smaller is that he is Much more polarising than most politicians. There are those that really like him and those that really hate him.... sadly I think his support base is growing and growing. I’m pretty sure he’ll win.... he is Teflon in the eyes of his supporters and if the economy tanks, he has a ready made excuse.

The dems haven’t helped themselves. They’ve once again pushed the wrong candidate. Biden may not be as divisive as Hilary, but he’s also not going to inspire disillusioned voters .... and Trump is much more popular now than he was when he won the 2016 election.

it was looking like we might have a genuinely progressive candidate until Obama started working the phones.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love nothing more than to see Trump lose.... but I don’t see it happening.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

From what I understand of it (and that's not that much), the nurses being laid off are private hospital nurses. I'm guessing that those nurses will be pi ked up by public hospitals.

Realistically the government should be aiming to subsidise the private hospitals to help with the load.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Know someone in NY and they absolutely HATE Trump. The thing is that individual states can still go ahead and call for school bans etc. which is what NY did and also many other states. Shouldn't be that way but ...

I don't understand why his popularity grows, I really don't. It's beyond me mate but he'll get reelected again. 100%
something you need to understand about American Politics. And life.
There is two America's.
The NY and California America (and immediate surrounding minor states)

And,
The rest.

They honestly should be different countries. There's nothing a NYorker has in common with a guy from Little Rock, Arkansas

And this is reflected in the democrat and republican voting pattern.
If NY and Cali get nuked, Democrats silk never be voted in unless they harden up.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Trump is not your every day politician though. The reason his spike has been smaller is that he is Much more polarising than most politicians. There are those that really like him and those that really hate him.... sadly I think his support base is growing and growing. I’m pretty sure he’ll win.... he is Teflon in the eyes of his supporters and if the economy tanks, he has a ready made excuse.

The dems haven’t helped themselves. They’ve once again pushed the wrong candidate. Biden may not be as divisive as Hilary, but he’s also not going to inspire disillusioned voters .... and Trump is much more popular now than he was when he won the 2016 election.

it was looking like we might have a genuinely progressive candidate until Obama started working the phones.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love nothing more than to see Trump lose.... but I don’t see it happening.
I like Trump.
He's a normal dude in a sea of the elite, which is odd because he himself was born into millions and is billions.
But he's different. He has an amazing instinct.

he gets the common person. I don't know why he can but lifelong pollies can't but he does, and he doesn't follow conventional rules. When he fucks up, he doesn't go on an apology tour, he just doubles down. he's outside the rules. He Bullshits a bit but he isn't fake and a virtue signaller. So he's real. He bullshits in the same way Mohammed Bullshits about how a model sucked him off at Hurlstone Park RSL when the boys were at the pokies, not that he's all passionate about something phony.

he's also a weapon on the debate stage. He psychologically corners his opponents and then unleashes. Democrats and lefties can't admit this so they keep losing. I've watched psychology videos on his tactics and the psychologists are in awe of his talent. But Democrats just stick to he's 'dumb' and that's why Biden is going to get ripped to shreds.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I like Trump.
He's a normal dude in a sea of the elite, which is odd because he himself was born into millions and is billions.
But he's different. He has an amazing instinct.

he gets the common person. I don't know why he can but lifelong pollies can't but he does, and he doesn't follow conventional rules. When he fucks up, he doesn't go on an apology tour, he just doubles down. he's outside the rules. He Bullshits a bit but he isn't fake and a virtue signaller. So he's real. He bullshits in the same way Mohammed Bullshits about how a model sucked him off at Hurlstone Park RSL when the boys were at the pokies, not that he's all passionate about something phony.

he's also a weapon on the debate stage. He psychologically corners his opponents and then unleashes. Democrats and lefties can't admit this so they keep losing. I've watched psychology videos on his tactics and the psychologists are in awe of his talent. But Democrats just stick to he's 'dumb' and that's why Biden is going to get ripped to shreds.
Donald Trump is a madman and is very smart. Thats a deadly combination.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually like Trump junior better.
He is smarter than his dad and doesn't need to double down.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Unfortunately I agree. He's a dick but knows how to drive the masses. Scary world we live in tbh

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Donald Trump is a madman and is very smart. Thats a deadly combination.
How is he a madman though?
What exactly has he done so crazy?
He's achieved way more than any president in my recent memory. Others have been more about symbolism.

Trumps death count has been the lowest of any President.
He's full of bluster but he gets it. He even got the respect of the North Korean guy.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually like Trump junior better.
He is smarter than his dad and doesn't need to double down.
Doesn't have his dads instinct to troll and press the right buttons with it to expose hypocrisy.
And he does double down. In fact, he's the one that said out loud that is the way to best liberals.
When they went after Tucker for misogyny, and Tucker laughed it off, Trump jr posted exactly how to best liberals by doubling down.

I like Trump jr but I don't like he's into canned hunting.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
How is he a madman though?
What exactly has he done so crazy?
He's achieved way more than any president in my recent memory. Others have been more about symbolism.

Trumps death count has been the lowest of any President.
He's full of bluster but he gets it. He even got the respect of the North Korean guy.
He is still a madman.
Nikola Tesla was a madman.
Isaac Newton was a madman.
Henry Ford was a madman.
Friedrich Nietzsche.... definitely was a madman!

You seeing a pattern here?
In my books if I call you a madman its a compliment!

Btw Linus Torvalds. Definitely a madman!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't have his dads instinct to troll and press the right buttons with it to expose hypocrisy.
And he does double down. In fact, he's the one that said out loud that is the way to best liberals.
When they went after Tucker for misogyny, and Tucker laughed it off, Trump jr posted exactly how to best liberals by doubling down.

I like Trump jr but I don't like he's into canned hunting.
He doesn't need to troll.
He is very well spoken and always ends up being 5 steps ahead of his opposition!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He is still a madman.
Nikola Tesla was a madman.
Isaac Newton was a madman.
Henry Ford was a madman.
Friedrich Nietzsche.... definitely was a madman!

You seeing a pattern here?
In my books if I call you a madman its a compliment!

Btw Linus Torvalds. Definitely a madman!
Ok, I see your wave, I interpreted madman as in pol pot or Stalin, not back to the future dude madman.

I salute you and let you walk through my gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.