Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What is the point of building up optimism of its only going to be quashed in two weeks? I agree some media orgs are framing the narrative, but Trump’s initial response was terrible and that’s why his country is in such a bad place now. If he had recognised the threat and acted decisively sooner, rather than showcasing his ignorance by saying it was just like a bad fly and going around shaking people’s hands, his country would probably be in a much better position. I don’t see how anyone could deny he was way too slow to act. Optimism doesn’t produce hospital beds.
Spot on with this post. Can't believe anyone would argue that Trump was right in his initial reaction(s) in the opening weeks of the virus in the US. His "we've got everything under control" approach has directly lead to loss of life. There shouldn't be a debate about this.

What's strange though is that his approval rating in the US has risen directly because of the way he's handled the sitaution. Madness, no?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Spot on with this post. Can't believe anyone would argue that Trump was right in his initial reaction(s) in the opening weeks of the virus in the US. His "we've got everything under control" approach has directly lead to loss of life. There shouldn't be a debate about this.

What's strange though is that his approval rating in the US has risen directly because of the way he's handled the sitaution. Madness, no?
Yeah, it’s complete insanity. He’s already demonstrated a lack of leadership and whether he has committed to re-opening within two weeks or not, taking the “optimistic” approach only encourages people to downplay the seriousness of the situation. I just don’t understand. No matter what he says or does, his popularity grows.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s complete insanity. He’s already demonstrated a lack of leadership and whether he has committed to re-opening within two weeks or not, taking the “optimistic” approach only encourages people to downplay the seriousness of the situation. I just don’t understand. No matter what he says or does, his popularity grows.
Know someone in NY and they absolutely HATE Trump. The thing is that individual states can still go ahead and call for school bans etc. which is what NY did and also many other states. Shouldn't be that way but ...

I don't understand why his popularity grows, I really don't. It's beyond me mate but he'll get reelected again. 100%

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Know someone in NY and they absolutely HATE Trump. The thing is that individual states can still go ahead and call for school bans etc. which is what NY did and also many other states. Shouldn't be that way but ...

I don't understand why his popularity grows, I really don't. It's beyond me mate but he'll get reelected again. 100%
Yeah, NY is getting absolutely hammered. I really feel for anyone living there right now.

You’re not wrong. As much as I’d love to say otherwise, I see no outcome other than a Trump win. Astounding. Disturbing. Inevitable.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, NY is getting absolutely hammered. I really feel for anyone living there right now.

You’re not wrong. As much as I’d love to say otherwise, I see no outcome other than a Trump win. Astounding. Disturbing. Inevitable.
Yeah. NY is getting pumped. Hard. Feel for the people there.

However, it's just so disheartening seeing America, the US, England just fuck this up so badly. We were all caught off guard by how quickly the virus went from China to Europe. No one expected Italy to get so badly hit. Well ... most people didn't expect it, I certainly didn't.

But the US, England and Australia have absolutely no excuse but still they waited and waited and waited. England and the US gave out false and contradictory info to begin with which only made things worse. Much worse. It's horrific that government officials can be so indifferent to human lives.

To top it off. All three governments will get reelected. Put my house on it.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thank you @Lov_Dog .. It's nice to be missed .. Yep I am directly in firing line but taking precautions...
We are clearing out the rehab ward in preparation for the inevitable but at the moment we don't admit covid suspected patients ..they get transferred to Rpah .

But they're hard to detect due to unclear criteria and results take days..
Had a couple of curly ones coming through where their presenting problems were unrelated to covid but developed covid symptoms whilst being treated, both deteriorated quickly and we're ushered off to rpa lights n sirens..
Most of the ED staff are getting into the groove of things now and prepping up for projected spike in numbers
Take care Wolfy..you guys work so hard in such tough times keeping us healthy..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CDC, WHO, research papers coming out of China, South Korea, Germany, Italy and USA. Also, UK research by their Coronavirus response team (Imperial College)

Worldometers has also compiled a lot of that data.

For example, their compiled age based data is here

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/
Brilliant work!

I don't think we can forecast our statistics based on Italy as many reports have led us to believe.. Italy is on the tail end of winter peak flu season and the Coronavirus would have impacted on a healthcare system already at capacity

I'm going g on a limb here as I am going against official trajectory where medical professionals predict an Italian like frequency rate and where some have dismissed the fact that the seasonal flu in the northern hemisphere as impacting the extreme rate of Covid-19 deaths..

Unfortunately there is a significant factor between flu season and this virus .

In flu season, hospitals often and regularly face real situations where there aren't enough beds for the influx of regular patients creating bed blocks where decisions are made to free up beds for the most needy.

Italy was/is in flu season so when Corona virus hit its impact would have been significant to an already strained situation.

My comment is not to downplay the seriousness of the corona virus it is to give perspective from my viewpoint .

I work closely with bed managers , senior staff who have all stated that it's going to get worse once we hit flu season. I have been told things in confidence about plans to deal with an extreme overflow of critically Ill patients .

We are currently bracing for flu season and feel hopeful that we have 3-6 months lead up to help cope with Covid-19

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Take care Wolfy..you guys work so hard in such tough times keeping us healthy..
Thanks my friend... I missed chatting to you just been distracted by a lot of stuff including an addiction to my kitchen rules and a little bit of Mafs (shit show BTW but an addiction is hard to break)..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yesterday Italy had 919 deaths. The most in a single day for the country. Their stats for today won't be added until later tonight, but I don't think they will be much better.
Sadly yes..but is it true that the rates of infections is slowing?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks my friend... I missed chatting to you just been distracted by a lot of stuff including an addiction to my kitchen rules and a little bit of Mafs (shit show BTW but an addiction is hard to break)..
Just stay safe Wolfy and your family..and your addictions are forgiven! :blush:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Brilliant work!

I don't think we can forecast our statistics based on Italy as many reports have led us to believe.. Italy is on the tail end of winter peak flu season and the Coronavirus would have impacted on a healthcare system already at capacity

I'm going g on a limb here as I am going against official trajectory where medical professionals predict an Italian like frequency rate and where some have dismissed the fact that the seasonal flu in the northern hemisphere as impacting the extreme rate of Covid-19 deaths..

Unfortunately there is a significant factor between flu season and this virus .

In flu season, hospitals often and regularly face real situations where there aren't enough beds for the influx of regular patients creating bed blocks where decisions are made to free up beds for the most needy.

Italy was/is in flu season so when Corona virus hit its impact would have been significant to an already strained situation.

My comment is not to downplay the seriousness of the corona virus it is to give perspective from my viewpoint .

I work closely with bed managers , senior staff who have all stated that it's going to get worse once we hit flu season. I have been told things in confidence about plans to deal with an extreme overflow of critically Ill patients .

We are currently bracing for flu season and feel hopeful that we have 3-6 months lead up to help cope with Covid-19
100% agree. It's easy to see this as the only thing affecting the world but the fact is that there's plenty of other viruses and diseases out there that are making the situation much worse. If people don't factor in seasonal flu and every other health problem that hospitals deal with every day then they miss a large part of the problem.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just stay safe Wolfy and your family..and your addictions are forgiven! :blush:
I was addicted to the kennel for years but it took 2 years to break me.. Fell to my knees end of last year due to our situation I just couldn't go on . I'm weak

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% agree. It's easy to see this as the only thing affecting the world but the fact is that there's plenty of other viruses and diseases out there that are making the situation much worse. If people don't factor in seasonal flu and every other health problem that hospitals deal with every day then they miss a large part of the problem.
Exactly, the problem with health care predictions is that they work on worse case scenarios until an authority has proven factors on the statistics.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sadly yes..but is it true that the rates of infections is slowing?
Maybe. The daily new cases have dropped a bit but that doesn't factor in every variable. For example, we don't know if the cases dropped due to an actual number of less infections or due to less testing. When the hospital system is under full load they may not have time for efficient testing.

But there's other factors to take into account. The virus has a gestation period of 2 - 14 days. So you could go 14 days without symptoms, then unless you're an extreme case you could go another week without being tested or maybe not get tested at all, and test results generally take a couple of days to come back. So realistically the amount of new cases could be dropping but we could just be looking at a backlog right now.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

US Presidential politics has a thing known as "rally around the flag", a phenomena in which times of crisis is greeted by increased trust in the President. Probably the biggest example of this is when George W Bush jumped from 50% to 90% the day after 9/11. But the same kind of thing has happened with most recent Presidents. It doesn't mean they will win the next election though, or that their approval will last. Carter had a bounce before losing because of the bad economy, Bush Snr had a bounce because of the Gulf War, but lost the election also because of a bad economy. Bush Jnr had a woeful approval rating when his second term ended, which was in the middle of the GFC. Apparently the uptick in Trumps approval isn't all that big compared with past rally around the flag bounces. What Trump and his advisors will be really worried about is the economy, which will be the real factor in his reelection chances. If it tanks, it will make it very tough for him to win again, if history is anything to go by.

Details for the above, and also an interesting finding that such rally around the flag bounces have changed to become very partisan in the Obama-Trump era can be read in this article.

It is the growing partisanship in politics that underlines what is going wrong in western democracy of late.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It look so overwhelming..and so sad..
It took years for me to appreciate the special qualities of Italy. I hold their casual way of life yet strong global influences for fine things such as food, fashion, luxuries as a rare balance of successful living.
This thing will change them for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.