Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Myer closing until 27 April, over one month away, and it is a certainty that many more will have to do the same. Makes you wonder just how long a lockdown will be for?
Country Road, Witchery and Cotton On did the same.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Get a grip. My wife works on the frontline in a hospital with many confirmed cases. Actually handling them, yes it’s bad but there is definitely a more proportion who are vulnerable who need the most care. As for Russian roulette, I’m at home playing it safe not going anywhere. Most intellectual people are doing the same. I’m just pointing out that the flu never gets the attention but does kill thousands here every year. She says this same thing every bad flu season
The problem with this current flu is the high infection rate and high kill rate.

Covid-19 has a reproduction rate of around 2-3. Seasonal flu has a reproduction rate of around 1.2

Covid-19 has a kill rate of nearly 0% for people under 19, 0.2% for people aged 19 - 40, 0.4% for people aged 40 - 55, the much higher after that going up to 18% for people aged over 70.

Seasonal flu as a comparison has a 0.1% kill rate across all. The only ones safer in this are the ones under 19, everyone else is more at risk than the flu.

As an overall percentage Covid-19 appears to have a 0.6 - 1.5% kill rate when hospitals aren't under stress. That's 6 to 15 times that of the seasonal flu. When hospitals are under stress it's around 3% - 10%. 30 to 100 times worse.

That's the problem with Covid-19 and it's why the governments are willing to face economic ruin and recession to attempt to minimise the damage.

But the flu does generally get the attention, just not much in the media. But that's the media for you.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot about the Italian stallion...
Thank you @Lov_Dog .. It's nice to be missed .. Yep I am directly in firing line but taking precautions...
We are clearing out the rehab ward in preparation for the inevitable but at the moment we don't admit covid suspected patients ..they get transferred to Rpah .

But they're hard to detect due to unclear criteria and results take days..
Had a couple of curly ones coming through where their presenting problems were unrelated to covid but developed covid symptoms whilst being treated, both deteriorated quickly and we're ushered off to rpa lights n sirens..
Most of the ED staff are getting into the groove of things now and prepping up for projected spike in numbers

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Thank you @Lov_Dog .. It's nice to be missed .. Yep I am directly in firing line but taking precautions...
We are clearing out the rehab ward in preparation for the inevitable but at the moment we don't admit covid suspected patients ..they get transferred to Rpah .

Had a couple of curly ones coming through where their presenting problems were unrelated to covid but developed covid symptoms whilst being treated, both deteriorated quickly and we're ushered off to rpa lights n sirens..
Most of the ED staff are getting into the groove of things now and prepping up for projected spike in numbers
You guys are much appreciated by the community, even before all of this shit went down. You all do an unbelievable job.
Stay safe out there.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem with this current flu is the high infection rate and high kill rate.

Covid-19 has a reproduction rate of around 2-3. Seasonal flu has a reproduction rate of around 1.2

Covid-19 has a kill rate of nearly 0% for people under 19, 0.2% for people aged 19 - 40, 0.4% for people aged 40 - 55, the much higher after that going up to 18% for people aged over 70.

Seasonal flu as a comparison has a 0.1% kill rate across all. The only ones safer in this are the ones under 19, everyone else is more at risk than the flu.

As an overall percentage Covid-19 appears to have a 0.6 - 1.5% kill rate when hospitals aren't under stress. That's 6 to 15 times that of the seasonal flu. When hospitals are under stress it's around 3% - 10%. 30 to 100 times worse.

That's the problem with Covid-19 and it's why the governments are willing to face economic ruin and recession to attempt to minimise the damage.

But the flu does generally get the attention, just not much in the media. But that's the media for you.
Where are you getting these stats from?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Coronavirus: 101yo Italian man recovers from COVID-19
An Italian man aged 101 has become the oldest person to recover from COVID-19, after he was released from hospital this week.

Shireen Khalil
@Shireenkal

An Italian government official has said there is “hope for the future” after a 101-year-old man recovered from COVID-19.

The man, only known as Mr. P, was admitted to a hospital in Rimini, in a city north east of Italy last week after he tested positive for the virus.

But on Thursday he was released, according to Gloria Lisi, the deputy mayor of Rimini, Italy.

Lisi said the recovery of the man is “truly extraordinary” and provided “hope for the future”, CNN reported.

“Mr. P. made it. The family brought him home yesterday evening,” the publication reported Lisi saying.

“To teach us that even at 101 years the future is not written.”

Mr. P was born during the Spanish flu pandemic, which is estimated to have killed between 30 million and 50 million people worldwide, according to CNN.

Since Thursday, the city of Rimini documented 1,189 new cases of COVID-19 and the country as a whole has a reported 919 new deaths from the virus – the highest number of fatalities confirmed by any country in the space of 24 hours since the outbreak began.

The country’s COVID-19 death toll now stands at 9,134.

The previous largest daily toll was on March 21, when 793 people died.

Meanwhile, the number of people infected on Friday rose to 86,498, making Italy the second country after the United States to overtake China in terms of cases.

It comes as more than 550,000 cases of COVID-19 have now been confirmed across the world, with 176 countries affected. More than 25000 people have died.

AUSTRALIA

Meanwhile, in Australia, a 91-year-old woman has lost her life to the virus, taking the national death toll to 14.

The woman was a resident at Dorothy Henderson Lodge, an aged care facility located Macquarie Park, northwest of Sydney, where a number of residents and employees have contracted the virus.

It comes as 3503 cases of coronavirus have now been confirmed across Australia, with 1617 in New South Wales, 685 in Victoria, 555 in Queensland, 257 in South Australia, 255 in Western Australia, 62 in the ACT, 58 in Tasmania and 14 in the Northern Territory.

Fourteen people have died, including eight in New South Wales, 3 in Victoria, 2 in Western Australia and 1 in QLD.

According to the World Health Organisation around one out of every six people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing.

Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness, it states on its site.

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough.

Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhoea, WHO explains, adding these symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually.

“Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell. Most people (about 80 per cent) recover from the disease without needing special treatment,” WHO states.

While there have been cases of documented coronavirus among people of all ages — many of who are young and otherwise healthy — older people are at a higher risk of serious complications related to the virus.

“We need to work together to protect older people from the virus,” WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus recently told reporters. “They are valued and valuable members of our families and communities, but they’re at higher risk of the more serious complications of COVID-19.”

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...9/news-story/cce40d831b072586cd280d6c8c402ffb

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should do everything to protect our elderly and most vulnerable

One day we will get old too. If another coronavirus down the track we might be the vulnerable.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where you taking me in Vegas?
We can start at the Moorea beach club. ;)

If your good company, pull your weight, we will hit omnia after a green dish at the mirage, maybe a few surprise stops at the museum and spearmint rhino

If your bad company I'll take you on a tour of "Red Rock mountain" or leave you out back of the stratosphere.

A

Alexander the Great

Dead
I seen the video of it. The end is the best when he just slams her on the ground.

Don't know if this video here has been posted but it's from Italy of a guy getting arrest for being drunk and failing to abide by the lockdown rules. Best takedown.

A

Alexander the Great

Good lucky miss. God give you strength.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

It's really difficult to assertain this % mortality rate because so much of it isn't reported / tested etc. Taking Italy into account they literally only test those who're at serve risk or showing severe symptoms. But, I agree with what you're saying as it's a really deadly virus, and we're only at the beginning. People keep forgetting to take that into consideration when looking at these things.

I guess it's all about how fast it's spreading, and how difficult it is to stop it from going to one person to the next. I believe they made serious mistakes at the beginning with how it could be spread and information they gave doctors who were the key to the rapid spread in Italy (Slovenia also). By focusing mainly on having to wash hands, and also saying that you needed to have symptoms to transfer the virus is spread extremely rapidly. I think a lot of the reaction now is also to pull the increase and spread back to the point before they fucked up?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Apparently we only have 2000 ICU beds in Australia.

Fkn joke.
In all of Australia ONLY 2,200? Fucking hell. Do you know how many beds are in Sydney?

It's just going to be like Italy, isn't it? Doctors having to choose who lives and who dies :(

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Trumps exact quote from the press conference is below. He specifically says "he will not do anything rash or hastily". So he says he won't do anything rash or too hastily - yet the media goes on to write all their stories and headlines as though Trump is just going to let everyone go out again and spread the virus.

"We will be speaking to everybody, I am not going to do anything rash or hastily - I don't do that. But the country wants to get back to work, our country was built to get back to work. We don't have a country where they say hey let's close it down for 2 years - we can't do that - it's not our country.

So we will be talking and it could be that we do sections of our country. There are big sections of our country little affected by what's taken place. Then there are other sections heavily affected so there's a big difference".

Dr Deborah Birx (in the same conference also said) that the media has been putting out death and infection numbers that they know are based on the assumption that no one implements social distancing or lockdowns or other measures to curb the virus spread (which is entirely misleading because we all know that countries including the US have taken huge steps already)

Everyone knows Trump's style is to create hope and optimism, which I think is exactly what he did when he said it would be good for the country to aim to re-open earlier.

I certainly prefer the idea of giving people hope and optimism instead of scaring them with fake death and infection numbers.
What is the point of building up optimism of its only going to be quashed in two weeks? I agree some media orgs are framing the narrative, but Trump’s initial response was terrible and that’s why his country is in such a bad place now. If he had recognised the threat and acted decisively sooner, rather than showcasing his ignorance by saying it was just like a bad flu and going around shaking people’s hands, his country would probably be in a much better position. I don’t see how anyone could deny he was way too slow to act. Optimism doesn’t produce hospital beds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.