Opinion Do you want the season to continue?

Do you want the season to continue?

• Yes

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Don't know don't care

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Of corse, miss the bulldogs already!!!

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss the weekly dose of footy, so yes from me.

It'd be extra special if deano was told to stay away from coaching the side as a head coach aswel lol.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
However long Queensland’s borders remain closed pretty much rules it out. The NRL (and probably the 3 clubs concerned) won’t have the money to base all the players in NSW indefinitely, it was hard enough just with the Warriors.

If you leave the NRL aside and run a smaller competition by excluding all non-NSW teams (except Raiders) you’ve got an 11 team competition so even if the ‘social distancing’ stuff is overcome (not likely in the next 4 weeks) there’s a possibility of 5 games per week and 1 bye for a short season.

I don’t see it happening at this stage as much as I’d like it to happen and how much would 9/Fox be willing to pay to broadcast that anyway? You could bet it would be substantially less than what they are paying now (the flipside argument being anything is better than nothing).
The border is closed but can’t they turn up and self Q for 14-21 days and then reassess?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The border is closed but can’t they turn up and self Q for 14-21 days and then reassess?
They can but who’s going to pay for the accommodation of Qld teams to stay in NSW for many weeks or longer? Seems the cupboard is pretty bare at NRL HQ.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
they should not play for the premiership this year as its not a true test, its like the super league and 2002 revisited.
maybe they should form 4 divisions and play like a mini world cup type comp top 2 teams advance then knock out
following up with a SOO one off game they could do all that in 8 or 9 weeks
what ever the outcome it will be a shit year

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Hypothetically,
Why can't they go to Coffs Harbour and do games every day of the week with all teams getting 5 days rest in between?

fast forward thangs a bit
Bulldogs fan here: good one nasheed and on the way up , they should stop in at port Macquarie....... q

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They can but who’s going to pay for the accommodation of Qld teams to stay in NSW for many weeks or longer? Seems the cupboard is pretty bare at NRL HQ.
You would have to weigh up the cost of the accommodation for Qld teams versus not getting the broadcast money off Fox and Nine.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You would have to weigh up the cost of the accommodation for Qld teams versus not getting the broadcast money off Fox and Nine.
Agreed, that's if Nine/Fox would honour the existing agreement. In a shortened season they'd likely want to pay less. These are among the things still to be worked out and because it appears the NRL had nothing for a rainy day - there's no fund to make up any difference.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
One view may be that playing games may generate some much needed income.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
One view may be that playing games may generate some much needed income.
Agree - but how much revenue vs how much cost - and I’m not sure they know the answer to that yet.

Plus it goes beyond money. How do the NRL convince the Govt to allow them to be an exception to social distancing etc?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Do you want the season to continue - no

The game/fans deserve better than what was dished up the first 2 rounds. Should the NRL play in limp mode for the sole purpose of bringing in $$? I dont know.

Players wont be match fit. They'd need an off season together to prepare and then even if it was possible, how would that effect this years xmas off season prepping for next year. Surely we want a strong comp unaffected next year to put all this mess behind us.

There are so many variables, sponsorship, broadcast dollars, player contracts, clubs and staff trying to survive, theres no way we can comprehend what footy would like moving forward. The NRL has to survive this mess first and then who knows from there.

Besides, no-one wants to see Souths fullback in the state hes going to be in after 6 months smashing ice creams.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We all cant be selfish,the game needs to play to survive.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The season will continue I think, perhaps a late May start. They May have to play some mid week catchup games. Not sure how the players will cope with such a schedule being a full contact sport though.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Depends on the virus, and because of that won't start again imo. Unforunately that's just the reality of the situation

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The season will continue I think, perhaps a late May start. They May have to play some mid week catchup games. Not sure how the players will cope with such a schedule being a full contact sport though.
I would love to see the season restart but have my doubts due to the complexities and this dreadful virus which is effecting so many lives.
We haven’t seen mid-week games for such a long time
The old Amco Cup games at Leichardt on a Wednesday night were fantastic
Always drew in good crowds

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only sport I follow is league, so the selfish part of me wants to see games run. And I'm sure that many players would want to keep playing to guarantee they're still getting the income they want. But realistically it's more likely to add another vector for the spread of the virus. It's time to look after the masses even if it means we sacrifice our own entertainment.

So I'll just put up with a year without the game. Hope this virus runs it's course quickly and with minimal loss of life.