Opinion Do you want the season to continue?

Do you want the season to continue?

• Yes

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Don't know don't care

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
0-2 not sure I do anymore. Player safety is paramount here but I still think the NRL could have created a quarantined environment to produce a nightly televised product that fans would pay to watch.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Depends on when it resumes. if it’s only going to be 5-10rds, may as well just abort the season.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If it doesn't it's going to be the longest off season in history or the shortest season ever. For mine some footy is better than no footy, besides if the season is called off IMO it goes against the very nature of the game and against the spirit of rugby league. Lets not forget rugby league is the closest thing we have to a gladiator sport. It's not aerial ping pong (AFL), nor is it divas taking a dive as in soccer, nor do we wear full body padding as in grid iron. Our game is bone crunching, muscle bruising in your face tribal warfare, played in all types of weather and conditions. So yeah some footy is better than no footy, win, lose or draw.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There must be a 2020 season, I don't care when it is, how many rounds it is, how many games are played or even where they are played. We are going to need a release from the pent up frustration of weeks/months of self isolation. Sport is the best therapy, we can yell, scream, cheer and clap and vent all those pent up emotions. There is going to be a lot of stir crazy otherwise normal people out there that will benefit from sport, any sport, but most particularly live sport.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
However long Queensland’s borders remain closed pretty much rules it out. The NRL (and probably the 3 clubs concerned) won’t have the money to base all the players in NSW indefinitely, it was hard enough just with the Warriors.

If you leave the NRL aside and run a smaller competition by excluding all non-NSW teams (except Raiders) you’ve got an 11 team competition so even if the ‘social distancing’ stuff is overcome (not likely in the next 4 weeks) there’s a possibility of 5 games per week and 1 bye for a short season.

I don’t see it happening at this stage as much as I’d like it to happen and how much would 9/Fox be willing to pay to broadcast that anyway? You could bet it would be substantially less than what they are paying now (the flipside argument being anything is better than nothing).

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
However long Queensland’s borders remain closed pretty much rules it out. The NRL (and probably the 3 clubs concerned) won’t have the money to base all the players in NSW indefinitely, it was hard enough just with the Warriors.

If you leave the NRL aside and run a smaller competition by excluding all non-NSW teams (except Raiders) you’ve got an 11 team competition so even if the ‘social distancing’ stuff is overcome (not likely in the next 4 weeks) there’s a possibility of 5 games per week and 1 bye for a short season.

I don’t see it happening at this stage as much as I’d like it to happen.
It would be the first time in a while that being one of the many clubs packed into Sydney would be an advantage. But yeah, for everything to fall into place for this to happen would likely mean the QLD teams would be right to go as well.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who won the nines just give them the premiership and no minor premiership
the last thing I want is the eels getting the minor premiership for facing us and the titans

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Hypothetically,
Why can't they go to Coffs Harbour and do games every day of the week with all teams getting 5 days rest in between?

fast forward thangs a bit

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If it were a professional league, yes.

With the dumb ***** we have now, no.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We HAVE to play this year.
Not just because of my sanitity but because our younger players need game time for experience.
Whether it be a half a season or not we need it.
Otherwise it will be same same next year for the players have signed on.

Im dirty on all our juniors and Nsw cup has already been ruled out they need game time.
What about our under 20s players that will have to step up to Nsw cup next year because of their age.
They wont be ready because they have missed a year in the juniors.
Wakeham,Averillo,Topine,Doorey,Bailey Odi,Gray, these players are our future and they need experience to fast track them.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on when it resumes. if it’s only going to be 5-10rds, may as well just abort the season.
Plus nobody would be match fit.

People are seriously underestimating how long this shit will go on for.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I felt the 2 first round of games just had no soul.
It's deeply disappointing after an off-season to only have 2 rounds completed. If the game is forced to come back this year, I can't see it being quality.
We're all affected. Fans and players etc..
Important we all maintain our health through this and life will bounce back and so will sport in general.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
We're in the middle of a pandemic and you lot are upset there's no footy?

It will be back next year, don't worry.
True but but if you're so worried about the pandemic then why aren't you in a corona forum?

Why are you upset that some are upset at no footy?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We HAVE to play this year.
Not just because of my sanitity but because our younger players need game time for experience.
Whether it be a half a season or not we need it.
Otherwise it will be same same next year for the players have signed on.

Im dirty on all our juniors and Nsw cup has already been ruled out they need game time.
What about our under 20s players that will have to step up to Nsw cup next year because of their age.
They wont be ready because they have missed a year in the juniors.
Wakeham,Averillo,Topine,Doorey,Bailey Odi,Gray, these players are our future and they need experience to fast track them.
It’s not ideal but it’s hardly going to stop players developing that much. It’s just like getting a season ending injury but they don’t have to worry about all the injury rehab. A lot of those players you listed need to develop physically and they can still work out.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sure hope so. But as mentioned our younger squad can get physically stronger which isn’t a bad thing. I’d love Averillo to get some matches but he’s physique will improve over off season. This could extend players careers too. It’s not good for the older players and ones pushing hard for last contract

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
yes - but we just need to let these next 4 weeks be a lockdown state so we can work out how to restructure our society and protect the vulnerable better. We are in a mess and rugby league is not high on the priority list right now - gutted!