Merging

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think mergers will be the way to go. Some clubs won't survive, i have absolutely no doubt about that. For the good of the game, mergers will be a necessity.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I would absolutely rather fold than merge. No teams would mix well with us, and we would lose at least half of our identity. I have no idea how Wests fans started supporting the Wests Tigers, at least Balmain fans got to keep their mascot.

Norths and Manly never mixed well, but I guess St George and Steelers seems to have gone ok.
What if we merge and just pretend the other team never existed and just take all their good players and coaching staff?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I think mergers will be the way to go. Some clubs won't survive, i have absolutely no doubt about that. For the good of the game, mergers will be a necessity.
Yeah just not us.

Parra and Penrith can become the Western Panther Eels
St G I and Cronulla can become the St George Illawarra Cronulla Knight Sharks
South Sydney and Easts can become The Easterly Southern Bunny Roosters

Manly folds

That brings us down to a nice amount of teams.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
What if we merge and just pretend the other team never existed and just take all their good players and coaching staff?
Well that is exactly what Manly did to Norths, so yeah I would be OK with that tbh.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think if the NRL financial situation gets that bad that certain teams can’t survive you might see more privatisation like with Souths (Holmes a Court / Crowe) and common in US sports. Although Roosters are ok financially these days uncle Nick would buy them in a heart beat if they ever couldn’t pay their bills.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
RIP The Bears. They actually had awesome jerseys

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
fuck no, we we can't live as proud bulldogs!! I don't wana live.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Once again you reply to Dave with loads of sexual innuendo .
I seem remember another thread of Dave's that went down that path.
As I recall there was a fair bit of crack involved

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll reiterate, for a merger To work, ALOT of natural marriage needs to occur.
- similar colours
-neighbouring geography
- no local derby disdain
- a genuine benefit to both parties
-one club so weak it gets dominated by The other

If you look at my criteria, you can see how St George worked.
Same colours,
Sorta close together
Illawarra brought juniors, st George brought the brand
And in reality, it was a takeover.

The only way I can see a merge for us dogs working is, as I've said before, a dominant partnership with Cronulla.
Canterbury-Sutherland Bulldogs.
The same ingredients are present.
Cronulla don't bring enough to the table to demand equal representation, but they do offer a league mad region and some handy juniors.
Our colouring is virtually identical, so what if we go full Kardashian sister and get a bit more black in us?
We are neighbors and we retain the dogs logo. We definitely come out ahead. So you guys can thank me.
Can bring a crew up of big lebbos to the negotiation table with me just to help with the ideas above!

I for one could definitely get behind a jersey that looks more like this;

Attachments

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can someone start a poll? I don't know how to sorry .... :(

Am interested in how many of you would actually continue supporting the Dogs if we merged with another team.

I just can't believe we're even talking about it personally. Know you're trolling people with this Nasheed (well done bty), but so many of you actually think it's a possibility? Fuck that. No way would I support us if we merged

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Can someone start a poll? I don't know how to sorry .... :(

Am interested in how many of you would actually continue supporting the Dogs if we merged with another team.

I just can't believe we're even talking about it personally. Know you're trolling people with this Nasheed (well done bty), but so many of you actually think it's a possibility? Fuck that. No way would I support us if we merged
It depends.
I couldn't get my head around a merger called south west panthers with our logo replaced with a panther But I would if we dominated the partnership like I said.
But then I think that fucks up another team I love. Panthers have been around forever, I don't want them to go. Wouldn't be the Same, and would upset their fans. So what is the point? It's not all about us and our team. Imagine world cricket without the ashes rivalry? Same thing on a smaller scale.
Mergers just don't work well. Better to survive as a feeder like norths or jets, and wait for the moment of return.
North's could easily jump into CC the day they get so horny for a team it's undeniable, and that could be soon when the comp resets.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Get fucked, no way.

The other 15 dickhead teams can merge and call themselves the “BunnysharktigerpussygronkoraiderbeaglecowknightstormTitanwarriorchickenfuckers” and we can play them 24 times a year and kick the shit out of them...

Fuck them and Fuck you Dave..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This thread is a complete waste of time and effort. The only thing that might change for us is the ANZ Stadium redevelopment may well be delayed for 12 to 18 months. The NSW Government has spent the money earmarked for that on state economic stimuli to counteract the corona virus effects. To date $2.3b has been allocated for the various stimulus packages which easily swallows up the $810m budgeted for the ANZ Redevelopment. Politically it’s very palatable to excuse the delay on improving the state’s economics.

Cronulla has contracts signed for the leagues club and the home ground developments and work is well and truly underway. The penalty clauses would scare away any likely suitors.

At this point in time only Manly is in a precarious financial situation, with the Penn family kicking in their usual ~$1m per season. They may be unwilling or unable to supplement that with sufficient funds to offset the corona virus effect on the Seagulls finances. But securing additional investors, shareholders and/or owners is entirely possible.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'd seriously struggle to get my head around it.
First instinct is to say not interested after 40 years invested in the Dogs - but never say never.
Just hope we don't have to even go there. Seriously.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Financially the Wests Group and Canterbury Leagues Club would be a power house.

But as for Rugby League teams to merge no way. We need the rivalry. That's what makes the game so great.