Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The new announcements today are:

- Returning Aussies will be quarantined in hotels and government facilities. Not allowed to return home

- Businesses will be put "on hold". This is very vague (what a surprise), but it sounds like the government will force landlord, banks, etc to freeze rent/loan payments until the business starts up again. Employees will also be put on hold. I have no idea how they will handle this but apparently there will be more details in the coming days

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW, for those who didn't get the email, there's a Super Fund relief scheme being put in place. Anyone who loses their job can apply for early super payment of up to $10,000 for this year and $10,000 for next year. This is tax-free and doesn't affect any other welfare payments or subsidies. It starts from mid-April and you apply through the ATO.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new announcements today are:

- Returning Aussies will be quarantined in hotels and government facilities. Not allowed to return home

- Businesses will be put "on hold". This is very vague (what a surprise), but it sounds like the government will force landlord, banks, etc to freeze rent/loan payments until the business starts up again. Employees will also be put on hold. I have no idea how they will handle this but apparently there will be more details in the coming days
‘they should have done the quarantine way before . But they really have to do it now as good chance anyone coming back now has been exposed , especially all those aussies in bali

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
‘they should have done the quarantine way before . But they really have to do it now as good chance anyone coming back now has been exposed , especially all those aussies in bali
I was listening to ABC this morning where they talked about the flight coming back from Bali. Apparently there was heaps of people on the flight coughing and obviously very sick. Border Force just handed them a leaflet telling them to stay at home then let them go without any question. Didn't even check for fever.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I said in this thread a few pages back that i reckoned that Domestic violence would rise during lockdown.
Everyone predicted that. Even our prime minister and her minions lol. They said it would before lockdown even started/happened.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was listening to ABC this morning where they talked about the flight coming back from Bali. Apparently there was heaps of people on the flight coughing and obviously very sick. Border Force just handed them a leaflet telling them to stay at home then let them go without any question. Didn't even check for fever.
Gladys was quoted from today all passengers arriving home would be screened temperature taken. Details of individuals passed onto authorities to do checkups to ensure self isolation

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gotta watch the Bali influx. These morons taking holidays knowing what was coming should be left there.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Gotta watch the Bali influx. These morons taking holidays knowing what was coming should be left there.
Indonesia has the highest kill rate in the world apparently.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Indonesia has the highest kill rate in the world apparently.
They do mate. There a nation with 4th highest population and have tested the least amount of people. There initial response was we don’t have it here, and we’ll pray our way through this . But looks like they could be in for a world of pain, especially with there health systems. Nurses were wearing rain coats as protection instead of overalls!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
tbh I'm not even sure of the definition of a strawman. I really don't want a partisan argument because they are mind numbing and achieve nothing.

Overall, I'm a fan of Trump but I'm happy to point out many of his failings and areas where I think he is weak.

My only point was that the media border line lied on the topic of 're-opening America' and the media have a proven track of forgetting what the job of a journalist is. They (many american media outlets) spend most of their time trying to bring Trump down, instead of being independent journalists who report facts and hold powerful people to account in front of the common man.

If you have an alternative opinion of the media I'd be keen to hear it.
I respect your wishes not to get into any partisan rumble, they are tiresome and rarely of real value.

A strawman in argument and logic is where I make a statement that misreprents what you said or believe, and than attack it. So for example you might say "the Bulldogs have been rubbish, they don't look like winning a premiership right now". If I then said something like "people like Dawgfather say we can never win a premiership, but that's dumb, we've won premierships before and we will again", I have created a straw man, because you didn't actually say we'd never ever win one again. The basic concept of a straw man is to recreate the other person's argument but change it a bit into one that is easier to argue against.

I've not heard of anyone in authority say anything about closing down for two years. But, it is certainly a lot easier for Trump to attack the whole idea of lock downs by implying that some people think a lock down will last two years.

It also allows him to attack others as fear mongering, because a two year lock down is a scary idea. Trouble is I don't think anyone has seriously proposed a two year lock down. So who is the biggest fear mongerer?

Status
Not open for further replies.