El Masri voted greatest goal kicker of all time

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
https://nam11.safelinks.protection..../HFYUKnPb2tk/Ga52vk3iGsf/HNxdOeko=&reserved=0

As good as El Magic was I'd still have Darryl Halligan in front of him as he could kick goals a LOT further away from the goalposts from any angle. Hazem was an outstanding goal kicker from within range and that was probably from 30 to 35 metres from the goalposts. Halligan could kick them from near halfway and I do remember a match where Ross Conlon kicked a goal when he was playing for Canterbury against Easts at the old Sydney Sports Ground (prior to the Sydney Football Stadium) from over half way. Commentators at the time couldn't believe it when he came over to take an attempt at goal from 5 or 10 on his own side of halfway. he kicked it straight through the middle.
I remember that kick of Conlon's and tried to find it. Couldn't.

Got this clip of Ross Conlon and some other little bloke for Wests who went on to bigger and better things ;)

MIR-PROD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
All time is easily Haz , these days it’s between Adam Reynolds, Cleary and Maloney

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Hazem was an underrated player. Clever player especially in defence

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Hazem was an underrated player. Clever player especially in defence
Yeah 'underrated' even though he had half the Islamic world behind him, every bulldog fan fawning over him, the kennel jacking off to him until this day and coach's scared to drop him even though he was slower than Klemmer.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Halligan for mine that pressure kick against Parra in 98 gets him over the line plus his field goal against Canberra in 94. I know field goals don’t count in goal kicking but he still executed it under pressure.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll repeat,
How can El Masri be considered a better goal kicker than Maloney ?
81% v 92%
Roughly same amount of time in the NRL
Sick of this guy getting mythologized.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll repeat,
How can El Masri be considered a better goal kicker than Maloney ?
81% v 92%
Roughly same amount of time in the NRL
Sick of this guy getting mythologized.
Please some one take this guys internet away

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Abu Hassan Halligan?
ABU HASSAN :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

You reminded me of the old Popeye cartoon where he meets Ali Barbar (who refers to Abu Hassan in the song they're singing while riding the horses lol)...

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Please some one take this guys internet away
So you attack the man and not the substance?

we aren't talking 2 percent here. One guy kicks 9/10 the other 8/10 and the 9/10 guy is more puffed out and has to steer a team around the park. El Masri just needs to hang on the side of the park smiling about how everyone loves him

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Who here remembers when Terry Lamb and Gavin Hill were our goal kickers?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you attack the man and not the substance?

we aren't talking 2 percent here. One guy kicks 9/10 the other 8/10 and the 9/10 guy is more puffed out and has to steer a team around the park. El Masri just needs to hang on the side of the park smiling about how everyone loves him
Yeah smiling as he also crossed the try line for 159 try's in 317 first grade games.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think halligan may have been a slightly better kicker but, Hazem was a great winger in his own right.
Halligan was on the wing because that’s where he would cause the least damage.
Who would I have in my team? Haz.
Who would I have kicking for my life? Probably Halligan.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Goal against Newy with pressure, on his wrong side to win the game and the goal
Against Sharks with gale force winds pushes him past Halligan for me

You could say similar things about Halligan... The 1998 Prelim 2 minutes on the clock on the touch line with 38,000 in the stands, miss and the greatest comeback of all time doesn't happen.

El Masri missed 4 goals that day in Cronulla (4/8) he also missed a sitter in Newcastle earlier.

Halligan too missed some goals including the 1998 game mentioned above and for Poor North Sydney (They would've made a GF in the early 90's, cant remember the year but Halligan had a shocker).

The recent generation are always going to vote for Thurston (Please he isn't even in the top 10), El Masri etc.
For me I was more confident with Halligan and with new technologies (Tees and ball) and more professionalism every year percentages and expectations changes for kickers also.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think halligan may have been a slightly better kicker but, Hazem was a great winger in his own right.
Halligan was on the wing because that’s where he would cause the least damage.
Who would I have in my team? Haz.
Who would I have kicking for my life? Probably Halligan.
Halligan was lightning in his north's days but lost it early on his bulldogs tenure.

still remember some footage of Halligan scoring a long range bears try and I was stunned at how he blitzed everyone chasing him and ran around them. Think the Moses try on the weekend or the Brett Morris try in the fullback highlight.