News Canterbury Bulldogs send coaching staff home without pay, other NRL clubs expected to follow

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Read that AFL players have already been paid approx 50% of their yearly wages. And they've been negotiating over the remainding 50% and have agreed to 50% of that. So does that mean they'll end up getting paid a total of 75% of their total yearly salary?

Tell you what. If that's true they should be ashamed of themselves. I agree that sportspeople have worked hard for their money and that this is just the nature of the beast. I understand that them getting paid more money is just the way it is.

But how many parents, families will be destroyed because a mother or father loses their job with ANY money. Fuck me. And these boys are crying about getting 75% of their total wage ....
Well...they don't care.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can confirm that is the case but who is to say that you will be the one to survive. Remember there are many who have survived, it doesn't kill everyone infected.
I’m pretty fit and healthy and think I’d be ok. It’s not possible for me to stay home for months so I’d rather nip it in the bud and might go buy some of the fruit that lady was spitting on :grinning:

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting that information about "once infected by a virus it's near impossible to be reinfected" from but it's not true. In addition to the fact that there've been an increasing number of documented cases of reinfection, the bigger issue is that the virus is continually mutating so even if we do find a vaccine by the end of the year it's entirely plausable that it won't have any affect on a patient because the strain of virus will be completely different. It already mutated between the first occurance in Wuhan till the peak of infection.

When looking at the 'herd immunity' .... gather you're suggesting that more and more people simply need to get it to build up resistance then I could agree with you to a degree rather than the herd immunity currently being talked about where very little is done to curb the hige rise in infected numbers. Would agree that this seems like the standard way when dealing with many such cases like chicken pox etc. Though not sure, becuause of mutation, whether this would mean much. And ... the costs in human lives we'd have to pay to get there

We do have hospital care. That's without doubt. But as you say we're looking to prevent a rapid spread to avoid the health system frmo crashing as we don't have enough sustainable care to treat the amount of patients that would come into hospitals without those current preventative measures that are taking place. We simply can't come off quarantine as we'll end up back where we started.

It's a hard one without doubt and I certainly don't know the answers. What I do know is that we're in for a very rough 3-4 months at least.

To claim that its not true indicates you lack of understanding on the topic so we can just let that pass.

If what you are saying is correct about mutation being a problem then the human race would have been extinct long ago.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To claim that its not true indicates you lack of understanding on the topic so we can just let that pass.

If what you are saying is correct about mutation being a problem then the human race would have been extinct long ago.
No problem. Not an expert so happy to admit I'm wrong when people present me with information that shows me.

Apparently two cases in New York yesterday that we're reinfected. Got virus twice.

Every virus mutates. Well documented that this virus has mutated already which is why no flu vaccine is 100%. Have read a few docs express their concern about this mutation.

Happy to be corrected tho as I know I get shit wrong all the time. Can understand you not being bothered with me, no offence taken. Point out where I can get such info as it's clearly something I've missed even tho it's seemingly obvious to everyone?

Thanks

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No problem. Not an expert so happy to admit I'm wrong when people present me with information that shows me.

Apparently two cases in New York yesterday that we're reinfected. Got virus twice.

Every virus mutates. Well documented that this virus has mutated already which is why no flu vaccine is 100%. Have read a few docs express their concern about this mutation.

Happy to be corrected tho as I know I get shit wrong all the time. Can understand you not being bothered with me, no offence taken. Point out where I can get such info as it's clearly something I've missed even tho it's seemingly obvious to everyone?

Thanks
No, i'm not bothered by you, its just difficult for me to express all information in words but there are many places to find information on this topic. remember the common flu is also a killer but the rate if infection has slowed and health systems can cope because we have built immunity and this will be the case for this in the future. For now we are in a very dangerous position due to rapid transmission caused by it being new to us all

Last edited:

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
here is an example of what is being told

Prof Mark Harris, an expert in virology at Leeds University, said reinfection in that case was “unlikely”, but added that “there is some evidence in the scientific literature for persistent infections of animal coronaviruses (mainly in bats)”.

When Vallance was asked on Monday if the Japanese case meant herd immunity was no longer achievable, he replied that some people do catch infectious diseases a second time, but that it is a rare occurrence. There was no evidence to suggest that it would occur with the coronavirus, he added.

Prof Jon Cohen, emeritus professor of infectious diseases at Brighton and Sussex Medical School, said: “The answer is that we simply don’t know [about reinfection] yet because we don’t have an antibody test for the infection, although we will have soon.

“However, it is very likely, based on other viral infections, that yes, once a person has had the infection they will generally be immune and won’t get it again. There will always be the odd exception, but that is certainly a reasonable expectation.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The rate of new coronavirus cases in New York is "doubling about every three days" and is speeding up even more, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday. "That is a dramatic increase in the rate of infection."

The new estimates are "troubling and astronomical numbers," the governor said. He added that the apex of the curve of rising coronavirus cases in New York is still 14-21 days away, according to the latest projections. The governor also said New York is in urgent need of ventilators and other vital resources.

"We need the federal help and we need the federal help now," Cuomo said.

As of around midday Tuesday, New York had 25,665 coronavirus cases – roughly half of the U.S. total. The state says at least 210 people have died from COVID-19.

So far, the governor said, New York has not flattened the curve – the metric many officials are following as they attempt to keep the contagious respiratory virus from overwhelming public health systems.

"We haven't flattened the curve," Cuomo said, "and the curve is actually increasing."

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To think only 2 weeks ago people were saying "we should boycott rashays fornot having our backs through this". How times have changed.
The club, like all business, had no choice but to stand stafg down. If players are taking pay cuts, all other staff have to do the same.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It's shit. Really shit. If I'm honest I really didn't expect or understand the potentially economic consequences of this outbreak, but it's becoming evident we're all going to be in for a few tough years at least. Businesses everywhere are going to get truly fucked.

Don't know the answer mate. Really don't. And don't hear enough talking about it either. From the powers that be that is.
In all honesty i think the government is living in hope that we can control the outbreak to minimise the impacts on the economy but the way things look nobody is confident of where we will end up.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully this comes back to bite the rabbits hard..... Medically retiring inglis + burgess and give them high paying jobs in the club....

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How is Australia still on level 2 alert? That Scomo is a muppet

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
They should have gone without “pay” for the last 3 years. Utterly useless.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting stood down without pay is pretty routine at the minute I work in aviation as an engineer and we have been hit hard. Pretty much all the casual staff have been laid off and it’s just lucky I have long service leave up my sleeve. If the planes don’t fly I don’t get paid and I guess it’s the same if you work in footy when there’s no games well expect if you’re a player.....
I’m also in the same industry were our company is in the process of standing down 20,000 workers
I’ve been there for over 30 years and have never seen things this bad and very hard to grasp
I have accumulated 250 LSL days which will see me through but have many friends facing some tough times
Let’s hope this saga ends soon for everybody’s sake

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No, i'm not bothered by you, its just difficult for me to express all information in words but there are many places to find information on this topic. remember the common flu is also a killer but the rate if infection has slowed and health systems can cope because we have built immunity and this will be the case for this in the future. For now we are in a very dangerous position due to rapid transmission caused by it being new to us all
Glad you're not bothered by me as it came across to me anyway that you were having a dig. Cool :grinning: I'm definitely no expert on this so appreciate you finding more info for me. Thanks!

The whole "not true showing my lack of understanding on the topic" thing ...

I think there are two parts to this. Clearly it has happened with Coronavirus - reinfection that is. Perhaps not in large quantities, but I never said it was, just that it can and does happen. For example in Wuhan they were apparently putting up signs outside clinics saying this. Two documented cases in Japan but most likely more. Report in China saying that “14% of Recovered Covid-19 Patients in Guangdong Tested Positive Again.” So I'm not sure "my lack of understanding" has anything to do with it. I simply stated facts so I'm not sure how I was wrong?

Those people who have had Coronavirus it seems are unlikely to have a severe reoccurance of the virus again. This is true. But as the doctor said in that article you shared (the whole article not just bits of it like you've posted) said, short-term you may be immune but not long-term. So does that mean it's "nearly impossible to be reinfected" once you've been infected as you claim? The article and other articles say no which is what I was saying.

As for mutation which you didn't elaborate on.

Was hoping you'd explain what you meant by "If what you are saying is correct about mutation being a problem then the human race would have been extinct long ago." I simply said that mutation occurs in the Coronavirus and again it's well documented that it does. Icelandic reasearched found 40 mutations only yesterday. It's widely accepted that there's over 100 different mutations already. And with these mutations it means the concept of 'herd immunity' is difficult as not all the population will be infected with the same strand of Coronavirus. Isn't that correct? I do though agree after reading more that the mutation is unlikely to have a massive inpact on the whole "can't get reinfected a 2nd time" concept, but it still will. But ..... what's the connection to the "human race (being) extinct long ago?"

You also said "the rate of infection (of the flu) has slowed and health systems can cope because we have built immunity" is this correct though? Obviously we haven't ALL built immunity as so many people still die from the flu every year, and even though we've developed vaccines for it. Are the health systems handling it when we've got record numbers of people dieing from the flu every year? I don't know. The question is why are being getting infected with the flu?

We've got immunisation but still so many people die from it. Is it because not enough people get immunised? Of course, the more people that get vaccinised the better, without doubt. But the effectiveness rate hovers somewhere around 50% I believe? The reality is that they in fact change the immunisation shots every year to adapt to the different strains of flu that come up and even then it's not guaranteed to be as effective. The flu is mutating all the time so we need to adapt to it.

Considering that Coronavirus mutates, don't you think we'd go down the same path? That the herd immunity is something that perhaps isn't guaranteed?

As I said though, I'm no expert on this in the slightest but you're comments about me showing a lack of understanding of things surely can't be right, can it? What you've shared actually more supports what I was saying than your views. The points you made also.

Anyway, appreciate the new info. Makes me even more worried about the future as we're all hanging on this 'vaccine' hope when in reality it still won't protect all of us ... :(

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive heard full lockdown next 3 days possibly 3 weeks but not

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Glad you're not bothered by me as it came across to me anyway that you were having a dig. Cool :grinning: I'm definitely no expert on this so appreciate you finding more info for me. Thanks!

The whole "not true showing my lack of understanding on the topic" thing ...

I think there are two parts to this. Clearly it has happened with Coronavirus - reinfection that is. Perhaps not in large quantities, but I never said it was, just that it can and does happen. For example in Wuhan they were apparently putting up signs outside clinics saying this. Two documented cases in Japan but most likely more. Report in China saying that “14% of Recovered Covid-19 Patients in Guangdong Tested Positive Again.” So I'm not sure "my lack of understanding" has anything to do with it. I simply stated facts so I'm not sure how I was wrong?

Those people who have had Coronavirus it seems are unlikely to have a severe reoccurance of the virus again. This is true. But as the doctor said in that article you shared (the whole article not just bits of it like you've posted) said, short-term you may be immune but not long-term. So does that mean it's "nearly impossible to be reinfected" once you've been infected as you claim? The article and other articles say no which is what I was saying.

As for mutation which you didn't elaborate on.

Was hoping you'd explain what you meant by "If what you are saying is correct about mutation being a problem then the human race would have been extinct long ago." I simply said that mutation occurs in the Coronavirus and again it's well documented that it does. Icelandic reasearched found 40 mutations only yesterday. It's widely accepted that there's over 100 different mutations already. And with these mutations it means the concept of 'herd immunity' is difficult as not all the population will be infected with the same strand of Coronavirus. Isn't that correct? I do though agree after reading more that the mutation is unlikely to have a massive inpact on the whole "can't get reinfected a 2nd time" concept, but it still will. But ..... what's the connection to the "human race (being) extinct long ago?"

You also said "the rate of infection (of the flu) has slowed and health systems can cope because we have built immunity" is this correct though? Obviously we haven't ALL built immunity as so many people still die from the flu every year, and even though we've developed vaccines for it. Are the health systems handling it when we've got record numbers of people dieing from the flu every year? I don't know. The question is why are being getting infected with the flu?

We've got immunisation but still so many people die from it. Is it because not enough people get immunised? Of course, the more people that get vaccinised the better, without doubt. But the effectiveness rate hovers somewhere around 50% I believe? The reality is that they in fact change the immunisation shots every year to adapt to the different strains of flu that come up and even then it's not guaranteed to be as effective. The flu is mutating all the time so we need to adapt to it.

Considering that Coronavirus mutates, don't you think we'd go down the same path? That the herd immunity is something that perhaps isn't guaranteed?

As I said though, I'm no expert on this in the slightest but you're comments about me showing a lack of understanding of things surely can't be right, can it? What you've shared actually more supports what I was saying than your views. The points you made also.

Anyway, appreciate the new info. Makes me even more worried about the future as we're all hanging on this 'vaccine' hope when in reality it still won't protect all of us ... :(
You’re right however I stated in my original comment that it’s nearly impossible to be reinfected and you said that you don’t know where I get my information and I was wrong. That’s why I corrected you also there is evidence that reinfection cases could be to the result of wrong diagnosis that patient has recovered and released only to return a positive result when readmitted.
In regards to mutation, if we cannot get immunity to virus then we would continually be in the situation with corona every flu season as we wouldn’t be able to build up the defences to combat any outbreak

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You’re right however I stated in my original comment that it’s nearly impossible to be reinfected and you said that you don’t know where I get my information and I was wrong. That’s why I corrected you also there is evidence that reinfection cases could be to the result of wrong diagnosis that patient has recovered and released only to return a positive result when readmitted.
In regards to mutation, if we cannot get immunity to virus then we would continually be in the situation with corona every flu season as we wouldn’t be able to build up the defences to combat any outbreak
Good post and points taken.

Your last thing about mutation is what worries me as I genuinely think that there isn't a clear answer to the virus. In other words ... I thnk we're fucked

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: stage 3 is immanent. Stage 2 won’t work. We need to stop it now. I am an expert! 80% of people need to quarantine themselves for it to be effective. The virus is weak at 57deg kills it and soap dissolves it. The virus has fatty membrane that attaches and the starts to mitosis.