Why do we always get the weird players?

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't watch that game, basing my judgement on the Dragons game but I agree that Reynolds pre injury would be way better than what we got now..... Just his sheer tenacity would've gotten us a couple of tries when we needed it.
Thankyou Moedogg, I fully agree ,I have posted a youtube video in the last post after yours on " Josh Reynolds "I think it speaks for it's self what we are trying to say, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. ( Great Memories )

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A Reynolds and Lewis halves pairing would be the dream for some :tearsofjoy:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you didn't add 'great' to Wrecks Mess-up!
Mind you, he did represent Australia in League and Union.

He was famous for his tautologies when calling games- "vacant gap", "restart again", "Dejavu all over again".

His greatest comment was after he made a citizen's arrest of a nudist who was on his way to a nude bathing area near Mossop's home. Mossop took offence at their habit of disrobing before they got to the beach. He told the police: "I'm not having men's genitals rammed down my throat".

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember Johnny Rhodes - same era as John Greaves who played centre.
Another quick player was Bernie Lowther - couldn't tackle - loved an intercept and as quick as.

Agree with impact the speed need to be off the mark - as is the case with Damien Cook.

Athletes with that natural speed I think are tending to head to other sports especially soccer - or that was the trend when I was coaching over 25 years ago.
If they have the build, then soccer or AFL is a better fit for them.

I remember when I was working out at the NRL city gym decades ago when I was working for one of the big finance institutions- and they paid my gym fees. I couldn't get anywhere near the weights and heavy work the NRL players could do; but they couldn't keep up with me on things like constant short sprints and star jumps.

I played Aussie Rules as a youngster, and sprinted in the off season. Tried a couple of seasons playing league, where I thought my speed and kicking might be a benefit; but I couldn't handle the heavy hits, or 100+ kilo forwards targeting me on the wing when they surged at the line - I weighed 56 kilos at the time; and speed didn't help when they had me cornered or I had to defend. I did manage to stop one try, when the man mountain tripped over as he trampled me, and knocked himself out when his head hit the hard ground at Punchbowl Oval. I went back to playing Rules after that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mind you, he did represent Australia in League and Union.

He was famous for his tautologies when calling games- "vacant gap", "restart again", "Dejavu all over again".

His greatest comment was after he made a citizen's arrest of a nudist who was on his way to a nude bathing area near Mossop's home. Mossop took offence at their habit of disrobing before they got to the beach. He told the police: "I'm not having men's genitals rammed down my throat".
In a similar vein Rabs when on the Footy Show in the mid 90’s they were going to do a Village People parody and Fatty etc were coaxing him to dress up and be a part of it. Rabs: ‘Well OK, as long as you don’t make me the gay one’. :-).

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
In a similar vein Rabs when on the Footy Show in the mid 90’s they were going to do a Village People parody and Fatty etc were coaxing him to dress up and be a part of it. Rabs: ‘Well OK, as long as you don’t make me the gay one’. :-).
That's as funny as President Bush publicly thanking the Village People for their song "In the Navy", thinking it was all about promoting the all American image of serving the nation.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Since your not sleeping very well maybe you could go to you tube and watch " Josh Reynolds " highlights, it will take you back to when we had a proper competitive team and he was a big part of it you know, he even even played state of origin. -
He had nothing to do with that teams success. We go on to win three GFs in a row with Cronk or Thurston

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That's as funny as President Bush publicly thanking the Village People for their song "In the Navy", thinking it was all about promoting the all American image of serving the nation.
Oh dear. I’ve heard many Bushism’s but never that one. Far from the sharpest knife in the drawer was W...

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Since your not sleeping very well maybe you could go to you tube and watch " Josh Reynolds " highlights, it will take you back to when we had a proper competitive team and he was a big part of it you know, he even even played state of origin. -
Josh Reynolds hahhhaa what a shit player that guy was for us. Remember when he had 1 try assist for us in his last year. Useless player.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they have the build, then soccer or AFL is a better fit for them.

I remember when I was working out at the NRL city gym decades ago when I was working for one of the big finance institutions- and they paid my gym fees. I couldn't get anywhere near the weights and heavy work the NRL players could do; but they couldn't keep up with me on things like constant short sprints and star jumps.

I played Aussie Rules as a youngster, and sprinted in the off season. Tried a couple of seasons playing league, where I thought my speed and kicking might be a benefit; but I couldn't handle the heavy hits, or 100+ kilo forwards targeting me on the wing when they surged at the line - I weighed 56 kilos at the time; and speed didn't help when they had me cornered or I had to defend. I did manage to stop one try, when the man mountain tripped over as he trampled me, and knocked himself out when his head hit the hard ground at Punchbowl Oval. I went back to playing Rules after that.
I played league - but once I got to about 16 17 wasn't aggreesive enough - actually I was shit scared of bigger crazy guys!

Johnny Rhodes was a skinny lanky blond fella.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People rave about how lewis always seems to have “time”. That’s because other teams don’t see a threat, so don’t rush him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Reynolds was good for us when he was paired with Hodkinson. Hodkinson was also better with Reynolds. They complemented each other perfectly. It's very similar to the Cleary and Luai combination of today. A running half with a lot of confidence that will deter from the game plan and a controlling organising half (allows you to play structured and on your feet). When we let go of Hodkinson and replaced him with Mbye/Frawley it's no surprise to me we didn't have any success. There was a void left that was too big and the team didn't work anymore. We really needed a like for like replacement for Hodkinson but we decided to get another runner of the ball (in Frawley's sense he just wasn't good enough full stop). They both played for NSW under us, Hodkinson was halfback when we broke the drought, Reynolds utility. They're the best halves combo I've ever seen play for the club.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
People rave about how lewis always seems to have “time”. That’s because other teams don’t see a threat, so don’t rush him.
I think you are exactly right - seriously

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
We don’t recruit ballers. We recruit players with extreme weaknesses and hope to turn them into gold. Never happens.

Our club’s recruitment and talent scouting has been the worst in the competition from about when Hasler took over. Hasler’s goon was a dud.

We are bog average in the forwards and the positions that matter most.

How weird do Crichton and Okunbur look? Lol

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It was?
Navy and Village people cut a deal to fund their video and song for the rights to use it for recruitment.

The lyrics are clear;
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy, oh
They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was?
Navy and Village people cut a deal to fund their video and song for the rights to use it for recruitment.

The lyrics are clear;
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy, oh
They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit
You'd fit right in

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought about joining the navy but the thought about drowning is scary, and everyone I know who's navy is away from their bitches for up to two years, relationship would suffer.
My Tongan gf would get picked up by everyone at Penrith leagues while I'm gone.