Opinion Wakehams overrated

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I still have hope in wakeham being our long term 7.

Watched roosters and Flanagan at the same age as wakeham, with a much superior side is fucking shit compared to wakeham.

Wakeham has more in his locker. It's only his fifth game, give him time and control of the side

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To early to be over critical of any of the halves. I see the problem being JMK.
The 6 and the 7 should stand on either side of the ruck. The 9 decides who is in the best position and should get the ball.
JMK always looks for Lewis.
I would start with Katoa in the 9. Hes older and more experienced. I also think Cogger and Averillo should be the halves.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone can see it except our coach wakeham is a 7 and needs to be touching the ball more in attack

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To early to be over critical of any of the halves. I see the problem being JMK.
The 6 and the 7 should stand on either side of the ruck. The 9 decides who is in the best position and should get the ball.
JMK always looks for Lewis.
I would start with Katoa in the 9. Hes older and more experienced. I also think Cogger and Averillo should be the halves.
I reckon JMK has been told by Pay to look for Lewis first

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
7 games experience - the overrated is true but not relevant - he has shown enough he can be up there with the best - needs 20 games more to build some experience and consistency

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our packs ok mate. Our halves just need more time to get used to first grade. Averillo is our next big thing
Our forward pack stinks. We are challenging the Titans and Tigers for the weakest pack in the league. We never win the forward battle which makes it difficult for which halves combination is picked

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our forward pack stinks. We are challenging the Titans and Tigers for the weakest pack in the league. We never win the forward battle which makes it difficult for which halves combination is picked
We kept Parramatta pretty quiet in the forwards. They didn't make line breaks or have much second phase play. They only got into our red zone through penalties. We just didn't capitalise on it. Perhaps we'd have been more evenly matched against the cowboys if we hadn't dropped the ball 17 times and given them a huge amount of extra posession. Hopefully we'll see the whole team get their act together sooner than later if the season isn't cancelled.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We kept Parramatta pretty quiet in the forwards. They didn't make line breaks or have much second phase play. They only got into our red zone through penalties. We just didn't capitalise on it. Perhaps we'd have been more evenly matched against the cowboys if we hadn't dropped the ball 17 times and given them a huge amount of extra posession. Hopefully we'll see the whole team get their act together sooner than later if the season isn't cancelled.
Losing our most dynamic forward CHN to off field nonsense hasn’t helped. The game against Wests Tigers will show where we are at and you can make new excuses if we lose. It’s frustrating that since 2016 we just have struggled to score points consistently, it’s like we can’t get out of our Desball rut

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Losing our most dynamic forward CHN to off field nonsense hasn’t helped. The game against Wests Tigers will show where we are at and you can make new excuses if we lose. It’s frustrating that since 2016 we just have struggled to score points consistently, it’s like we can’t get out of our Desball rut
I thought that we were quite good in general against Parra but very sub standard against the cowboys
I’m not sure about using the tigers as a benchmark to gauge our progress
We should be aiming a bit higher and will be a bitter start to our season if no wins after 3 weeks

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that we were quite good in general against Parra but very sub standard against the cowboys
I’m not sure about using the tigers as a benchmark to gauge our progress
We should be aiming a bit higher and will be a bitter start to our season if no wins after 3 weeks
My original point was our pack was close to the Tigers and Titans. If we get dominated next week then what excuse will there be?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pointing out that dropped ball and a massive glut of posession to our opponents has reduced our ability to match them isn't making excuses. Statistically speaking the cowboys had just shy of 60% posession (57%). Dividing the total metres run by both teams by 100 and multiplying it by the percentage of posession actually shows that we closely matched their metres made when we had the ball. 57% of running metres through the game was 1979m they only made 1920 metres so statistically we made more metres by percentage of time with the ball. We shot ourselves in the foot with dropped ball. I think if the handling had been better we'd have come out on top.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My original point was our pack was close to the Tigers and Titans. If we get dominated next week then what excuse will there be?
Yeah you’re right there are no excuses
We need to see structures and results

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pointing out that dropped ball and a massive glut of posession to our opponents has reduced our ability to match them isn't making excuses. Statistically speaking the cowboys had just shy of 60% posession (57%). Dividing the total metres run by both teams by 100 and multiplying it by the percentage of posession actually shows that we closely matched their metres made when we had the ball. 57% of running metres through the game was 1979m they only made 1920 metres so statistically we made more metres by percentage of time with the ball. We shot ourselves in the foot with dropped ball. I think if the handling had been better we'd have come out on top.
Winning the forward battle usually leads to more time and space for our playmakers and field position. The fact that we dropped lots of ball isn’t just on the forward pack but to say they did well is just false.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Winning the forward battle usually leads to more time and space for our playmakers and field position. The fact that we dropped lots of ball isn’t just on the forward pack but to say they did well is just false.
Your first point is true. It's a simple fact that most people that follow the game know. I don't think it actually proves your point here though.

Given that we had 17% less posession and 6 fewer offloads, we did well to still be making the same kind of yardage when we had the ball. So in my opinion they were doing well in terms of effort, not so much in terms of execution. I'm not going to change your opinion on this and you won't change mine. I just think that our pack isn't the reason we lost nor are they the weak link you'd like to paint them as.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Crying because he made a couple of errors. One of those errors came from a Lewis hospital pass.
I’m over Lewis and his forced passes caused a few errors in that game.
Wakeham is a more complete half then Lewis will ever be.
Averillo is the perfect running 5/8.
Wakeham and averillo need to be our halves if we want to improve this year.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your first point is true. It's a simple fact that most people that follow the game know. I don't think it actually proves your point here though.

Given that we had 17% less posession and 6 fewer offloads, we did well to still be making the same kind of yardage when we had the ball. So in my opinion they were doing well in terms of effort, not so much in terms of execution. I'm not going to change your opinion on this and you won't change mine. I just think that our pack isn't the reason we lost nor are they the weak link you'd like to paint them as.
Thanks for having a civilised debate without it devolving to name calling

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for having a civilised debate without it devolving to name calling
Likewise. It's pretty useless posting here if you can't respect the opinions of others even if you disagree. It frustrates me sometimes seeing 12 pages of the same couple of opinions being bandied back and forth.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watching the reply doggies v cowboys, another game that was there for us to win quite Easily really... to many mistakes form our forwards and backs, the change was significant when Averillo came on with wakeham .. round 1- 6 point loss, round 2-8 point loss, And we played some pretty bog average footy.

we really are not that far off some back to back wins, if we can sort our handling errors out.. an create more offloads/ball movement, and stay away from tolman on the bloody 4th tackle.