Why do we always get the weird players?

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: why do get weird supporters asking weird questions . Sometime when I read the comments on the site I want to get a wheely bin and smash my head on it

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honourable Mentions from the class of 2008
Jarrad Hickey
Tim Winitana
Gary Warburton
Kane Cleal
What short memories you all have, I'm really surprised no one has given an honorable mention to the king of them all " Michael Lichaa "

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think you might be disappointed here. The best halves that are off contract this year are Benji and Foran. The best hookers are Cam Smith and Jake Friend. I highly doubt that our spine will be upgraded with players who are off contract this year. Hopefully there will be disgruntled players looking for an opportunity who get released early
We'll there was but we let another one slip away - Bulldog no1 son ( Josh Reynolds ) I know I will cop a lot of slack for this comment but stop & think for a moment could he be any worse that what we have in our spine at the moment.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We'll there was but we let another one slip away - Bulldog no1 son ( Josh Reynolds ) I know I will cop a lot of slack for this comment but stop & think for a moment could he be any worse that what we have in our spine at the moment.
Did you watch the Tigers Dragons game last week? He was terrible, same old crab runs across the defensive line desperately looking for a gap and got smashed by Sims.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the 70s early 80s Gary Hughes was the slowest five eight in the comp but he was extremely clever with ball - unfortunately Lewis is not good with the ball.
The late Rex Mossop said Hughes was "fast between the ears", and that's where it counts.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The late Rex Mossop said Hughes was "fast between the ears", and that's where it counts.
Extremely clever ball player - not cricising him for his lack of pace - more saying that the "speed between the ears" made up for it in spades. Genuine footy IQ.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Extremely clever ball player - not cricising him for his lack of pace - more saying that the "speed between the ears" made up for it in spades. Genuine footy IQ.
Sorry if you thought I was correcting you - I just wanted to support your comment. Speed alone has very little impact if the team can't make use of it.
We had a real speedster in Johnny Rhodes, way before before most Kennelers were born. He was a winger who would score if you gave him a clear run to the line - as was Barba. Guys like that bring in the fans, and give them something to get excited about. Just look at highlights of Barba's tries, and you can't help but get to your feet.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry if you thought I was correcting you - I just wanted to support your comment. Speed alone has very little impact if the team can't make use of it.
We had a real speedster in Johnny Rhodes, way before before most Kennelers were born. He was a winger who would score if you gave him a clear run to the line - as was Barba. Guys like that bring in the fans, and give them something to get excited about. Just look at highlights of Barba's tries, and you can't help but get to your feet.
I remember Johnny Rhodes - same era as John Greaves who played centre.
Another quick player was Bernie Lowther - couldn't tackle - loved an intercept and as quick as.

Agree with impact the speed need to be off the mark - as is the case with Damien Cook.

Athletes with that natural speed I think are tending to head to other sports especially soccer - or that was the trend when I was coaching over 25 years ago.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We’ve got our quota of underside plodders
mate you're telling me.

we need more big impactful players. Recruitment need to be on the look out for the next Fifitas and Haases.

This love affair with plodders started at the back end of Folkes' stint. Blokes like Gary Warburton and so on. it was almost as if the doggies liked you more, the less metres you make. as long as you tried hard. I don't doubt these plodders try hard, but they just aren't effective. I hope we get a coach that implements modern footy.. big boppers at 8, 10, 11,12 and 13. Emphasis on class in the spine. Some more big boppers with pace in the outside backs. That is the formula for success in modern footy. Pay is trying to wind the clock back to the late eighties and early nineties. He hasn't learned much from his time with Sticky. Sticky picks big boys all over the park.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
big and agile with a strong ticker - we have had some big boppers who turned into duds - Kite, Hickey, Francis T, Perret, - Canberra hve moved to an emphasis on agile players

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: why do get weird supporters asking weird questions . Sometime when I read the comments on the site I want to get a wheely bin and smash my head on it
You are a weird person for not understanding the post.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cannot believe I forgot about Reynolds, I legitimately blocked him out of my brain using hours and hours of meditation like a Vietnam war veteran. I don't think i will sleep for weeks now you have reminded me of the man who would run to his centre and hand him the ball

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honourable Mentions from the class of 2008
Jarrad Hickey
Tim Winitana
Gary Warburton
Kane Cleal
Kane Cleal was starting to become a good forward until he got badly injured, can't remember what injury but he had to quit footy.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you watch the Tigers Dragons game last week? He was terrible, same old crab runs across the defensive line desperately looking for a gap and got smashed by Sims.
NO I didn't see the Tigers, Dragons last week but I did see the Tigers, Knights game yesterday and I thought Reynolds had a pretty good game in a losing side, I still think he would have been pretty good pairing with Foran in the halves and I say again, Better than the options we've had recently

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NO I didn't see the Tigers, Dragons last week but I did see the Tigers, Knights game yesterday and I thought Reynolds had a pretty good game in a losing side, I still think he would have been pretty good pairing with Foran in the halves and I say again, Better than the options we've had recently
Didn't watch that game, basing my judgement on the Dragons game but I agree that Reynolds pre injury would be way better than what we got now..... Just his sheer tenacity would've gotten us a couple of tries when we needed it.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cannot believe I forgot about Reynolds, I legitimately blocked him out of my brain using hours and hours of meditation like a Vietnam war veteran. I don't think i will sleep for weeks now you have reminded me of the man who would run to his centre and hand him the ball
Since your not sleeping very well maybe you could go to you tube and watch " Josh Reynolds " highlights, it will take you back to when we had a proper competitive team and he was a big part of it you know, he even even played state of origin. -