Does Pay need to be supporting with training?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Probably right. But just who do you pick? The reggies players are just not first grade ready.
They would not be an improvement on what we are playing.
Only change I would make is to replace Wakeham with Averillo.
You'd drop Wakeham over Lewis? Interesting. I'm sure @Sancho2020 would definitely disagree with you there ;)

People have mentioned though. Having players play in their best positions. Remis isn't working at centre (though don't imagine he's got much service). Same can be said abotu DWZ at fullback. Put them in their strongest positions. Have Cogger in instead of Lewis and I think we'd be more competitive.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Maybe the club should hit up Cooper Cronk as an assistant coach and unlock that fukin mind of his.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We are lacking what other teams have, it’s not rocket science.!!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay’s support staff is very mediocre and a experienced assistant like Mick Potter or Neil Henry would have really benefited him. Georgallis and Antonelli hasn’t impressed as assistants and Steve James hasn’t improved the skills of players at all. So many of players struggle with basics of the games.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay’s support staff is very mediocre and a experienced assistant like Mick Potter or Neil Henry would have really benefited him. Georgallis and Antonelli hasn’t impressed as assistants and Steve James hasn’t improved the skills of players at all. So many of players struggle with basics of the games.
bruh that Steve James guy.... wtf.... he hasn’t done shit we might of even regressed. That bloke is a myth

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the club has to be fair dinkum in wanting change and wanting to build a competitive team, they could start by getting a decent hooker halves and fullback, fill those positions with the best available for those positions, not resign foran and remove mediocre players like jmk lewis

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally don't like coaches who play players out of there preferred positions.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay is an assistant coach not a head coach ,hes great for team morale etc but clueless with the right team selections or doing what a head coach is meant to do get the best out of his players,all ive heard is excuses for 2 years from the pay lovers,i have nothing against pay and would love him to do well but hes just not cut out for the role,I actually think we do have some really good young talent that a good coach would get the best out of.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love how many excuses people continually make for Pay. You talk about a lack of talent.. He's recruited two thirds of this squad himself! We have still talent within the squad, it's just not utilised properly.

He's not suitable to be a head coach. He has no idea of how to structure or improve a team in attack. He's best suited to being a good defensive assistant coach moving forward.

How can any coach that has led a team to statistically the worst attack in the comp the last two seasons, and who has a career win percentage south of 35% in 50 plus games still be deemed worthy by some to coach us in 2021 with all of that cap space?

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does anybody no how old Rip Taylor is has a pretty impressive coaching record 25 grand finals with 12 wins . Although no nrl coaching jobs ????

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Then we'll say 2022. Then 2023. It'll just keep going and going.

In my mind the players are good enough to be playing better. Thought that opening round our defence was spot on apart from one unlucky bounce that went to them for their try. We can't keep putting our heads in the sand and saying it'll be better next year. We need to be active.

Clearly there aren't better options out there than Pay. So how can we improve the backroom staff to get more out of this playing roster?
No. It doesn't keep going on and on.
The board know that beyond 2021 They are out of excuses.

They were honest and they know what's expected.

No more excuses after 2021.

If we are not a competing top 4 team by 2022, then we can complain and call for heads till the cows come home.

Till then, we have what we were told we would have.
No amount of complaining will help.

So enjoy the ride for now.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe the club should hit up Cooper Cronk as an assistant coach and unlock that fukin mind of his.
Cronk is still being paid the $million that wasn’t included in the Chooks salary cap for the previous 2 years. Plus he still has his Harvard education to be paid for. There’ll for sure be a non competition clause in place in his post playing contract.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I love how many excuses people continually make for Pay. You talk about a lack of talent.. He's recruited two thirds of this squad himself!
Measuring the 2/3rds by the number of players is totally misleading because we didn’t have 2/3rds of the cap space. We have added/resigned 2/3rds of the players with less than 1/3rd of the cap. The NRL requires us to have 30 players, so it’s not like we can have a few less and then spread the cap over fewer players.

Go Dogs

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very simple do not resign any players off contract put them on notice start recruiting players sends the message to current squad.... or they will end up like Michael lichaa can’t even get a start for the warriors ffs

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay spent an age working with Bellamy and Stuart and endless coaching roles came up. No one else thought he was suitable, in fact I can't remember his name even being put out there for roles. Dymock is in the same boat. As other have said Pay has something to contribute to league, just not as a head coach.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why we are still taking sub standard hit ups from tackle 3 to 5 with guys like toleman constantly
It also doesn’t matter what part of the field we are on either,our forwards are not destructive runners like Hass nor do they look to offload for second phase occasionally
The squad has come back from a full off season of training to this
Pressure will mount on everybody especially Dean if things don’t get better soon.
This is a result driven industry.
The forwards are conditioned to expect nobody in support when they take a hit up. Our backs have no intuition, and wait for instructions.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay isn't responsible for the basic errors we dished out last game. Professionals should be able to catch and pass the football no matter who is coach.