Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a farce. Every other sporting league has shut down. No other civilians can travel interstate. Barely anyone is advised to leave their house and go to a cafe with 6 other people in it let alone bleed and sweat and spit all over each other in tackles in a game of Rugby League.

And then these players can still go back home to their families and spread shit even further. Or vice versa. But no one else in Australia can? Makes sense!

I don't believe all of this Corona shit is worth shutting the world down over but seeing as everyone else is forced to how is the NRL even allowed to continue? Talk about being transparent that it's all about money!

I hope the NRL dies because of this so we can finally have a professional organisation running this sport.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Peter V’landys vows: NRL season will continue despite AFL bombshell
Peter V’landys has vowed that the NRL will play on and not follow the lead set by the AFL to shut down the game unless they are forced to.

In the wake of the AFL’s bombshell decision to postpone its season on Sunday afternoon, the Australian Rugby League Commission chairman told The Daily Telegraph that the NRL had not changed its stance.

V’landys was aware of the AFL’s move but said the NRL was in a better position to push forward because it had already implemented chartered flights to transport every team.

It is understood a meeting of the national cabinet on Sunday night will draft legislation to prevent all interstate travel that is deemed non-essential.

But this is also expected to include wiggle room for the individual state premiers to allow sports to continue and it will be judged on a case-to-case basis.

“I honestly don’t know (if this could change),” V’landys said, “it is moving so fast.

“We have said from day one that we will act in accordance with the medical health officers and the biosecurity experts.

“It is much harder for the AFL to be fair to them because they have got teams in Queensland, NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia.

“So all these travel restrictions are certainly going to affect them.

“We are a little bit different.

“If the health authorities allow it we will be still playing.

“Unless the chief medical officers say otherwise.”

V’landys thinks sporting teams will be able to travel interstate as long as they have proper health standards in place.

V’landys said there was no plan as yet to get all NRL teams to play out of one state.

“Not at this stage because while we can still have chartered planes to take them around and the states allow us like South Australia has there is no difference,” V’landys said.

Earlier, V’landys said he had not received any confirmation from the government that the NRL season would be suspended immediately and said that the decision to implement private flights for all teams could save the game.

“We are just checking at the moment to see what this non-essential travel means but first off we charter our planes and secondly it is work travel,” V’landys said.

“The Prime Minister did say travel for work was still ok.

“We are going to investigate and see what it all means but I am not overly panicking at the moment because there is not enough detail.

“We have to look at all contingencies and I have to wait until tonight because there could be more (updates) because national cabinet is meeting tonight.

“It just highlights what I said last Sunday.

“We have to plan for every contingency and what we are doing today we might not be doing tomorrow. Decisions we make today will probably change tomorrow.”

The NRL has already locked out all non-essential staff from games and have introduced strict self-isolation guidelines.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/c3abe1ad6b1759ea1c7c13b9400e398f
Vlandys for ceo tbh, he’s showing good leadership by not backing down, anyone else would be doing the same to protect their business etc

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with his point that we didn't have stars though and we had many workmanlike players that year when Folkes took over similar to now.

We also had some average players that year like Duncan MaCrae, Gavin Lester, Steven Hughes, Corey Hughes at halfback (was way more effective at hooker later on) and so on..

Matt Ryan was also fairly average and didn't have a long career (I remember one year where he killed it and was average after that) while aside from Halligans goal kicking and finishing in the corner, he offered nothing else as a winger and often looked like a 70 year old out there, especially when he had to turn and chase!

I remember Folkes dropping Gillies to reserves that year while he was our captain which was a huge move and ended up sparking our finals run in the second half of the season..

But I agree with you in that we don't have the champion players now that we did then in Dalton, Britt, Polly and Pricey.

Folkes deserves a tonne of credit for taking an average roster with limited talent to a GF in his first season, especially as we were in the bottom half of the table til the last 6 or so weeks of the season. He was twenty times the coach Pay will ever be. RIP Folkesy.
Your argument fell apart when you said Matt Ryan was average and didn't have a long career. He was great and was with us 8 years.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Vlandys for ceo tbh, he’s showing good leadership by not backing down, anyone else would be doing the same to protect their business etc
It’s V’landys job to be doing to best for NRL and that’s keeping the comp going. Greenberg and Beattie would have buckled at the first bit of pressure.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Lest be honest. NRL should shut down given the contact, but the selfish side of me wants to watch something these times.
Also I like the stats sides of things. Crokers run to catch Smith in points. Smith getting 450 games. That type of thang. Nasheed.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Your argument fell apart when you said Matt Ryan was average and didn't have a long career. He was great and was with us 8 years.
I said aside from one or two good years. Don't get me wrong he was a solid player and was underrated at the time but my point was he wasn't a gun outside back or anything and our team wasn't brimming with rep talent.

He may have played 8 seasons but was in and out of FG during that time. As evidenced by the fact that he only played 95 games with us in 8 seasons!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
A “lockdown” is basically be telling the NRL they must stop playing.
If a lockdown is implemented the NRL will have to suspend the competition. Can’t see how the NRL can get around a lockdown, same for every other code.
The only reason the NRL don’t want to suspend games is because they will be financially screwed if games aren’t played.
The game has been mismanaged for so many years that the game has now resorted to surviving on a game by game basis. Pathetic management.
It's good tbh, with the money invested in stadiums in NSW and QLD recently they won't lay dormant...thus rugby league will always survive imo. Just will have to sit back and watch some clubs fold, given the shit our club has copped I'll sit back and enjoy knowing seeing other clubs struggle knowing we are a lock for a spot in a potential new league.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I said aside from one or two good years. Don't get me wrong he was a solid player and was underrated at the time but my point was he wasn't a gun outside back or anything and our team wasn't brimming with rep talent.

He may have played 8 seasons but was in and out of FG during that time. As evidenced by the fact that he only played 95 games with us in 8 seasons!
To be honest that stat surprised me too. He rarely played more than half a season. That's not my memory at all. I don't understand why people try and erase his name from the record books though.

I don't think he played origin but I gayaranted he was talked about as a contender for a couple of years there. Probably the years you are referring too.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because it’s for the people and they want to carry on giving us entertainment every week. And I think that’s awesome. Life with no sport would be worse than the panic of covid19 :tonguewink:
Life without sport .....God forbid but think of the increase in birth rates :tonguewink:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be honest that stat surprised me too. He rarely played more than half a season. That's not my memory at all. I don't understand why people try and erase his name from the record books though.

I don't think he played origin but I gayaranted he was talked about as a contender for a couple of years there. Probably the years you are referring too.
That's all I was saying! To be honest he was one of my favourites when he had a consistent role but that was only between 96 and 98 or so.

To be fair he did have Timu and McCracken in front of him for a while. Then Steven Hughes played a while in the centres.. Even Shane Martenee. I'm pretty sure Talau debuted in 98 and was a huge addition to the squad.. And then not long after we signed Tonga from Parra and that was the end of Ryan..

I'm glad we could see eye to eye Nasheed! ;)

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m by no way saying Folkes had a star studded team but he had a rock solid front row, hooker and half. We would kill for that now. The strange thing is Folkes got more out of the 98 side then he did with the 2003 and 2006 sides.

I rated Mat Ryan I thought he was decent quality centre who played close to 10
years of NRL.
Matt Ryan also played for NSW and Australia, was a champion player

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s V’landys job to be doing to best for NRL and that’s keeping the comp going. Greenberg and Beattie would have buckled at the first bit of pressure.
Truer words have not been said, if it was up to Greenturd the NRL would be playing tag footy with rest periods being taken every 10 minutes.

#BringBackTheBiff

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Matt Ryan also played for NSW and Australia, was a champion player
When? Are we talking about Tri Series? Just checked.. Didn't realise he played in it. He didn't play for Australia though..

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
However the team wasn’t the greatest but were well coached, which turned average players to great first graders.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's all I was saying! To be honest he was one of my favourites when he had a consistent role but that was only between 96 and 98 or so.

To be fair he did have Timu and McCracken in front of him for a while. Then Steven Hughes played a while in the centres.. Even Shane Martenee. I'm pretty sure Talau debuted in 98 and was a huge addition to the squad.. And then not long after we signed Tonga from Parra and that was the end of Ryan..

I'm glad we could see eye to eye Nasheed! ;)
Matt Ryan has a fair few injury plagued seasons, that’s why he retired early.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This season didn’t have to be a write off though, if the club got rid of him last season, we are just wasting so much valuable time for no reason
If they #sackpay now, the season doesn’t have to be a write off.

Status
Not open for further replies.