Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Look you made a point about Bennetts age, assume questioning his desire passion etc, the guy is a workaholic and there has been no information forthcoming about retirement.
Of course your same argument can be used against Lynn, cannot have it both ways.
Will Bennett be a good fit for the dogs? What have we got to lose? Although would keep pay in some capacity as i like the guy.
Drawing a bit of a long bow there Teddy :-).
I didn't question a thing about Wayne's 'desire', simply said that he'll be 72 by the time his Wabbits contract is finished and maybe that's a cue to retirement. Maybe it's not.
There's no 'both ways' and I'm really not sure where you're going with this - just because Lynne is in her 60's? Odd.
Wayne might wish to work in 2022 and good luck to him if he does. Personally I'd suggest if anywhere it would be a second Brisbane team if they are admitted, but unlikely that's 2022.
Maybe he could offer the Dogs something, maybe not - worth an enquiry maybe.
The one thing we do agree on is I'd like Pay to stick around in some capacity - I think he's good for the club - even if that's not the head coach role. Hard to see that though, similar to Kevin Moore. Very few people stick around if they view themselves as having been demoted.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend mate.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That comparison is meaningless, Canberra don’t have a salary cap problem, with hugely back ended contracts forcing us to shed players. Not only couldn’t we recruit we had to move on the higher paid players to just get to Cap compliance. WKIM that Stuart has had 18 years coaching and won one premiership, that being in his first year. Last year was his 6th year at Canberra having missed the finals 4 times. Hardly a reasonable comparison on any grounds.

Go Dogs
Let’s see who we moved on here, and Klem left because of his wife, so not moved on by us.

Sharon Woods - didn’t run hard when playing for the dogs and worth no where near what we were paying him.

Moses Mbye - Not sure what the Tigers see in him, he is not a great player, but is a good talker.

Reece Martin - Hot and cold player, but could Kick a ball.

Josh Morris - he chose to move on, was offered a contract

Brett Morris - gun player but injury prone, we paid way too much for him.

Last edited:

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drawing a bit of a long bow there Teddy :-).
I didn't question a thing about Wayne's 'desire', simply said that he'll be 72 by the time his Wabbits contract is finished and maybe that's a cue to retirement. Maybe it's not.
There's no 'both ways' and I'm really not sure where you're going with this - just because Lynne is in her 60's? Odd.
Wayne might wish to work in 2022 and good luck to him if he does. Personally I'd suggest if anywhere it would be a second Brisbane team if they are admitted, but unlikely that's 2022.
Maybe he could offer the Dogs something, maybe not - worth an enquiry maybe.
The one thing we do agree on is I'd like Pay to stick around in some capacity - I think he's good for the club - even if that's not the head coach role. Hard to see that though, similar to Kevin Moore. Very few people stick around if they view themselves as having been demoted.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend mate.
Na man sack him and hope the door doesn’t hit his ass on the way out. He is a fraud and the club needs to learn from this mistake. They should have hired him as the Holden Cup coach and watch his decision making before promoted him.

If they stuck to Bullfrogs mentality we would have had Holbrook coaching for the past few years. Instead they went with Moore, Des and now Pay.

Like I said previously ALL of our successful coaches since CA took our lower grade teams too and won grand finals.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only gave the disagree to the good player manager part as the players do not like his selections,game plans etc but have to abide by what the coach wants. The past two seasons the team has come home with a wet sail so to speak and then started like a wet blanket purely because of Pays shuffling in the off season.
The rest of your post wholly agree with.
I had to do likewise (disagree) because the evidence does not support your theory.

The first thing to suffer when players are disgruntled with the coach, is defence...

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You wonder what Pay actually learnt from working with Ricky Stewart. Doesn't coach anything like Ricky. Look at the pack Ricky has assembled at Canberra. Not all of them were big money players when they broke through into first grade. They have got a formidable pack. We don't. What did Pay learn from Ricky?

I still maintain the cap is absolutely no excuse. You've got to go out and find new talent. You've got to maximise your squad and make the most of it. You don't keep picking blokes who aren't performing.

Best course is to let him go now. Doesn't matter who replaces him as caretaker because they will likely be better than Pay. If you get someone in now, you will get changes in team selections and playing a different style. We would probably improve overnight with a change.
Difference is they have Peter Mulholand as their recruitment manager and we don't.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s see who we moved on here, and Klem left because of his wife, so not moved on by us.
Sharon Woods - didn’t run hard when playing for the dogs and worth no where near what we were paying him.
Moses Mbye - Not sure what the Tigers see in him, he is not a great player, but is a good talker.
Reece Martin - Hot and cold player, but could Kick a ball.
Josh Morris - he chose to move on, was offered a contract
Brett Morris - gun player but injury prone, we paid way too much for him.
You left out, James Graham moved on to fit Woods (smart move, not) and Josh Reynolds.

Go Dogs

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When Steve Folkes took over we had no ones. We fought to the grand final, through the amazing Parra game were we came back against Pay and other Ex Bulldogs.
A GF with no ones. Then he built from there. Pay has shown us nothing. NOTHING. He needs to go. I don't care if we get Toovey

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
When Steve Folkes took over we had no ones. We fought to the grand final, through the amazing Parra game were we came back against Pay and other Ex Bulldogs.
A GF with no ones. Then he built from there. Pay has shown us nothing. NOTHING. He needs to go. I don't care if we get Toovey
Folkes had a core of experienced rep standard players in Price, Britt, Hetherington and Polly who should have played rep football. He also had the like of Silva, Matt Ryan and Halligan. That’s a hell of a lot better then what we have a minute.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You left out, James Graham moved on to fit Woods (smart move, not) and Josh Reynolds.

Go Dogs
Hahahaha how could l forget Graham, although that was before we all knew how messy the salary cap was. Josh Reynolds however left for the $$$$$$

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree mate except Toovey, please don’t say that again

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And that was the restored in Rd 2 , 2019 and Rd 2 , 2018. We’ve seen how that’s worked out for us. Pay has been afforded an extended “ honeymoon” period .
Rd 1 we played okay, lost by 6 and round 2 we played horribly and lost by 6, the cowboys really played well though
I know what you're saying with Pay though, it will probably be his final season if the team doesnt improve

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rd 1 we played okay, lost by 6 and round 2 we played horribly and lost by 6, the cowboys really played well though
I know what you're saying with Pay though, it will probably be his final season if the team doesnt improve
Round 1 we played bog average, Eels played out of time in attack which made our D look better.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Folkes had a core of experienced rep standard players in Price, Britt, Hetherington and Polly who should have played rep football. He also had the like of Silva, Matt Ryan and Halligan. That’s a hell of a lot better then what we have a minute.
I agree with his point that we didn't have stars though and we had many workmanlike players that year when Folkes took over similar to now.

We also had some average players that year like Duncan MaCrae, Gavin Lester, Steven Hughes, Corey Hughes at halfback (was way more effective at hooker later on) and so on..

Matt Ryan was also fairly average and didn't have a long career (I remember one year where he killed it and was average after that) while aside from Halligans goal kicking and finishing in the corner, he offered nothing else as a winger and often looked like a 70 year old out there, especially when he had to turn and chase!

I remember Folkes dropping Gillies to reserves that year while he was our captain which was a huge move and ended up sparking our finals run in the second half of the season..

But I agree with you in that we don't have the champion players now that we did then in Dalton, Britt, Polly and Pricey.

Folkes deserves a tonne of credit for taking an average roster with limited talent to a GF in his first season, especially as we were in the bottom half of the table til the last 6 or so weeks of the season. He was twenty times the coach Pay will ever be. RIP Folkesy.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with his point that we didn't have stars though and we had many workmanlike players that year when Folkes took over similar to now.

We also had some average players that year like Duncan MaCrae, Gavin Lester, Steven Hughes, Corey Hughes at halfback (was way more effective at hooker later on) and so on..

Matt Ryan was also fairly average and didn't have a long career (I remember one year where he killed it and was average after that) while aside from Halligans goal kicking and finishing in the corner, he offered nothing else as a winger and often looked like a 70 year old out there, especially when he had to turn and chase!

I remember Folkes dropping Gillies to reserves that year while he was our captain which was a huge move and ended up sparking our finals run in the second half of the season..

But I agree with you in that we don't have the champion players now that we did then in Dalton, Britt, Polly and Pricey.

Folkes deserves a tonne of credit for taking an average roster with limited talent to a GF in his first season, especially as we were in the bottom half of the table til the last 6 or so weeks of the season. He was twenty times the coach Pay will ever be. RIP Folkesy.
I’m by no way saying Folkes had a star studded team but he had a rock solid front row, hooker and half. We would kill for that now. The strange thing is Folkes got more out of the 98 side then he did with the 2003 and 2006 sides.

I rated Mat Ryan I thought he was decent quality centre who played close to 10
years of NRL.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m by no way saying Folkes had a star studded team but he had a rock solid front row, hooker and half. We would kill for that now. The strange thing is Folkes got more out of the 98 side then he did with the 2003 and 2006 sides.

years of NRL.
I rated Matt Ryan too

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

years of NRL.
Yeah in his later seasons we had way more talent that were still good enough to win a premiership but we had some shocking finals defeats during that time. The Semi against Cronulla at the SFS where we lost 52-10 or something was one of the most horrendous displays in a final you could see. Unfortunately I was there to witness it! I stayed til the bitter end too and it kept getting worse..

If it weren't for the salary cap drama, we would have won three premiership minimum during the 2000's.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah in his later seasons we had way more talent that were still good enough to win a premiership but we had some shocking finals defeats during that time. The Semi against Cronulla at the SFS where we lost 52-10 or something was one of the most horrendous displays in a final you could see. Unfortunately I was there to witness it! I stayed til the bitter end too and it kept getting worse..

If it weren't for the salary cap drama, we would have won three premiership minimum during the 2000's.
We had a tonne of injuries for that semi. Anasta was a huge out after the season we had. I was there too. The 2006 season is the biggest missed opportunity of them all we should have won that year in a canter we were easily the best side.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Halligan was in the side because he was a dead set certainty to kick conversions from everywhere. Will always remember the sideline conversion of Willie Talau's try vs parra.

Status
Not open for further replies.