Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently he wants to still coach and demitriou is ready to go at bunnies
That's that then.

sigh him for two years If Pay doesn't come good midway through 2021. Just Let him recruit.

just enough time for him to sail in retirement.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay and most of the plodders which is about 80% of our top 30 should be turfed out.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate at 72 he should fit in well then.
Wayne will be 72 in 2022.
Pretty sure he’s lining himself up for retirement in seeing out his deal with the Wabbits. I can’t see him continuing after that but anything is possible...

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the board was always going to give him untill the end of 2021 when we have this "War Chest" to spend.

If we manage to sign a few proven players in key positions and still fail to make the finals, then Pay should be gone. If we do the above but make the finals then I see the board resigning Pay.

I think Pay needs to go this year as had shown multiple times how out of his depth he is. He constantly sticks with plodders when everyone else can see the team that needs to be picked it or atleast trialled and tested.

I'm sure a coach has a huge bearing on future signings and if had the choice between Pay and Bellamy for example...

As to who would replace him, no idea.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay and most of the plodders which is about 80% of our top 30 should be turfed out.
I actually think we have lots of promising players but pay isn’t getting the best out of them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Look at the mess Wayne has made at Souths... defenitely not interested in having him here.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate at 72 he should fit in well then.
Not sure what you’re getting at there Teddy but you do sound a little bit ouchy. Everything OK? Just be grateful we didn’t sign your beloved Latrell considering the wubbish he’s dishing up at the Wabbits :-).

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not sure what you’re getting at there Teddy but you do sound a little bit ouchy. Everything OK? Just be grateful we didn’t sign your beloved Latrell considering the wubbish he’s dishing up at the Wabbits :-).
Not directing this at Big Ted but there’s a lot of people looking like my avatar right now after wanting to sign Latrell on a million a year (despite us not having that money free). Unfit, disinterested and having mental health issues. I didn’t need a crystal ball to predict that one did I?

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The board need to decide who is going to be our coach for next year before the middle of the year.
It will be hard to attract players to our club next year if there is uncertainty who the coach is going to be.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wonder what Pay actually learnt from working with Ricky Stewart. Doesn't coach anything like Ricky. Look at the pack Ricky has assembled at Canberra. Not all of them were big money players when they broke through into first grade. They have got a formidable pack. We don't. What did Pay learn from Ricky?

I still maintain the cap is absolutely no excuse. You've got to go out and find new talent. You've got to maximise your squad and make the most of it. You don't keep picking blokes who aren't performing.

Best course is to let him go now. Doesn't matter who replaces him as caretaker because they will likely be better than Pay. If you get someone in now, you will get changes in team selections and playing a different style. We would probably improve overnight with a change.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
20 million people and 99.99% of the population cant source a 10 pack of Sorbent, and you expect us to nab a Phil Jackson/Pep Guardiola of Rugby League?
Personally I would of went with jurgen klopp in your analogy, but never mind, carry on... :tearsofjoy:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick to point mate.
Latrell will settle down, there is always a transition period,he is a star, i mean he hasn't gone out and screwed schools girls now has he and brought the souths football club to its knees and lost a 2m sponsorship .. .

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Stick to point mate.
Latrell will settle down, there is always a transition period,he is a star, i mean he hasn't gone out and screwed schools girls now has he and brought the souths football club to its knees and lost a 2m sponsorship .. .
Jury is out on Latrell but he certainly ain’t a fullback and I’m very glad we didn’t cave to that (or at all). You’ll never catch me defending the Port Macquarie muppets mate so no need to go there. Back to the point - 72 year old Wayne fitting in - was that a crack at Lynne or thinking old school or something? Curious...

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I can gather so far, pay seems to be a good player manager, the players want to play for him, and it's evident that the effort is mostly there.. however in terms of team selections bench rotation and games strategy, pay coaching is indefensible..

I think the perfect solution would be to keep pay on as a people manager, get someone in with at least half a brain that can deal with the rest.. I don't care who, even the local town drunk will do..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You wonder what Pay actually learnt from working with Ricky Stewart. Doesn't coach anything like Ricky. Look at the pack Ricky has assembled at Canberra. Not all of them were big money players when they broke through into first grade. They have got a formidable pack. We don't. What did Pay learn from Ricky?

I still maintain the cap is absolutely no excuse. You've got to go out and find new talent. You've got to maximise your squad and make the most of it. You don't keep picking blokes who aren't performing.

Best course is to let him go now. Doesn't matter who replaces him as caretaker because they will likely be better than Pay. If you get someone in now, you will get changes in team selections and playing a different style. We would probably improve overnight with a change.
That comparison is meaningless, Canberra don’t have a salary cap problem, with hugely back ended contracts forcing us to shed players. Not only couldn’t we recruit we had to move on the higher paid players to just get to Cap compliance. WKIM that Stuart has had 18 years coaching and won one premiership, that being in his first year. Last year was his 6th year at Canberra having missed the finals 4 times. Hardly a reasonable comparison on any grounds.

Go Dogs

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look you made a point about Bennetts age, assume questioning his desire passion etc, the guy is a workaholic and there has been no information forthcoming about retirement.
Of course your same argument can be used against Lynn, cannot have it both ways.
Will Bennett be a good fit for the dogs? What have we got to lose? Although would keep pay in some capacity as i like the guy.
Jury is out on Latrell but he certainly ain’t a fullback and I’m very glad we didn’t cave to that (or at all). You’ll never catch me defending the Port Macquarie muppets mate so no need to go there. Back to the point - 72 year old Wayne fitting in - was that a crack at Lynne or thinking old school or something? Curious...

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously mate??
He would have cost us 1M.
The current crop have cost us 2m plus Mpc plus mad Monday plus fines from the nrl..
If we are looking at this from a monetary perspective.
Better letting dogs lie than spruiking about latrell after 2 games
Not directing this at Big Ted but there’s a lot of people looking like my avatar right now after wanting to sign Latrell on a million a year (despite us not having that money free). Unfit, disinterested and having mental health issues. I didn’t need a crystal ball to predict that one did I?

Last edited:

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I can gather so far, pay seems to be a good player manager, the players want to play for him, and it's evident that the effort is mostly there.. however in terms of team selections bench rotation and games strategy, pay coaching is indefensible..

I think the perfect solution would be to keep pay on as a people manager, get someone in with at least half a brain that can deal with the rest.. I don't care who, even the local town drunk will do..
Only gave the disagree to the good player manager part as the players do not like his selections,game plans etc but have to abide by what the coach wants. The past two seasons the team has come home with a wet sail so to speak and then started like a wet blanket purely because of Pays shuffling in the off season.
The rest of your post wholly agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.