Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I’m not defending Pay or think he’s a great coach but I haven’t heard him ‘shooting his mouth off’ about anything.

Before the 2018 season he allegedly said something about ‘bringing back the madness’ and playing ‘eyes up footy’ though I’ve never actually seen those quotes attributed to him.

Why do many think Dymock is a solution? We overlooked him twice and then the Sharks did too - he simply can’t offer that much.

Gould has said publicly and more than once he has no interest in any coaching role (even oversight).

So it comes back to the question asked many times. If Pay has to go, he has to be replaced by someone who’s clearly a step up. And who is that person?

Hint: it’s not Shane Flanagan and it’s not Geoff Toovey.
pay doesn't shoot the mouth off, he actually tried downplaying the situation trying to buy more time

the shooting the mouth off came from the club directors who were desperate to continue directing

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not defending Pay or think he’s a great coach but I haven’t heard him ‘shooting his mouth off’ about anything.

Before the 2018 season he allegedly said something about ‘bringing back the madness’ and playing ‘eyes up footy’ though I’ve never actually seen those quotes attributed to him.

Why do many think Dymock is a solution? We overlooked him twice and then the Sharks did too - he simply can’t offer that much.

Gould has said publicly and more than once he has no interest in any coaching role (even oversight).

So it comes back to the question asked many times. If Pay has to go, he has to be replaced by someone who’s clearly a step up. And who is that person?

Hint: it’s not Shane Flanagan and it’s not Geoff Toovey.
I read many a column where he was claiming to bring back the dogs of war.

I don’t have a replacement solution, but I know that Pay is not a FG coach.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I read many a column where he was claiming to bring back the dogs of war.

I don’t have a replacement solution, but I know that Pay is not a FG coach.
Fair enough mate but before you sack someone you need to know who you’re going to replace them with - that’s my main point among all the cries of ‘Sack Pay!’. Cheers.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not long lol .!!!
Pays longevity as our head coach IMO all rests with how strong his mate ship is with the Andersons and whether the current board are willing to step on Lynne's toes. Chris may not be a active board member any longer but I dare say his influence still carries weight. On the other hand the Caronvirus just might extend Pay's coaching career depending on what happens to the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fair enough mate but before you sack someone you need to know who you’re going to replace them with - that’s my main point among all the cries of ‘Sack Pay!’. Cheers.
Mick Potter, Neil Henry, Andy Griffin or Michael Hagan if you want an experienced coach.
David Fairleigh, Jason Ryles or Todd Payten also have some credentials.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really, so Elliott hasn’t improved, even the Elliot haters on here would disagree with you on that.

I think you’d get plenty of arguments if you claimed Meaney hasn’t improved.

Britt is playing better in 2 games with us that has in any previous NRL season.

CHN last season was so improved that he earned a permanent spot in the Kiwi teams.

Napa, even his detractors would agree is playing way better this year.

To’omaga and RFM are now permanent NRL players.

Wakeham, etc etc

Go Dogs
Mate Elliot’s best year was the season before his Mad Monday mishap.

Meaney has sized up but not seen enough this season to say he has improved, he gets no decent ball at all, so his fault is it not.

CHN season improves last year when the dogs improved, last half and destined for an early exit before finals. He played way better for an attacking Panthers outfit.

Britt played about the same for the Bunnies off the bench last year.

RFM, actually if you recall prior to his injury plagued season last year, he was looking to leave because Pay was playing him in ressies.

Wakeham is hot and cold, but def played better after he took control of the team, his first half last week was poor kicking and poor reads in attack and defense, and a few dropped balls.

Papi is def playing better.

A

Alexander the Great

Where is Jason Taylor these days? 44% win rate. My gawd!!
Mick Potter, Neil Henry, Andy Griffin or Michael Hagan if you want an experienced coach.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed man, now the board needs to be productive and start the search. I’m not saying I have the answers for a new coach. we need a coach that has vision, and that will have other teams players wanting to play under. I’m sorry but that just isn’t Pay, and we have given him a decent shot.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Where is Jason Taylor these days? 44% win rate. My gawd!!
Attacking coach at roosters, he’s got a great footy brain but seems to struggle with man management when head coach, although I respected what he tried to do at the tigers by axing Farrah

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Hagan out of that list but for the rest of experienced, not sure they are what we after.

Maybe look at England?

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pays longevity as our head coach IMO all rests with how strong his mate ship is with the Andersons and whether the current board are willing to step on Lynne's toes. Chris may not be a active board member any longer but I dare say his influence still carries weight. On the other hand the Caronvirus just might extend Pay's coaching career depending on what happens to the rest of the season.
Pay and C Anderson are besties mate.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No point firing a coach if there's not a better one available.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon his fate will be decided in about 4-5 more rounds I doubt anything said publicly but if he keeps on the losing form he wont be here next year...……. I reckon he'll be praying for a corona shut down like a pommy cricketer prays for rain to save his arse

obe

Waterboy
Reaction score
If the club had confidence in him they wouldn't have extended his contract by only one year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed man, now the board needs to be productive and start the search. I’m not saying I have the answers for a new coach. we need a coach that has vision, and that will have other teams players wanting to play under. I’m sorry but that just isn’t Pay, and we have given him a decent shot.
You don’t have to explain that mate :-).
I support the club, I’ve been willing to be patient with them, I’m giving them until 2021 to get out of the hole we’ve been in since 2017 but I’m not blind - there’s no waiting until 2021 - the work is already on. They know that (they must!). The signing of Thompson won’t be the only 2021 recruitment I’m confident there will be more after 30 June (assuming the season goes on) and a coaching strategy will emerge as well. If not, I’d expect a rival ticket to stand at the next election.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My apologies pay was appointed by the previous board but as pointed out was reassigned so this board still has faith in him either way or he is just keeping the seat warm for someone else to take the glory once the roster situation is better ..

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old board recruited him, the current board just renewed his contract. The reason the old board recruited him was because they were under pressure from fans to bring back our DNA. I thought it was a poor decision at the time to get an inexperienced coach. I'd personally have preferred us to chase Cleary at the time.

But right now I don't see any fantastic options available. We either go for another gamble on a different rookie coach or stick with someone that might just get his shit together.

The players seem to have respect for him. Our defence has been getting towards the best any club offers overall (we have had poor weeks). But our attack hasn't fired. But given that the average fan on here will admit that our spine has been a real work in progress for the entirety of his time here, so that will hamper the attack.

I'd quietly let him know that if we're not sitting at around 50% with our win/loss ratio by mid season that we're going to be shopping for a new coach.
my apologies the last board did recruit him I realise he was cheaper then some other candidates given we paid Hasler out with the settlement pay was a cheaper option. Given he has been resigned to a lot of our disagreement the actions moving forward now are on this board
I get there was a lot of coaches who didn’t want to touch us with the salary cap predictament I commend him on that I think as a defensive coach he is spot on defence atm is great I think that’s his forte if that’s his focus within our team

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old board recruited him, the current board just renewed his contract. The reason the old board recruited him was because they were under pressure from fans to bring back our DNA. I thought it was a poor decision at the time to get an inexperienced coach. I'd personally have preferred us to chase Cleary at the time.

But right now I don't see any fantastic options available. We either go for another gamble on a different rookie coach or stick with someone that might just get his shit together.

The players seem to have respect for him. Our defence has been getting towards the best any club offers overall (we have had poor weeks). But our attack hasn't fired. But given that the average fan on here will admit that our spine has been a real work in progress for the entirety of his time here, so that will hamper the attack.

I'd quietly let him know that if we're not sitting at around 50% with our win/loss ratio by mid season that we're going to be shopping for a new coach.
my apologies the last board did recruit him I realise he was cheaper then some other candidates given we paid Hasler out with the settlement pay was a cheaper option. Given he has been resigned to a lot of our disagreement the actions moving forward now are on this board
I get there was a lot of coaches who didn’t want to touch us with the salary cap predictament I commend him on that I think as a defensive coach he is spot on defence atm is great I think that’s his forte if that’s his focus within our team

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I see his JOB is not so different to my JOB. We both have targets to reach. Difference is, if I under performed for two years, I would have lost my business by now, and maybe killed people ( being an electrician).
To compare yourself to pay you would have to show up at jobs on a push bike, with broken tools and no shoes. Then it would be comparable

Status
Not open for further replies.