News Dogs to stick with Lewis in halves

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The people still defending Lewis are fucking embarassing.

He's had 2 years and he got hooked. We looked a shit load better without him on the field.

Wakehams bombs actually allowed a contest from our chasers. Lewis bombs were too deep and easy catches for cowboys.

Lewis was passing behind players on normal structures.

Even Elliotshowed better ability with the ball then Lewis.

It's enough Lewis should not see 1st grade for us ever again. And stop trying to suggest shifting him to centre or lock, he'll stink up those positions as well

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lewis looks so uncoordinated as a playmaker. Lock or nothing, if that

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They persisted with talented players
Big difference. Once in a generation players already at a young age. Haas, Fifita and Staggs. Carrigan's looking like the next Corey Parker too. Flegler's better than all of our forwards.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As a 6 and 7 you either have it or you don’t. Unfortunately Lewis doesn’t. I like him as person and I like his attitude in defence but Thursday should be his last game in the half’s. It’s his 3rd year and he’s getting worse

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Big difference. Once in a generation players already at a young age. Haas, Fifita and Staggs. Carrigan's looking like the next Corey Parker too. Flegler's better than all of our forwards.
Fleg always had an excellent offload and footwork in the juniors I hadn’t seen him use those skills in the nrl until last night.as his confidence grows you will see what he is capable of he will surprise a lot of people with his skill level he even has a pretty good short kicking game

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The donkeys have the cream of Qld talent to persist with !
We have the cream of all clubs rejects to persist with !
Just a slight difference :grimacing:
We don't even have that :tearsofjoy:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Flegler is a fucking monster, I'd take him over Thompson tbh.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do the Gronkos have any Tolman type forwards?

The ratio of explosive forwards to workhorse types is probably 5:1

For us it's the other way around.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see how this gets spun
Challenge accepted, I will have a crack..:tonguewink:

2 games in Pay wont admit he got it wrong or that anyone is out of position and in his mind he has plenty of ammo with players dropping the ball, shit kick options on the last (Wakeham) and brain farts like DWZ and Smith had all night.

Now, before the psychopathic lynch mob on here start reaching for this pitchforks and crosses to burn with me on and stabbing their Lewis dolls, I dont believe he should remain at halfback and to be honest after watching Averillo debut, probably not the 6 long term either. Wakeham was fucking useless and certainly didn't help Lewis's cause at all but the one thing I and a few others gave Lewis a leave pass was for his excellent defence and competitiveness.

For what ever reason Round 1 he had a couple of bad reads and round 2 missed some one on ones he shouldn't have, plus as Andrew Johns pointed out he lacks soft hands and tends to bullet everything. My opinion was he was trying his ass off and gets way to involved for his ability and personally I have always said he should play 6 with an organizing and controlling half running the play with Lewis looking for places to get involved.

Problem is Wakeham is not that player yet, he does need time to build confidence and his game. That is the issue Pay has, Wakeham is not ready yet and Lewis is not a half back although Pay has insisted he is, Foran is months away and now you have the extended problem of Averillo who to me was a rare debut.

I remember being at the Footy stadium at Easter about 25 years ago to watch a relo of mine play 19's for Marconi of all things and we hung around to watch 1st grade which also happened to be one of Paul Okons 1st games. What I saw in Okon that night is the same feeling I had watch Averillo make his debut on Thursday, they both appeared completely unfazed about the step up and very sure of where they needed to be. I reckon he would handle the step up right now.

Watching what is unfolding I reckon Pay will persist with Wakeham and Lewis with Averillo on the bench and you can only hope if thats the case he finally bites the bullet and switches numbers giving Wakeham more control of running them around. I actually think he would be better suited starting with Wakeham and Averillo and let them find their combo with Lewis in 14 to cover a halves or hooker, if Pay wants to persist with him. In spite of what a few of you lovely chaps have to say I still think their is a 1st grade footballer in Lewis but he needs to find his spot and its not 7. We also still have the issue of DWZ in the 1, JMK in the 9 and Smith in the 3, all good players but I think also not cutting it in those positions.

That all said, regardless of what Pay does with the halves there will be frothing at the mouth by some kenelers because that is just their thing to be outraged and pissed off that the stupid club and stupid coach dont listen to their expert positional advice. And the boards fucked the CEO is a dick and the bistro food is rubbish..

The board has 2 seasons to keep their jobs but I reckon the pressure will start to build for Pay if we dont improve and he doesn't make adjustments, because even though the board love Deano they also love their jobs..

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its easy to be critical of Lewis. But the problem is the number 9.
Teams play a right and left half most times and the 9 decides who shall get the ball.
The guy we need is Katoa. He offers more as a 9 than does JMK.
I also believe Averillo offers more than Wakeham at this stage of their careers.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

2 games in Pay wont admit he got it wrong or that anyone is out of position and in his mind he has plenty of ammo with players dropping the ball, shit kick options on the last (Wakeham) and brain farts like DWZ and Smith had all night.

Now, before the psychopathic lynch mob on here start reaching for this pitchforks and crosses to burn with me on and stabbing their Lewis dolls, I dont believe he should remain at halfback and to be honest after watching Averillo debut, probably not the 6 long term either. Wakeham was fucking useless and certainly didn't help Lewis's cause at all but the one thing I and a few others gave Lewis a leave pass was for his excellent defence and competitiveness.

For what ever reason Round 1 he had a couple of bad reads and round 2 missed some one on ones he shouldn't have, plus as Andrew Johns pointed out he lacks soft hands and tends to bullet everything. My opinion was he was trying his ass off and gets way to involved for his ability and personally I have always said he should play 6 with an organizing and controlling half running the play with Lewis looking for places to get involved.

Problem is Wakeham is not that player yet, he does need time to build confidence and his game. That is the issue Pay has, Wakeham is not ready yet and Lewis is not a half back although Pay has insisted he is, Foran is months away and now you have the extended problem of Averillo who to me was a rare debut.

I remember being at the Footy stadium at Easter about 25 years ago to watch a relo of mine play 19's for Marconi of all things and we hung around to watch 1st grade which also happened to be one of Paul Okons 1st games. What I saw in Okon that night is the same feeling I had watch Averillo make his debut on Thursday, they both appeared completely unfazed about the step up and very sure of where they needed to be. I reckon he would handle the step up right now.

Watching what is unfolding I reckon Pay will persist with Wakeham and Lewis with Averillo on the bench and you can only hope if thats the case he finally bites the bullet and switches numbers giving Wakeham more control of running them around. I actually think he would be better suited starting with Wakeham and Averillo and let them find their combo with Lewis in 14 to cover a halves or hooker, if Pay wants to persist with him. In spite of what a few of you lovely chaps have to say I still think their is a 1st grade footballer in Lewis but he needs to find his spot and its not 7. We also still have the issue of DWZ in the 1, JMK in the 9 and Smith in the 3, all good players but I think also not cutting it in those positions.

That all said, regardless of what Pay does with the halves there will be frothing at the mouth by some kenelers because that is just their thing to be outraged and pissed off that the stupid club and stupid coach dont listen to their expert positional advice. And the boards fucked the CEO is a dick and the bistro food is rubbish..

The board has 2 seasons to keep their jobs but I reckon the pressure will start to build for Pay if we dont improve and he doesn't make adjustments, because even though the board love Deano they also love their jobs..
Wakeham was shocking while Lewis was on the field however I can only pin point two errors from wakeham. Kicking the ball dead with a grabber and dropping the ball from an offload (I think it was). The other one where Lewis passed it too far in front of wakeham was a Lewis mistake not a wakeham one.

Wakeham has continuously looked good for us when he's been tasked as first receiver and leading the team around.

Let's not forget that it's only like 5 or 6 first grade games and he's already shown more than Lewis.

I also don't think cowboys eased off too much because we bombed a try (where Jackson should have passed earlier after a wakeham contested bomb). That would have been a wake up call to cowboys and there were still 16 mins left.

As far as reimis goes. It was obvious in the trials that Harper was out performing him but again pay stuck with a wrong lineup. Reimis is a winger and Harper should be in the centres.

I'd likely give dwz a couple of last chances at fullback. I'd stick with a backline of

1. Dwz
2. Smith
3. Harper
4. Hoppa
5. Meaney
6. Averillo
7. Wakeham

The other fucked up thing is pay giving tolman 70 minutes and STARVING minutes from renouf.

Also Stimson not being good enough in the first game but again pay persisted with him and we got burnt.

Pay has continuously shown that he gets the lineups wrong and only gets it right after suspensions and injuries interject

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Do the Gronkos have any Tolman type forwards?

The ratio of explosive forwards to workhorse types is probably 5:1

For us it's the other way around.
Carrigan, probably. But he's better on his feet and has stronger carries.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't choose between

1. Meany/DWZ
2. DWZ/Meany
3. Averilo
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Cogger
7. Wakeham

Or

1. Meany/DWZ
2. DWZ/Meany
3. Harper
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Averilo
7. Wakeham

Averilo has to be in the team. But when Foran comes back. He will make way, so i rather keep him at centre with a view of him being a 5/8 2021 when we don't re-sign Foran.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Bazil - you and your common sense.
Do you mind??
Man the pitchforks! :-)