Opinion It's not Pays fault

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’d rather lose playing an enterprising style than the way we do. It’s pays coaching, one of the most conservative duds the NRL has seen. Would have been too conservative for the 80s when the GF was 4-2. It’s not like we are ripping massive backlines and some un talented players are executing it wrong, there is just nothing in attack.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The players destroyed the game last night no doubt.

The blame I have on Pay was his bench and changes. We scored in the 6th(ish) minute and looked great but 3 seconds after that the wheel fell off the bus and somehow we managed to find more wheels to throw aswell. Around that 20th minute mark it was very obvious that things were bad and getting worse. To me that would and should have been the time to try and change the mood of the team and how we were playing. By this I mean Pay should have changed out about 4 players to see if we could get a different vibe and more positive game going. I could feel we we were done so I'm assuming everyone else could. Nothing at all was done for quite some time after that and I think our first change came around the 30th minute mark.

The other change should have been DWZ. That dude was cactus at FB last night and got worse and worse. Surely a Coach must have it in his abilities to identify these things and make adjustment as required? He could have gone Hoppa to FB and DWZ to centre, even Averillo?

Now I read he's sticking with Lewis at number 7? Why hook him if you have every intention of keeping him there? You just smashed his confidence even more!

Stimson looks unfit and slow, shouldn't be in the FG squad yet is run on?

Smith isn't a centre a-hole and can't catch or keep a ball....

So many players playing in the wrong positions or have better players in reggies.

That's my bit.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

The blame I have on Pay was his bench and changes. We scored in the 6th(ish) minute and looked great but 3 seconds after that the wheel fell off the bus and somehow we managed to find more wheels to throw aswell. Around that 20th minute mark it was very obvious that things were bad and getting worse. To me that would and should have been the time to try and change the mood of the team and how we were playing. By this I mean Pay should have changed out about 4 players to see if we could get a different vibe and more positive game going. I could feel we we were done so I'm assuming everyone else could. Nothing at all was done for quite some time after that and I think our first change came around the 30th minute mark.

The other change should have been DWZ. That dude was cactus at FB last night and got worse and worse. Surely a Coach must have it in his abilities to identify these things and make adjustment as required? He could have gone Hoppa to FB and DWZ to centre, even Averillo?

Now I read he's sticking with Lewis at number 7? Why hook him if you have every intention of keeping him there? You just smashed his confidence even more!

So many players playing in the wrong positions or have better players in reggies.

That's my bit.
DWZ isn't a fullback but he has most likely been re-signed on fullback money. We've probably created an issue there. DWZ showed his Panthers form last night (which is why he lost his spot to Edwards, which is similar to now with fans wanting DWZ swapped with Meaney).

Pay hasn't said he's 100% sticking with Lewis. He just defended himself and Lewis in the presser.

Stimson was supposed to be our best recruit going into the season. He's the definition of a massive F*** you. Hard to see him not being dropped after his performances since we've brought him.

Reimis isn't a centre and the only reason I see him playing there is we have to be buying a winger for next season or Pay wanted to get Okunbor on the field (which obviously is a meme in itself now). Any other reason doesn't make any sense. Reimis is a good winger and the best at our club (excluding DWZ if he actually played in his correct position).

The crazy thing from that game there could be up to 10 changes that are justifiable in some sense. Will be interesting is see what Pay does.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
DWZ isn't a fullback but he has most likely been re-signed on fullback money. We've probably created an issue there. DWZ showed his Panthers form last night (which is why he lost his spot to Edwards, which is similar to now with fans wanting DWZ swapped with Meaney).

Pay hasn't said he's 100% sticking with Lewis. He just defended himself and Lewis in the presser.

Stimson was supposed to be our best recruit going into the season. He's the definition of a massive F*** you. Hard to see him not being dropped after his performances since we've brought him.

Reimis isn't a centre and the only reason I see him playing there is we have to be buying a winger for next season or Pay wanted to get Okunbor on the field (which obviously is a meme in itself now). Any other reason doesn't make any sense. Reimis is a good winger and the best at our club (excluding DWZ if he actually played in his correct position).

The crazy thing from that game there could be up to 10 changes that are justifiable in some sense. Will be interesting is see what Pay does.
Interesting? It will be the same team knowing SuperCoach

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score

My guess is same team next week.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

That's my bit.
That's the biggest issue with the side, players are asked to play roles they simply aren't suited to and the balance of the side is completely thrown off. Certain players would look so much better if they were allowed to play roles they have the ability to play and had the confidence to do so.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pay did axe multiple players last year (maybe it was the year before) after an abysmal performance. The performance last night was one of the worst I've seen in the last few years. If Pay doesn't make changes next week I'd be surprised.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
That's the biggest issue with the side, players are asked to play roles they simply aren't suited to and the balance of the side is completely thrown off. Certain players would look so much better if they were allowed to play roles they have the ability to play and had the confidence to do so.
It's like no player can remember what position they play or whatever position they use to be good at....lol

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay did axe multiple players last year (maybe it was the year before) after an abysmal performance. The performance last night was one of the worst I've seen in the last few years. If Pay doesn't make changes next week I'd be surprised.
Going off last nights performance;

- Lewis will be dropped to reggies for Averillo
- Britt starts on the edge for Stimson
- Both DWZ and Smith should be shifted to the wings, but that wont happen
- Harper should come in to left centre, but that wont happen
- Meaney should drop back into FB, but that wont happen
- Katoa should come into the 17

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
True he dropped CHN ,Lewis and Holland from the left side and kept Okunbor because as he said “defensively they were poor” and changes needed to be made.In the next two weeks we conceded 60 points!!!! Has much changed since?
When the Twins left we needed a new left side,no problems,Pay bought Meaney to cover fullback and Hoppa to move to left centre.Holland and Smith were killing it on the right side and combining well.Hell Holland had the best stats for the last six weeks of any centre in the comp !!! Start of 2019 Hoppa says no I won’t play left centre and digs his heels in.Easy fix,Holland to left and find a winger..In short Reimis has a shit year outside Hoppa,looks disinterested and left side is a train wreck. Etc etc etc..
Fast forward,now Reimis wants to play centre because he had a shit year and so on and so on.Show some balls coach and COACH..

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score
Going off last nights performance;

- Lewis will be dropped to reggies for Averillo
- Britt starts on the edge for Stimson
- Both DWZ and Smith should be shifted to the wings, but that wont happen
- Harper should come in to left centre, but that wont happen
- Meaney should drop back into FB, but that wont happen
- Katoa should come into the 17
Pay has his favourites and seems to be letting some of the players dictate where they want to play - to the detriment of the team. Piss poor in my opinion!!

A

Alexander the Great

Nasheed is going to cream his pants with the Holland wraps mate.
True he dropped CHN ,Lewis and Holland from the left side and kept Okunbor because as he said “defensively they were poor” and changes needed to be made.In the next two weeks we conceded 60 points!!!! Has much changed since?
When the Twins left we needed a new left side,no problems,Pay bought Meaney to cover fullback and Hoppa to move to left centre.Holland and Smith were killing it on the right side and combining well.Hell Holland had the best stats for the last six weeks of any centre in the comp !!! Start of 2019 Hoppa says no I won’t play left centre and digs his heels in.Easy fix,Holland to left and find a winger..In short Reimis has a shit year outside Hoppa,looks disinterested and left side is a train wreck. Etc etc etc..
Fast forward,now Reimis wants to play centre because he had a shit year and so on and so on.Show some balls coach and COACH..

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A new proven experienced coach is what we need end of story. St George have done something about their problems by getting Gus and flano we haven't done jack. Well done we got Sherwin to coach the halves doesn't look like thats done anything. I don't care if it's round 2 we through the same shit last year. We need some mid year signings.

Dean Pay can be bulldogs defense coach but I can't see him being as head coach past round 10.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could we sign someone from England since the competition has paused for now? Who would you bring ?

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay is a great defensive coach, but not a head coach at NRL level.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Remember when pay started round 1 with frawley as our half and then dropped him 2nd round?

Remember when pay started Montoya at centre in round 1 and then refused to drop him?

It is pays fault