News Canterbury Leagues Club’s $6.5m deal to keep Bulldogs afloat

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
TK yesterday: its those bloody Asians' fault for starting the coronavirus therefore putting our game in jeopardy.

TK today: their gambling addictions are propping up the league's club therefore making us financially stable. Nah they ok now.
Soz guys lol.

A

Alexander the Great

Haha nice pick up.
TK yesterday: its those bloody Asians' fault for starting the coronavirus therefore putting our game in jeopardy.

TK today: their gambling addictions are propping up the league's club therefore making us financially stable. Nah they ok now.
Soz guys lol.

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cross your fingers pokie revenue holds up... at our club, we are looking at a 30% downturn today due to people staying home...

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IMG_7259.JPG leagues club elections are on at the moment. My good friend Jim is running for a place on the board. If you have been a leagues club member for more then 3 years you’re eligible to cast your vote.

Voting ballot box open 11am-8pm.
Voting ends tomorrow.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think many people are ignorant to the plight many clubs including Canterbury leagues are currently in.
With Covid 19 many clubs are anticipating drops in revenue of 40-60%, and now with clubs switching off every 2nd pokie and venue limits being imposed it's going to be a long, slow bleed which is not good when you have 500 staff members including many salaried and full time workers, very high fixed costs and a $50 mil debt.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I reckon they go hand in hand... Both will struggle without the other.
Incorrect. Most leagues clubs lose a tonne of money from football, that brand association isn't what it once was. Friend of mine works for parra leagues and they're bottom line has actually gone down since the new stadium as whatever they make in extra schooner and burger sales is usually absorbed by the extra staff and security they need to roster and the regular clientele that are usually the best spenders won't go to the club on game day as parking is limited

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think many people are ignorant to the plight many clubs including Canterbury leagues are currently in.
With Covid 19 many clubs are anticipating drops in revenue of 40-60%, and now with clubs switching off every 2nd pokie and venue limits being imposed it's going to be a long, slow bleed which is not good when you have 500 staff members including many salaried and full time workers, very high fixed costs and a $50 mil debt.
We paid $7.8m off the debt last year, so it’s now down to $40m. Net assets are $167m, so we can survive for quite some time by making prudent business decisions, we own the premises so no rent to pay, rotating employees though their leave etc. We are in a great position compared to many others and I don’t have any doubt that we will survive far longer than a vaccine will take to develop.

Go Dogs

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We paid $7.8m off the debt last year, so it’s now down to $40m. Net assets are $167m, so we can survive for quite some time by making prudent business decisions, we own the premises so no rent to pay, rotating employees though their leave etc. We are in a great position compared to many others and I don’t have any doubt that we will survive far longer than a vaccine will take to develop.

Go Dogs
I'm not talking about survival, of course the club will survive what I'm talking about is future grants and/or financial assistance. People think that the leagues club will forever be a blank cheque, it's not always going to be the case. In terms of rotating employees it's not that easy, I work in the industry and whilst you can cancel a few casual shifts at this stage salaried and full time staff still need to be accommodated and with the government changing the operating guidelines every 2nd day I'm spending a fortune keeping up with those guidelines.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clubs are shut from tomorrow this is a major concern now. We cannot afford any type of fuck ups moving forward.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clubs are shut from tomorrow this is a major concern now. We cannot afford any type of fuck ups moving forward.
Rashays breathing a sigh of relief
Imagine signing a big sponsorship deal then this happens.....
They got very lucky

A

Alexander the Great

Yep its not good news.

But once it opens the lebs and Chinese will be wanting to gamble the money that have been sitting on for weeks and sure as he'll its going to all go back in.

The staff will be a issue. We pay huge amounts of money to staff and they all have no jobs pretty much.
This of serious concern.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep its not good news.

But once it opens the lebs and Chinese will be wanting to gamble the money that have been sitting on for weeks and sure as he'll its going to all go back in.

The staff will be a issue. We pay huge amounts of money to staff and they all have no jobs pretty much.
Sadly I think it’s months not weeks we will be on these restrictions. Does anyone know if any of the food in the club is on Uber eats? Maybe that might be an option to keep things ticking over a bit.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep its not good news.

Since this covid-19 thing got big.. nothing is good news though?? The whole world is turning to shit, and on top of that we have a bog average team that we have to stick by through this tough time. The last few years have been very hard going as DOGGIES supporters, it’s even harder now.

we just have to stick together an hope ALL things turn out for the better, the whole community/people and their family’s. And as a club we just Have to hang in there..!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not talking about survival, of course the club will survive what I'm talking about is future grants and/or financial assistance. People think that the leagues club will forever be a blank cheque, it's not always going to be the case. In terms of rotating employees it's not that easy, I work in the industry and whilst you can cancel a few casual shifts at this stage salaried and full time staff still need to be accommodated and with the government changing the operating guidelines every 2nd day I'm spending a fortune keeping up with those guidelines.
We are rotating non essential employees on annual leave, some on family leave, one of our long term employees is on long service leave. That’s using up provisions already made so no bottom line cost. Of course the employees have to agree but we have a loyal bunch and they are volunteering themselves to take leave. Each industry is different and hospitality relies on physical customers whereas as a hardware and software distributor we don’t need a lot of physical proximity.

Go Dogs

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are rotating non essential employees on annual leave, some on family leave, one of our long term employees is on long service leave. That’s using up provisions already made so no bottom line cost. Of course the employees have to agree but we have a loyal bunch and they are volunteering themselves to take leave. Each industry is different and hospitality relies on physical customers whereas as a hardware and software distributor we don’t need a lot of physical proximity.

Go Dogs
That has obviously changed now as the employees have been stood down under the fair work act but the leagues club will be losing money now for anything up to 6 months

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That has obviously changed now as the employees have been stood down under the fair work act but the leagues club will be losing money now for anything up to 6 months
Maybe, but the pokie addicts will have all this pent up gambling compulsion, plus a ready pile of cash stashed under the bed. Just waiting for the leagues club to reopen to let their habit loose.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but the pokie addicts will have all this pent up gambling compulsion, plus a ready pile of cash stashed under the bed. Just waiting for the leagues club to reopen to let their habit loose.

Go Dogs
Who knows what will happen? There could be venue restrictions on numbers allowed in and every second pokie might have to be turned off. It’s a very simplistic idea that the first day the club re-opens there’s going to be a line of people with bags of money ready to feed the machines and even if there is it won’t be a quick fix it will take a years to fix.