Game two review

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In contrast to last week our game yesterday was not characterised by brilliant defence. I'll remember the sheer number of unforced errors.

In some ways I saw improvement. Our structure wasn't quite as dominated by forwards chasing the ball to within inches of the sideline. Our outside backs had more room to move as a result ànd looked more likely to score.

Our forwards were generally playing well. However poor handling resulted in them having a lot more work to do. By halftime we were on the wrong end of a 61/39% split of posession. Under those circumstances a monster like Taumalolo thrived. The second half saw less errors, but the damage had mostly been done. I saw it as a closer arm wrestle.

Our backline looked better this week. They had more space to move and threatened the line on multiple occasions. Lewis started well with a 40/20 and a try. But seemed to push passes when we were behind and a few of them went badly astray. Wakeham had a shocking kick on the third tackle that never looked like staying in the field of play. But I think it was a better game from Lewis in terms of creativity. Wakeham had a couple of better moments after Lewis was subbed off. But Averillo looked the better of the three in the second half. But having fresh legs probably have him a big advantage there.

Overall I saw some big negative things from a few players. I never like seeing the backline allowing the ball to bounce when defending a kick inside our 20m line and it gave me a heart condition seeing DWZ standing back and letting it bounce in traffic, Stimson missed some crucial tackles on his edge and as mentioned above, the unforced errors were abundant from multiple players.

The big positives are that we didn't give up when we were down on the scoreboard. Our backline looked more potent than in round 1 and that Averillo had a pretty positive debut. I like that he's following the ball. His support play can be very useful if he's able to do it frequently.

Given how much ball we coughed up we didn't deserve to win. In all honesty the scoreline could have been a lot worse if not for our defence which was far from perfect, but still good. I see a big part of our issue this week was a lack of composure. In the end I think we'd have been closer to having the chance of a very late comeback win if the second captains challenge had been ruled a strip (maybe I'm biased, but it looked pretty clear that it was to me), and I thought that Smith was held back off the ball as well resulting in the late knock on on the try line.

In summary, our attack looked better, our defence was still pretty solid. But composure issues and unforced errors really cost us during this game.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Quick review.....

We were rubbish with Lewis on and less rubbish when he was off lol

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Hat off to you for such a positive review. Other than Elliott not one single person including Pay turned up. I thought the game was pathetic and we completely disintegrated in the first half leading to DWZ just leaving that bomb alone, he was done. Just needed the fork stuck in him.

Averillo looked dangerous.

An opportunity missed really, Cowboys could have easily of been beaten last night. Another game at seasons end when we are looking for points to remember.

That's all I have other than head shaking and swear words.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
In contrast to last week our game yesterday was not characterised by brilliant defence. I'll remember the sheer number of unforced errors.

In some ways I saw improvement. Our structure wasn't quite as dominated by forwards chasing the ball to within inches of the sideline. Our outside backs had more room to move as a result ànd looked more likely to score.

Our forwards were generally playing well. However poor handling resulted in them having a lot more work to do. By halftime we were on the wrong end of a 61/39% split of posession. Under those circumstances a monster like Taumalolo thrived. The second half saw less errors, but the damage had mostly been done. I saw it as a closer arm wrestle.

Our backline looked better this week. They had more space to move and threatened the line on multiple occasions. Lewis started well with a 40/20 and a try. But seemed to push passes when we were behind and a few of them went badly astray. Wakeham had a shocking kick on the third tackle that never looked like staying in the field of play. But I think it was a better game from Lewis in terms of creativity. Wakeham had a couple of better moments after Lewis was subbed off. But Averillo looked the better of the three in the second half. But having fresh legs probably have him a big advantage there.

Overall I saw some big negative things from a few players. I never like seeing the backline allowing the ball to bounce when defending a kick inside our 20m line and it gave me a heart condition seeing DWZ standing back and letting it bounce in traffic, Stimson missed some crucial tackles on his edge and as mentioned above, the unforced errors were abundant from multiple players.

The big positives are that we didn't give up when we were down on the scoreboard. Our backline looked more potent than in round 1 and that Averillo had a pretty positive debut. I like that he's following the ball. His support play can be very useful if he's able to do it frequently.

Given how much ball we coughed up we didn't deserve to win. In all honesty the scoreline could have been a lot worse if not for our defence which was far from perfect, but still good. I see a big part of our issue this week was a lack of composure. In the end I think we'd have been closer to having the chance of a very late comeback win if the second captains challenge had been ruled a strip (maybe I'm biased, but it looked pretty clear that it was to me), and I thought that Smith was held back off the ball as well resulting in the late knock on on the try line.

In summary, our attack looked better, our defence was still pretty solid. But composure issues and unforced errors really cost us during this game.
Alan, you’ve pretty well hit the nail on the head.

This one’s squarely on the players in my books. With just 43% of possession, we racked up 17 errors, most of which were absolutely schoolboy in nature. We made an unforced error for every 2 minutes of time in possession we had. You can’t win football games with that level of discipline. Simple as that. Had nothing to do with bench rotations, Tolman, players being played out of position or the other alleged tactical issues which the experts on here claim.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A fair review.

Captains challenge - I thought 2 out of 3 were wrong calls. We got 1 that we shouldn't have and the last we got robbed. It appears there is bias towards the onfield refs decision which makes the captains challenge null and void. The fact that the bunker (which I have no faith in - again the last cap challenge decission) is officiating the refs decision just makes the whole thing stupid.

Broncos supporter at work yesterday said we'll probably win. I told him then when we play shit teams we usually play shitter.

I dont think the cowboys where that great. I too am of the opinion that with the cattle we have, it is imperative that we hang onto the ball, that we dont give away unnecessary penalties because we need to make the most of every opportunity.

We beat ourselves last night. If we didnt have so many errors, we could have jagged a win. Another result as previously mentioned by others that we will be regretting at the back end of the year like last year.