News Dogs to stick with Lewis in halves

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillo must start don’t care where but he won’t get the experience sitting on a bench. Our season is not going anywhere so play the kid.
If your going down that road, shift DWZ to the wing and play Avo at FB.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like Cogger and Meaney, but i think something like this going forward would be sweet.. I just want an exciting spine again.

1. Averillo
6. Luai or Burton (whoever Penrith don't start hit them up with some decent coin)
7. Wakeham
9. Any decent hooker (wish we got Koriosau)
I like Burton... Burton or Tommy Dearden would be nice.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gees people like Lewis or not but don't come on here and taunt him like he plays for the Rooters or the Boncos. He is a Bulldog player. I thought he started very well but then we started making so many mistakes. When he came off I liked the way Wakeham took over and I think that will be more of what we see going forward. I don't think Lewis will be in the halves long term but for now I am happy him being there but Wakeham should get more involved.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
The only number I can conceivably see on Lewis' back is 13. Beefcake up a bit and be like Radley or Murray. He is not nimble and fast-thinking enough to be in the halves.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't when it's a kid that's played 20 odd games and hasn't established himself. Reserve also had the same issue as firstgrade with Cogger hogging the ball and being wasteful, Averillo finally gets some ball and bam try assist and try. Both Lewis and Cogger are done, they've hit their ceiling and it isn't good enough.

We're playing footy in front of absolutely no one, the pressure of firstgrade just isn't the same as normal. Like I said these kids are confident, they make a mistake and they just go again. Averillo jumped up to reserves last season and slotted in seamlessly and pretty much done so again at firstgrade level last night, I don't see them getting ruined in any way.
This season is a write off for us and the whole comp really its always going to have a asterix next to it. We won't win the comp, make the 8 and the Warriors will more then likely save us from the spoon.

We are using house money and might as well see who has it and who doesn't. Averillo isn't your typical junior get the NRL games into him ASAP.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan to coach our team in 21,our coach is a former harness racing driver ,great footballer but no idear, sure he doesn't run the plays or catch the ball but seriously how will we attract decent players,remis Smith isn't a centre period
Man, where would this place be without you and nasheed/youoboys?

A

Alexander the Great

I'm actually convinced nasheed is not Youoboys after a few posts if his last night.

Youoboys is just a dumb **** stealing Nasheeds thunder.
Man, where would this place be without you and nasheed/youoboys?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The big issue now, and it is the same for every club, because all the other grades are on hold no one outside the top 17 ( or should I say the 17 selected each week) will have much in the way of match fitness. Poor performance needs to be taken into account if dropping a player, but then you promote one who is under done and finds an issue completing games. We saw it over and over with Desmond's wonderful tactic of sitting a bloke on the bench, week in week out and not playing him with the additional problem of the change in rules which precluded those blokes playing lower grade depending on the timing of the matches.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm actually convinced nasheed is no Youoboys after a few posts if his last night.

Youoboys is just a dumb c*** stealing Nasheeds thunder.
I don't think they are the same person either. But I still find it funny nonetheless, especially when nasheed gets riled up :tearsofjoy:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This season is a write off for us and the whole comp really its always going to have a asterix next to it. We won't win the comp, make the 8 and the Warriors will more then likely save us from the spoon.

We are using house money and might as well see who has it and who doesn't. Averillo isn't your typical junior get the NRL games into him ASAP.
Are you suggesting we use one of the most unnecessary seasons in rugby league history as a trial season to speed up the process of finalising a squad before next yr??

You sir should be shown the door!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/stats/

On a positive JMK tops the tackle count for us two weeks running. But also is level with Hess for most missed. Those stats will change when the rest of round two is played of course

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The only number I can conceivably see on Lewis' back is 13. Beefcake up a bit and be like Radley or Murray. He is not nimble and fast-thinking enough to be in the halves.
The only problem is Lewis doesn’t have a running game

He takes a hit up as a last resort like last night he preferred to throw hospital passes to players in worse positions so he didn’t have to run

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They’re too inexperienced, and there’s not enough quality around them, it’ll be lambs to the slaughter. Cogger is a natural half, unlike Lewis and he’s got the right temperament to manage a side. We play left and right half, so provided they’re prepared properly (which is questionable), Wakeham will get plenty of opportunities at 6, without being burdened by having to manage everything
I think you summed it up nicely. They both are just not first grade ready.
However its about all we have ATM. Saying that, I think Averillo has more natural ability than Wakeham.

Crosscut

Waterboy
Reaction score
I agree with most re Lewis. I want to like him as a player but there is no penetration at 5/8. Averillo showed spark , some pace and confidence. Not bad for a 19 yr old. The NQ forwards are amongst the best in the comp. Big bastards and they never looked like losing. We have no creative forwards in which the halves can run off. This should have been the tactic in the 2nd half against tiring opposition forwards. I despair for my beloved Doggies. There are many young players that have been blooded at a young age. If they're good enough , age doesn't matter.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/stats/

On a positive JMK tops the tackle count for us two weeks running. But also is level with Hess for most missed. Those stats will change when the rest of round two is played of course
JMK is a cracker... Plenty of bulldog in him though would like to see him start or finish games and concentrate more on his attack.

A

Alexander the Great

2nd game back after injury. Not pre season triaing either. I think he will come good. He has shown us promise before. He just doesn't looks as nimble and fast as last season.
JMK is a cracker... Plenty of bulldog in him though would like to see him start or finish games and concentrate more on his attack.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2nd game back after injury. Not pre season triaing either. I think he will come good. He has shown us promise before. He just doesn't looks as nimble and fast as last season.
Like you said his speed and agility will come with fitness and game time considering pre-season lay off.. We still need another option out of dummy half because his not going to get that much better I reckon.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like Lewis as a footballer, I really do but watching Wakeham go around in the final 3rd without Lewis there was a thing of beauty.

Lewis just isn't a brilliant HB, average at best because he forces his footy.

He has a good opportunity to become a roaming lock if he bulks up and learns to run more. If I was Lewis I would take that.
I totally agree...
I know Lewis is adamant that he is a halfback, like I said before someone has to convince him he is not !!!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean is running out of time... if he wants to gamble his job on Lewis, good luck to him.

Blind Freddy could see the team clicked into gear and looked more fluid once Wakeham shifted to first receiver and Averillo joined him at 6.

What he will do is hedge his bets again... the sign of a nervous coach. He needs to show the same level of courage as he did last night and stick with what worked.

If the experiment fails, so be it, he tries another combination...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Averillo looks like one of those players you just have to have in your team because he will constantly pressure the defence and run at defenders. I think the 6 suits him perfectly, kid has some very good ball playing skills that I think we would see more of if he's positioned in the halves rather that at fullback. Api was a big loss, would've been a massive upgrade on what we have.
Agree man I think the six suits him aswell. Just depends on how we go with fullback. Our only real options are Meaney and Hoppa ATM ... Hoping we can eventually find a good balance there.