News Dogs to stick with Lewis in halves

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cogger must play 7, Wakeham 6 and keep Averillo on the bench, easing him into first grade. Lewis can see out his contract in the reggies where he belongs, he makes everyone else’s job harder with his lack of skill and vision
Why? Wakeham is a halfback play him at halfback. Averillo is a runner play him at 6. Lewis and Cogger are only stifling the development of the side at this rate, time to call it quits with the both of them.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Avo
Meaney
DWZ
Hoppa
Smith
Cogger / Lewis
Wakeham
Napa
JMK
Tolman
Britt
Jack
Elliot

Rt
Ogden
Rfm
Katoa / Lewis

Do it you dumb dog.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan to coach our team in 21,our coach is a former harness racing driver ,great footballer but no idear, sure he doesn't run the plays or catch the ball but seriously how will we attract decent players,remis Smith isn't a centre period
Another quality post Davey.
Seems you’re another one who doesn’t understand that Flanagan (because he’s a cheat and a grub) isn’t allowed to be a head coach until 2022 under his NRL parole conditions. So he won’t be coaching the Dogs in 2021. But your input, as usual, was appreciated. Sort of.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why? Wakeham is a halfback play him at halfback. Averillo is a runner play him at 6. Lewis and Cogger are only stifling the development of the side at this rate, time to call it quits with the both of them.
I like Cogger and Meaney, but i think something like this going forward would be sweet.. I just want an exciting spine again.

1. Averillo
6. Luai or Burton (whoever Penrith don't start hit them up with some decent coin)
7. Wakeham
9. Any decent hooker (wish we got Koriosau)

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Lewis played behind a brisbane pack he would be the messiah

Fact of the matter is no one is bending the line or making any real impact from our forwards other than Elliott.

The rest need to take a good hard look at themselves.

We need two big bastards to start in the front row, thats where we start and stop blaming Lewis

Kris keating played behind a monster pack, Lewis is playing behind some plodders.

I don't like to bag Pay and try to stay neutral, however, I have no clue how he can stick with Lewis in the halves. Kris Keating, who I never rated, did a better job for when he was in the halves. Lewis is by far the worse number 7 that I have seen in a Dogs jersey.

Defence should not be the selection criteria for a 7. First and foremost the 7 must know how to pass a ball, how to organise the team etc. Lewis has an awful passing game. Last year v Manly at Brookvale when the game was on the line we won the scrum and on the first tackles he threw a pass over Okenbur's head that went into touch.

Last night he was terrible.

It beggars belief that Pay intends to stick with Lewis. Dumb idea.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Lewis played behind a brisbane pack he would be the messiah

Fact of the matter is no one is bending the line or making any real impact from our forwards other than Elliott.

The rest need to take a good hard look at themselves.

We need two big bastards to start in the front row, thats where we start and stop blaming Lewis.
Unless that Brisbane pack magically gives Lewis the ability to run, have vision and pass properly I can't see them helping him too much.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like Cogger and Meaney, but i think something like this going forward would be sweet.. I just want an exciting spine again.

1. Averillo
6. Luai or Burton (whoever Penrith don't start hit them up with some decent coin)
7. Wakeham
9. Any decent hooker (wish we got Koriosau)
Averillo looks like one of those players you just have to have in your team because he will constantly pressure the defence and run at defenders. I think the 6 suits him perfectly, kid has some very good ball playing skills that I think we would see more of if he's positioned in the halves rather that at fullback. Api was a big loss, would've been a massive upgrade on what we have.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's sadly disappointing to see fellow supporters laugh at Lewis's saddened face on the side-line.
To me it's the expression of someone that cares,
Lewis has a certain ability to make it this far, it's up to the coaching team to direct him in the right way !!!

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They’re too inexperienced, and there’s not enough quality around them, it’ll be lambs to the slaughter. Cogger is a natural half, unlike Lewis and he’s got the right temperament to manage a side. We play left and right half, so provided they’re prepared properly (which is questionable), Wakeham will get plenty of opportunities at 6, without being burdened by having to manage everything

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They’re too inexperienced, and there’s not enough quality around them, it’ll be lambs to the slaughter. Cogger is a natural half, unlike Lewis and he’s got the right temperament to manage a side. We play left and right half, so provided they’re prepared properly (which is questionable), Wakeham will get plenty of opportunities at 6, without being burdened by having to manage everything
Who cares about experience. Cogger has played like 20 odd games and has hardly established himself at all so I don't see why he needs to be there...it's the same sort of thinking that got us Lewis. If he was an 100+ game NRL player then sure, but he just isn't.

Just play the players in their preferred roles and that's with Wakeham at halfback and Averillo alongside him. Confidence isn't going to be an issue with these two guys, may as well give them the minutes now while the crowds are gone and the season is one cough away from being called off.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who cares about experience. Cogger has played like 20 odd games and has hardly established himself at all so I don't see why he needs to be there...it's the same sort of thinking that got us Lewis. If he was an 100+ game NRL player then sure, but he just isn't.

Just play the players in their preferred roles and that's with Wakeham at halfback and Averillo alongside him. Confidence isn't going to be an issue with these two guys, may as well give them the minutes now while the crowds are gone and the season is one cough away from being called off.
What about a sneeze?

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Experience matters, you can’t just play a bunch of kids in first grade, especially in key positions and expect to compete and win. Averillo is only 19, doubt his body will handle the rigors of first grade, ease him into it, why potentially ruin him mentally and physically by asking too much now. And from what I’ve seen of Wakeham he’s only a 50/50 chance of making it, there’s some glaring deficiencies in his game. I’m not saying Coggers the long term solution, but IMO he’s best suited for the job now. You can’t compare him and Lewis, Lewis has never had the skill set and it’s just poor coaching and talent identification that’s allowed him to play as much first grade as he has. Wouldn’t have got a game anywhere else. I understand and respect your opinion, I just think you’re wrong lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Experience matters, you can’t just play a bunch of kids in first grade, especially in key positions and expect to compete and win. Averillo is only 19, doubt his body will handle the rigors of first grade, ease him into it, why potentially ruin him mentally and physically by asking too much now. And from what I’ve seen of Wakeham he’s only a 50/50 chance of making it, there’s some glaring deficiencies in his game. I’m not saying Coggers the long term solution, but IMO he’s best suited for the job now. You can’t compare him and Lewis, Lewis has never had the skill set and it’s just poor coaching and talent identification that’s allowed him to play as much first grade as he has. Wouldn’t have got a game anywhere else. I understand and respect your opinion, I just think you’re wrong lol
It doesn't when it's a kid that's played 20 odd games and hasn't established himself. Reserve also had the same issue as firstgrade with Cogger hogging the ball and being wasteful, Averillo finally gets some ball and bam try assist and try. Both Lewis and Cogger are done, they've hit their ceiling and it isn't good enough.

We're playing footy in front of absolutely no one, the pressure of firstgrade just isn't the same as normal. Like I said these kids are confident, they make a mistake and they just go again. Averillo jumped up to reserves last season and slotted in seamlessly and pretty much done so again at firstgrade level last night, I don't see them getting ruined in any way.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's sadly disappointing to see fellow supporters laugh at Lewis's saddened face on the side-line.
To me it's the expression of someone that cares,
Lewis has a certain ability to make it this far, it's up to the coaching team to direct him in the right way !!!
I like Lewis as a footballer, I really do but watching Wakeham go around in the final 3rd without Lewis there was a thing of beauty.

Lewis just isn't a brilliant HB, average at best because he forces his footy.

He has a good opportunity to become a roaming lock if he bulks up and learns to run more. If I was Lewis I would take that.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo must start don’t care where but he won’t get the experience sitting on a bench. Our season is not going anywhere so play the kid.