Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
MARCH 20 2020 - 3:32AM
Dogs to stick with Lewis in halves
  • Scott Bailey
Canterbury coach Dean Pay insists changes aren't needed in the halves despite hooking Lachlan Lewis in their loss to North Queensland.

Lewis was taken from the field after 55 minutes in the 22-16 defeat, as the Bulldogs were error-ridden in attack and struggled in defence in the opening half.

The 23-year-old has been given the all-important No.7 jersey this year, with rookie Brandon Wakeham outside him in the league's least experienced pairing.

With Kieran Foran's season ruined by a shoulder injury, Jack Cogger waits in the wings after being dropped out of the halves late last year.

But Pay said there was no need to change things at playmaker for the Bulldogs after two straight losses to start the year.

"We have (the right pairing)," Pay said.

"But they need to learn how to control a game. And tonight was a real lesson for them in how to control a game and what the team needs.

"We'll address it during the week. He will learn from it and we will have a good look at it and make sure we work hard at it."

Canterbury made 17 errors in Friday night's loss, as they had just 43 per cent of the ball at an empty ANZ Stadium.

Lewis scored the team's opening try and kicked an early 40-20, but it went downhill quickly for the Bulldogs.

"He will learn from it, he will be better for it," Pay said.

"(It was) just the way we were coming up with errors and putting ourselves under pressure all the time.

"He wasn't on his own. There were a number of our players coming up with simple errors."

Australian Associated Press

:(
Listen to the press conference yourselves without the brackets

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a joke !! Didn’t he see the improvement once Averillo came on and he took Lewis off lol. This is why pay does not have what it takes..!!
He probably hooked him for his missed tackles not the lack of playing ability :p

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm done I'm not going to the game next week

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Miss leading title. Pay just said what he had to to cover himself and Lewis in the presser. It's probably more 50/50 if he plays or not. If you're hooked you probably need to go to reserve grade (it's postponed anyways) as your confidence is going to be shot.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
I'm all for giving the media nothing, because it's what I'd do as a coach. You could tell by the questions they asked him that they were wanting a "Fall from grace - The Prince dethroned" type story line to write about from this game.

If Pay comes out and says "Yeah, look, we got our halves pairings wrong, Lewis was stunting our attack and won't be back in the 7 next week" then the media can and will tear Lewis to bits. I know a lot of people on here feels he already deserves to be knocked down a peg or two (or twenty) but the last thing we want is the media to have that story line to run with. Then no matter what they'll put heaps of pressure on him, and if we later need him to start for whatever reason (say through injury) then they'll add on as much pressure as they can and try to keep him from playing at his 100%. Lewis will be training with the team regardless, so if the media makes him their pin cushion, that will affect his training and affect the mood at training for all players.

I still don't fully agree with Pay's 17, but at least from what we saw, Averillo got his debut in round 2 (and got at least some decent game time to prove himself), and Lewis got hooked. I'm sure most of us here want to see Averillo (6) and Wakeham (7) next week - it probably won't happen - but if it were to happen, the last thing I'd want is Pay giving the media some ammunition and the free reign to start tearing down our team.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Reckon he's in a trance Scoobs? :grinning:
What a joke !! Didn’t he see the improvement once Averillo came on and he took Lewis off lol. This is why pay does not have what it takes..!!

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well hooking him wouldn't have done his confidence any good, did you see the look on his face? I couldn't help but laugh.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Someone needs to pair the look on LLs face with that "hello darkness my old friend" I think it would go well lol.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Wakeham was pedestrian last night. Changing the halves will make things worse. He shouldve stuck with cogger and Lewis to begin with

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Lewis is like the stereotypical jock in an American NFL movie that thinks he's the best but in reality is quite poor...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wakeham was pedestrian last night. Changing the halves will make things worse. He shouldve stuck with cogger and Lewis to begin with
Na

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't give a shit what he says, more interested in seeing what happens round 3 and who starts and who plays where..

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cogger must play 7, Wakeham 6 and keep Averillo on the bench, easing him into first grade. Lewis can see out his contract in the reggies where he belongs, he makes everyone else’s job harder with his lack of skill and vision

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan to coach our team in 21,our coach is a former harness racing driver ,great footballer but no idear, sure he doesn't run the plays or catch the ball but seriously how will we attract decent players,remis Smith isn't a centre period