Opinion It's not Pays fault

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most players in this current side have been signed or re-signed by Pay.

Out of all the available options he chose Crichton to sign. He moves Smith to the centres because that's what Smith wanted. He tells Lewis he's not in the teams plans then re-signs him twice. JMK was brought to the club by Pay. So was Stimson and Katoa who he choses not to use.

Who's available in 21 that's decent and can be signed? We can sign players for 21, the deadline has passed, who have we lined up. Look at the off contract list, there's no one that's going to turn things around, sure a player or two might be released from their contract but they're not always the best players.

In any business the buck stops with the leader. In the real world try being a manager and blaming your workers and see how far that gets you.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you honestly think Pay is a good coach, you have issues with the game and don't understand it.
He maybe a nice guy and a good bloke to have a beer with, but as a leader and game manager or even a bloke who knows the tactics of Rugby League, he is useless.
The management have no control of or respect from the players, hence these off field dramas. Price ( another job for mates) is football manager. What is he doing really?
Pay CAN NOT see out the year if we are again 2 from 9 FFS

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
its not his fault he has a certain squad who he must pick and see who's fit to play first grade not to mention our salary cap drama that ends next year but it's not his fault if a player knocks on or can't break tackles during game day ain't his fault in training in his eyes they look good cause they are are doing all the drills and practical things right but on the field they do nothing and that's what pisses a coach off can't sack all these certain players hoping the players in our reserves do the job do I think certain young guys deserve a shot yes but if I name them I will be servely criticised
Last nights dreadful showing was not his fault at all. I dont know what got hold of the team, but they were shocking! I kept thinking to myself, this time we will hold onto the ball. No. Ok, this time we will hold onto the ball, no. It was a fucking disgrace!!!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
FFS we had a player in the bin for 10 minutes and we only lost by 8 points geez some on here are damn hard to please!
We gifted away 22 points by simple dropped balls and a string of penalties, culminating in a sin binning. That's all our fault.
If we hadn't scored 30 seconds from full time, the margin would have been greater. Yes, we picked up slightly in the second half, but that's because the Cowboys had enough of a lead to ease back because we were no threat.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't see the game mate.

Just going by what people said about our performance. Just think we're all expecting a bit more.
It was their worst performance in a long time; and I've seen some shockers from them.
Pay will have to drop some to sharpen their skills, and demonstrate to the rest that their positions are not guaranteed. What harm can it do?

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Braith anasta brought it up pre game he said it’s the ball to tolman, a left and right sweep to the edges and a bomb.. said it’s predicable he said our forwards lay the way. I was really impressed with averllo, and Wakeham at the end but the whole Team was average let’s be honest ball handling was soooo bad.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was their worst performance in a long time; and I've seen some shockers from them.
Pay will have to drop some to sharpen their skills, and demonstrate to the rest that their positions are not guaranteed. What harm can it do?
Was good to see him drop Lewis he did a lot of silly things but did some good things , even his defence was off last night

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would agree if half the team wasnt out of position and we had better players available but not playing/starting.

Its Dud Pay's fault.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
its not his fault he has a certain squad who he must pick and see who's fit to play first grade not to mention our salary cap drama that ends next year but it's not his fault if a player knocks on or can't break tackles during game day ain't his fault in training in his eyes they look good cause they are are doing all the drills and practical things right but on the field they do nothing and that's what pisses a coach off can't sack all these certain players hoping the players in our reserves do the job do I think certain young guys deserve a shot yes but if I name them I will be servely criticised
The salary cap drama ends this year champ. We need a big name player.

My thought... BUY ADDO-CARR.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need a new coach that is a must.Pay has had ample,time to mould this squad into a far better unit than what they show now.Poor selections and useless game plans are the norm with this coach.So who can we sign? Nathan Brown MIGHT be worth a look IMO.Before the screamers start getting bunched panties here is some facts.He took on Saints and the Knights after they were reduced to rubble and eventually built them up to have very good rosters.He knows what is needed to be done and is a very good skills coach.
I know the Knights got wooden spoons etc but look at the players who were willing to come there when they opened their war chest,do you think Pay will have the same success attracting big names.
We need a coach to strip back this team and give them the skills to adapt during the game and have a firm belief in where they go as a team unit and build to that over time.Brown has done that twice.
Flame on.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay needs to take ownership of this rabble ffs... don't let him off the hook. the bar for getting into the NRL finals is very low. you just need to come 8th out of 16th... that is a pathetically low bar and Pay has had the team for two seasons are they are going backwards. We may as well have kept Dessie.

Dymock would have done better. you know if Dymock was in charge now, we would have at least tried to sort out probs we have in the spine. We would have Ogden and Renouf playing more time so that we can get the team up the farkin park. Not this one out stuff to plodders. I'm prepared to eat my words a bit on Elliot, provided the other 2 backrowers are not undersized plodders. you can have Elliot at lock if the two second rowers are big boppers who do some damage. But you can't have Stimson, Jacko and Elliot in the same starting back row ffs. If it wasn't for our backs - Crichton, Hoppa, Reimis and DWS - taking hit ups off our line, we'd have been camped on our 20m line all game. And with Wakeham and Lewis kicking straight down Val's throat, the Cowboys were marching down the field with their big boppers - Taumalolo, Hess, Asiata etc. I mean why have we got a pack full of Grimaldi wannabes? Undersized plodders, who work hard, but don't do any effective work. Pay's kidding isn't he? This isn't 1995. Blokes are bigger these days. We need to pick up some big blokes... it will be frightening when our pack comes up against the likes of Haas, Fifita and Pangai junior. I mean, those blokes will farkin dominate us. I don't care how much heart Jacko and Elliot have got, they will get chewed up by those blokes based on pure size and talent. Heart doesn't mean anything when blokes have got 15 or 20kgs on you and are just as hungry and full of desire.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many are right , pay can't take responsibility for dropping the balls, but he certainly can take responsibility for the lead up play and disorganisation that lead to the drop balls.

He can certainly take credit for tolman being far too involved in attack. And as for tolmans "great stats" at least half of his running metres come from burning tackles in the opposition 20..

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to believe Pay is telling the halves to throw Tolman the ball inside the 20. I think it's easier to believe that the halves aren't thinking or taking the easy option (it's honestly a waste of a tackle). Everyone that follows the Bulldogs knows you don't give Tolman the ball that close to the try line (there are props in the NRL you can but obviously not Tolman). He isn't effective whatsoever. We've seen this since Des' days too.
I'd agree with you here if it happened once or maybe twice but the fact that it has been happening consistently for years tells me otherwise.
If Pay had an issue (Which he certainly should) with the halves giving it to Tolman on the 4th in the opposition 20m, this would have been drilled in to them to stop it in 2018.
Tolman is an effective workhorse and a good communicator but he is no battering ram to be charging at the line from 10m out.
This is a job for Payne Haas, Junior Paulo or someone like this.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
its pays fault that he took the job, he should learn from this

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not pays fault lol, well fuck!!!l until we get a new coach it’s going to be torture.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most players in this current side have been signed or re-signed by Pay.

Out of all the available options he chose Crichton to sign. He moves Smith to the centres because that's what Smith wanted. He tells Lewis he's not in the teams plans then re-signs him twice. JMK was brought to the club by Pay. So was Stimson and Katoa who he choses not to use.

Who's available in 21 that's decent and can be signed? We can sign players for 21, the deadline has passed, who have we lined up. Look at the off contract list, there's no one that's going to turn things around, sure a player or two might be released from their contract but they're not always the best players.

In any business the buck stops with the leader. In the real world try being a manager and blaming your workers and see how far that gets you.
Great post.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we fucking go. Same shit for 3 years and gretting worse. But yeah the coach doesnt have to accept responsibility at this club. Even if we won last night. We were still shit as. People defending him tell me why then everyone is playing out of position, probably try and blame hasler wont yez.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Here we fucking go. Same shit for 3 years and gretting worse. But yeah the coach doesnt have to accept responsibility at this club. Even if we won last night. We were still shit as. People defending him tell me why then everyone is playing out of position, probably try and blame hasler wont yez.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is how inept our back three are under a bomb. This particular area of the park has been a problem long before Pay arrived. Last night the Cowboys scored three times after we spilled bombs either on the next set or on a repeat set after a goal line dropout. Spilled bombs followed by repeat sets put enormous pressure on our defence.

Not many teams can cope with this. We should be coming out of our end with the ball not doing more tackling.

To me this is the first problem that has to be fixed. Hopoate and Meaney seem the best we have at defusing kicke so we need a right winger. This is the main reason why the Reimis experiment has to stop. That seems our best back three. DWZ goes to right centre and either Averillo or Dutchy to left centre. Cogger to 6 and Wakeham to 7.

We have forwards who can offload but you rarely see our fullback sniffing around the ruck looking for the offload. Since Barba left this has been missing from our game 90% or more of the time.

Until CHN returns i would consider playing Elliott and Jackson on the edges, Tolman at lock where he tackles and tackles some more but stays out of the game when we have the ball. Bring Renouf T in to partner Napa and if we have to play RFM it is as an interchange prop.

Diffusing bombs should have been a priority fix years ago. Obviously it hasn't been done.