Opinion It's not Pays fault

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
its not his fault he has a certain squad who he must pick and see who's fit to play first grade not to mention our salary cap drama that ends next year but it's not his fault if a player knocks on or can't break tackles during game day ain't his fault in training in his eyes they look good cause they are are doing all the drills and practical things right but on the field they do nothing and that's what pisses a coach off can't sack all these certain players hoping the players in our reserves do the job do I think certain young guys deserve a shot yes but if I name them I will be servely criticised

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The team is full of wood ducks in critical positions that Pay is hopeful will take him down the river Nile.. but there is a big chance it will sh*t creek instead..

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The team is full of wood ducks in critical positions that Pay is hopeful will take him down the river Nile there is a big chance it will sh*t creek instead..
Never know it's only round 2 still early days and this no fans and the way the media is going about this virus don't help and the media about the hotel school girls of pay has a good team and still can't get the job done then that's defiantly a time to sack him we have a average team with so far a average coach who has yet to prove him self

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
its not his fault he has a certain squad who he must pick and see who's fit to play first grade not to mention our salary cap drama that ends next year but it's not his fault if a player knocks on or can't break tackles during game day ain't his fault in training in his eyes they look good cause they are are doing all the drills and practical things right but on the field they do nothing and that's what pisses a coach off can't sack all these certain players hoping the players in our reserves do the job do I think certain young guys deserve a shot yes but if I name them I will be servely criticised
Look. I didn't see the game so can't comment on how it went.

However, from my side a defeat is always going to lead to questions about the squad. Especially when it's two on the trot. Sure, he's inherited a lot of these players but at the same time he's also chosen most of them to start. I think we have to understand and respect supporters showing concern at this time, as it seems as though history is repeating here.

Yes, the players make mistakes. Yes there's only so much he can do with them. No doubt. But at the same time the question a lot of people will be asking is what's improved over those years he's been here? Which players have got better? What has he done in regard to our style of play?

The benchmark for this year was defence. This comes from his mouth. Defence. Defence. Defence. OK. But judging by comments today our defence was rubbish in many ways. Of course people are going to call him out for that.

He guaranteed first halves spot to Lewis. Fair enough. His call. But he did that very very early on in the preseason apparently. Lewis is playing gash according to most people here. Of course people are going to call him out for that.

He bought a new hooker. Hasn't really played him much apparently. Of course people are going to call him out for that.

He had a whole preseason to drill a style of play. Today we saw none of that. To many it seems like we didn't do anything in the preseason. Of course people are going to call him out for that.

Pay's a grown man in a very tough position. We all understand the problems he's had with this team, the salary cap etc. etc. However, each person needs to be evaluated on what they're doing with the resources they have. And I think that's all people are doing.

No one is expecting grand final wins. Or top 4. Or even top 8. The expectations are quite low. And being so low and we're not meeting them .... of course people are going to call him out.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He does have the weakest roster in the comp to play with but his attacking structures are crap. One out forward hit ups then when Lewis gets the ball it's a pass to Tolman or a bomb on the last. I'm sick of forwards doing hit ups & getting in the way when we are on the attack 10 meters out. He coaches like Hasler when he was out of ideas before he was sacked.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He does have the weakest roster in the comp to play with but his attacking structures are crap. One out forward hit ups then when Lewis gets the ball it's a pass to Tolman or a bomb on the last. I'm sick of forwards doing hit ups & getting in the way when we are on the attack 10 meters out. He coaches like Hasler when he was out of ideas before he was sacked.
It's hard to believe Pay is telling the halves to throw Tolman the ball inside the 20. I think it's easier to believe that the halves aren't thinking or taking the easy option (it's honestly a waste of a tackle). Everyone that follows the Bulldogs knows you don't give Tolman the ball that close to the try line (there are props in the NRL you can but obviously not Tolman). He isn't effective whatsoever. We've seen this since Des' days too.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
It is a bit tough when CHN, Foran and Holland are out. that's the attack virtually wiped out.

I don't know what happened to our defence in first half. Unlike us.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's hard to believe Pay is telling the halves to throw Tolman the ball inside the 20. I think it's easier to believe that the halves aren't thinking or taking the easy option (it's honestly a waste of a tackle). Everyone that follows the Bulldogs knows you don't give Tolman the ball that close to the try line (there are props in the NRL you can but obviously not Tolman). He isn't effective whatsoever. We've seen this since Des' days too.
If that's the case, why's he starting them? It all comes back to the coach. If they're following his orders, then he's an idiot. If they're going against his plan, then he's a spineless idiot. Either way he's an idiot.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He does pick the players every week and does a poor job in rotating his bench. The likes of Meaney, JMK and Stimson barely played pre season and is elevated to the starting side. He has persisted with smith in centres despite him being poor in the trials and both games. I don’t see why Tolman has to play 60-70 mins per game. Our attacking structures and style of play has not improved. I understand he is dealt with a poor squad and a bear thin salary cap. However, he has not spent it wisely. We signed two second rowers and no noticeable player for the backline.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Go and get checked up please
2 years and 2 games and we still can’t see a set pattern or anything resembling a structure

Never picks the strongest team avail
Players out of position
Line speed disgraceful
Attack non existent
Aggression 10% of the game max
Simple catch and pass or support play no where to be seen

And then re-sign the same wood ducks that need to be flicked under your watch and claim u have the weakest roster.

2021 anyone?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Never know it's only round 2 still early days and this no fans and the way the media is going about this virus don't help and the media about the hotel school girls of pay has a good team and still can't get the job done then that's defiantly a time to sack him we have a average team with so far a average coach who has yet to prove him self
Your arguments are incoherent and average so I cant say I agree with your opinion because you haven’t put forward one I can actually understand and relate to sorry mate.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Look. I didn't see the game so can't comment on how it went.

However, from my side a defeat is always going to lead to questions about the squad. Especially when it's two on the trot. Sure, he's inherited a lot of these players but at the same time he's also chosen most of them to start. I think we have to understand and respect supporters showing concern at this time, as it seems as though history is repeating here.

Yes, the players make mistakes. Yes there's only so much he can do with them. No doubt. But at the same time the question a lot of people will be asking is what's improved over those years he's been here? Which players have got better? What has he done in regard to our style of play?

The benchmark for this year was defence. This comes from his mouth. Defence. Defence. Defence. OK. But judging by comments today our defence was rubbish in many ways. Of course people are going to call him out for that.

He guaranteed first halves spot to Lewis. Fair enough. His call. But he did that very very early on in the preseason apparently. Lewis is playing gash according to most people here. Of course people are going to call him out for that.

He bought a new hooker. Hasn't really played him much apparently. Of course people are going to call him out for that.

He had a whole preseason to drill a style of play. Today we saw none of that. To many it seems like we didn't do anything in the preseason. Of course people are going to call him out for that.

Pay's a grown man in a very tough position. We all understand the problems he's had with this team, the salary cap etc. etc. However, each person needs to be evaluated on what they're doing with the resources they have. And I think that's all people are doing.

No one is expecting grand final wins. Or top 4. Or even top 8. The expectations are quite low. And being so low and we're not meeting them .... of course people are going to call him out.
FFS we had a player in the bin for 10 minutes and we only lost by 8 points geez some on here are damn hard to please!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He must've been sleeping when they were practicing their attacking drills coz they looked so disjointed in attack...... Its crazy to think that this is a premier sporting competition worth a billion dollars and you have a team that runs out onto the field not knowing what to do when they have the ball in hand. It's unacceptable for professional sportsmen to dish up that shit.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
FFS we had a player in the bin for 10 minutes and we only lost by 8 points geez some on here are damn hard to please!
Didn't see the game mate.

Just going by what people said about our performance. Just think we're all expecting a bit more.